Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help very important

allie1220
October 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I was hoping that someone could help me. i have a 5 month old husky/lab puppy who loves to play with my 9 month old cat. the dog plays somewhat rough and my bf is terrified that the dog will hurt the cat. is this normal? I have been told that it is a dominance thing, is that true?

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Generally, if neither of the participants are getting hurt or seem to be upset by the play (ie, they don't squeal or run away) then they're probably pulling their punches enough for it to be just play. Youngsters do play pretty rough, both cats and dogs. Hard to tell what's going on with your two without being able to see the interactions, though.

Welcome to the board, allie. Any chance we could get some pics of your furbabies? :D

sugarcatmom
October 24th, 2010, 09:23 PM
the dog plays somewhat rough and my bf is terrified that the dog will hurt the cat.

Lots of cats have been killed by dogs that were "just playing", so it is possible. Does your cat have places it can escape to, especially up high on either a tall cat condo or bookshelves, or another room that the dog can't get into? How reliable is your dog's obedience? If things are getting rough, does he come when you call him? I personally wouldn't leave the 2 of them alone unsupervised until you're confident that neither will harm the other (cats can be pretty nasty too when they feel cornered). Here are some tips for keeping the peace between them: http://www.labadoption.org/wp-content/uploads/Cats.pdf#zoom=100%

I have been told that it is a dominance thing, is that true?

Baloney. The term "dominance" is being thrown around far too liberally these days. This is a case of dogs and cats being dogs and cats. Don't read too much into it.

luckypenny
October 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Here's a video that will help you teach your pup "leave it" which can be applied to most everything including your kitten. You can then redirect him to a favorite toy and praise when he does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

14+kitties
October 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Another site with ideas on how to keep the kitten safe from the dog..........

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/dogscats.html

I am hoping the kitten is not declawed:pray:. That will help with the dog's aggression toward the kitten too. A few hard swipes is sometimes what is needed.
Your BF is right on the money. Dogs can and do hurt cats badly. :(

BenMax
October 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
The key to success of intergrating any animal (be it within the same species or different species) is the safe introduction of both animals. There are very specific ways to introduce. You cannot put one in with the other if neither has been exposed or is accepting of each other. It is gradual and takes time. One other very important aspect of this is noticing any prey drive in the dog at all. This is also very important in knowing how to introduce and if this will work out safely.

Please note that huskies have a very high prey drive. Though your dog is mixed husky/lab - what traits does your dog possess? More husky or more lab?

lilwhitefurball
October 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Generally, if neither of the participants are getting hurt or seem to be upset by the play

well, maybe if not anyone of then gets to be hurt, then it can be a mock play- a paw play. Sometimes, we tend to "freak out" with these sights especially when it comes to cats and dogs. both are really loving animals. I used to have a cat, he lost his mom just a month after he has weaned, he warms himself by tucking in one of the goose' nest when she was hatching some eggs. sitdown (the goose) welcomes him, even plays with him. :laughing:

but, when anybody starts getting hurt then appropriate measures need be done. "off" command does you help.:thumbs up

BenMax
October 25th, 2010, 01:30 PM
well, maybe if not anyone of then gets to be hurt, then it can be a mock play- a paw play. Sometimes, we tend to "freak out" with these sights especially when it comes to cats and dogs. both are really loving animals. I used to have a cat, he lost his mom just a month after he has weaned, he warms himself by tucking in one of the goose' nest when she was hatching some eggs. sitdown (the goose) welcomes him, even plays with him. :laughing:

but, when anybody starts getting hurt then appropriate measures need be done. "off" command does you help.:thumbs up

Sorry to interject but the first thing to do is to find out if your dog has prey drive when introducing another animal.

I have seen and had a tragic event due to a dog with a high prey drive, and the eventual death of an animal due to this prey drive. It ain't pretty and 'Off' or 'Leave it' does NOT work with an animal that is fixed to kill another. No one will sell this to me.

The OP needs to know firstly what breed is the predominent breed in her pup. We can take it from there on how to help her based on this first.

I say - better safe than sorry....really sorry.

allie1220
October 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM
First of all thanks for all the replies...all advice is welcome. well my bf thinks that our dog Bella is more Lab than husky but has some husky characterisics. She has a lot of energy for sure but can be very lovable. She has the colors of the mixed breeds but the blue eyes of a husky. What exactly is prey drive?

sugarcatmom
October 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
What exactly is prey drive?

The instinct to chase and kill smaller animals.

BenMax
October 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Allie - in order to understand more about your pup, I would be reading about the breeds to understand what your dog is trying to communicate to you through body language and characteristics that are relevant within the breed.

LuckyPenny I am certain will be able to provide you with some great reading material in reference to prey drive and what it means and how to try to control it...if it can be controlled. You need to indentify if your dog has prey drive before trying to tackle it if in fact the dog has it.