Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I love my customers!!!

14+kitties
October 23rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
A few weeks ago a customer asked me to take 5 or 6 cats her daughter had. No reason. She just wants them out of her house. She's not sure if there's five or six. She says they've all been fixed and are over a year old. I think her daughter "rescued" them. I told her then I was more than full and could not afford more cats until I found homes for some of the ones I have now. She told me she would pay for the cats' food if I took them. I told her again - no room, can't afford more.

So fast forward to last night. I haven't seen this customer since that time. When I saw her cashing out at the express I immediately said no. She laughed and said she hadn't even had a chance to say anything yet. I said she didn't have to. I knew she was going to ask. Just saving her the trouble. I reminded her I could not take the cats because you just can't take cats and put them in with others and expect them to get along. It is finally at the point where the kitties in the Catuary have found their places and their little squabbles are down to almost nothing. She says "Don't you have a barn you can put them in?" :wall::wall: DUH!!! I guess because we live in the country everyone has a barn. :shrug: I said no and even if I did they would not be in it. The cats are in the sanctuary to keep them safe. :wall: A barn does not guarantee safety.

Was this the end of it? Nooooooo... she said to think about it some more and see what I could do. So, I reminded her she had said she would pay for the food. Seeing as she volunteered to do that I told her I would need $50 a week for the next 15 years minimum. She looked at me like I had grown another head. FIFTY DOLLARS A WEEK! she said. I said yes, my cats are fed canned food. Not dry. The dry food they get is supplemental feeding only and does not amount to a lot on a daily basis. Their staple is canned food. So another 5 or 6 cats would add at least $50 a week to a budget that is already in the red. :shrug:
Wanna know what her reply was?
Wait for it ...
Well, that's just stupid!!!! :wall:

I guess I am supposed to take her cats, put them in a non existant barn and feed them crap dry food for the rest of their lives. Which would be very short because they would be getting out of the barn and being killed by cars, coyotes, or the tenants Shepherds. Lord, give me strength.................

Love4himies
October 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
:wall::wall::wall::wall:, she sounds like a real winner :loser:. Sounds like somebody who expects others to clean up their mess :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

Chris21711
October 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
How did you stop yourself from reaching for her throat 14k....:wall:

14+kitties
October 23rd, 2010, 06:42 PM
There's a lot of them out there. Last night I got to listen to a customer tell me she was doing her female cats a favour when she took their kittens as soon as they were born and drowned them in a pail of cold water with a lid on. :sick: She has a horse farm and could not afford to have a bunch a cats running around and people keep dropping them off. So..... this is how she deals with it. She said my "thing" was cats. Hers was horses. Yeah right.
:candle::rip: sweet babies :candle:

14+kitties
October 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
How did you stop yourself from reaching for her throat 14k....:wall:

Actually Chris, I thought of you yelling 14+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Love4himies
October 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
There's a lot of them out there. Last night I got to listen to a customer tell me she was doing her female cats a favour when she took their kittens as soon as they were born and drowned them in a pail of cold water with a lid on. :sick: She has a horse farm and could not afford to have a bunch a cats running around and people keep dropping them off. So..... this is how she deals with it. She said my "thing" was cats. Hers was horses. Yeah right.
:candle::rip: sweet babies :candle:

OMG :wall:, has she thought about spaying her females. :wall::wall:

14+kitties
October 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
OMG :wall:, has she thought about spaying her females. :wall::wall:

I asked her that. She said she wasn't going to "waste" her money to get the cats fixed just to have them run out on the road and get killed. Unfortunately that is the prevailing thought around this area. Why waste our money? Why bother to try to keep the cats safe? Why bother to feed them? Why bother? They are only cats.:(

Chris21711
October 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Actually Chris, I thought of you yelling 14+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Well you know I would have don't you :o

14+kitties
October 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Well you know I would have don't you :o

I don't think I would have that job much longer if I started choking all the stupid customers who make ridiculous comments. They have no idea. I just have to learn to shut up about cats when I'm working. But occasionally I do convince someone to fix their cats. Or feed them better food. Or keep them indoors......... Just last week a customer told me to take a bag of dry stuff off his bill because I told him canned was much better for his kitties. He even thanked me for telling him and explaining why male cats in particular need canned. :thumbs up

Love4himies
October 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
I asked her that. She said she wasn't going to "waste" her money to get the cats fixed just to have them run out on the road and get killed. Unfortunately that is the prevailing thought around this area. Why waste our money? Why bother to try to keep the cats safe? Why bother to feed them? Why bother? They are only cats.:(

:yell::yell::yell::wall: And then some people wonder why some of us explode at breeding threads :mad:

14+kitties
October 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM
:yell::yell::yell::wall: And then some people wonder why some of us explode at breeding threads :mad:

Yep. But sometimes our opinions just don't matter. :shrug:
Anyway...... gonna go feed Benni and then relax for a while.........

Love4himies
October 23rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Yep. But sometimes our opinions just don't matter. :shrug:
Anyway...... gonna go feed Benni and then relax for a while.........

Goodnight :grouphug:, sending lots of :goodvibes: for Benni, I think of her often.

14+kitties
October 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Goodnight :grouphug:, sending lots of :goodvibes: for Benni, I think of her often.

'Night mf. :grouphug: I will give Benni a hug for you. :thumbs up

Etown_Chick
October 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I just do not get how so many people think of dogs (birds, lizards whatever) as valued pets and cats as disposables.
I just don't.

chico2
October 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM
omg 14+,i had to go and have a smoke after reading this,it just makes me very upset...i can just imagine what it does to you:(
i don't understand why people believe dumping cats in a barn is ok,they more than likely don't care,period:evil:

i hope this woman does not know your address,or she might just drop the cats off.
i really feel for these poor unloved little cats,but i am glad you had the strength to say no:grouphug:

how is benni doing? still not eating on her own?

ancientgirl
October 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Unreal. So she's putting a guilt trip on you to take these cats when she doesn't want to take the responsibility for them? It boggles my mind how stupid people can be.

14+kitties
October 24th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I just do not get how so many people think of dogs (birds, lizards whatever) as valued pets and cats as disposables.
I just don't.

When/if you find out can you share please? I've been trying to figure it out for years. :(

omg 14+,i had to go and have a smoke after reading this,it just makes me very upset...i can just imagine what it does to you:(
i don't understand why people believe dumping cats in a barn is ok,they more than likely don't care,period:evil:

i hope this woman does not know your address,or she might just drop the cats off.
i really feel for these poor unloved little cats,but i am glad you had the strength to say no:grouphug:

how is benni doing? still not eating on her own?

She doesn't know my address chico. Although it wouldn't be that hard to find it. :rolleyes: I suspect they will end up one day either out in the country or at a shelter. Her daughter wants to keep them but mom is adamant. As to how I feel - it makes me sick. I can't make people understand that cats deserve the same respect dogs get. There is no way they would get the same treatment as cats do. No way. Although the woman who was telling me about drowning the kittens also told me when she was growing up her father, an ordained minister, used to drown their puppies too. :(:sick:

Unreal. So she's putting a guilt trip on you to take these cats when she doesn't want to take the responsibility for them? It boggles my mind how stupid people can be.

I have broad shoulders I guess. People know I have a small cat sanctuary. They think I can add more and not have to pay more to feed them. :confused:

chico2
October 25th, 2010, 09:09 AM
you know,there was a time,when i thought i was the only one who cared about cats or animals in general,nobody i knew would go the extra mile to help an animal.
then this forum happened and i know i am not alone,everyone here are wonderful..:grouphug:

14+,i hope this woman does not bother you anymore:pray:

Goldfields
October 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Not all dogs get treated better than cats, 14+. I knew someone who'd get her husband to shoot pups they couldn't find homes for, which was most of each litter probably, and if he was doing a fence on their farm, to dump the poor babes down the post hole rather than dig them a grave. She said it was hard to shoot them at 12 weeks when they were jumping up wanting to be patted. Sickening.:(

aslan
October 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Not all dogs get treated better than cats, 14+. I knew someone who'd get her husband to shoot pups they couldn't find homes for, which was most of each litter probably, and if he was doing a fence on their farm, to dump the poor babes down the post hole rather than dig them a grave. She said it was hard to shoot them at 12 weeks when they were jumping up wanting to be patted. Sickening.:(

She never said they were,,but a good 90% of the time they are. Yes dogs are abused, pups killed etc but the majority of the time cats are treated as totally disposable..for every member here that looooves their cats to death and would do anything for them their are a good 20 or more who couldn't care less about them..I'm with Chris 14+ i'd be throttling someone in your shoes.

Love4himies
October 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Goldfelds, you are right, not all dogs are treated better than cats. I don't know how it is in Australia, but there is a "GENERAL" feeling here in Canada that dogs are more worthy than cats. :(. I know another "14+kitties" in Edmonton who had the same set up as 14+ and got all her strays spayed/neutered because people would just dump them off on the highway :yell: :(. These were not feral or semi feral cats, they were 100% domesticated and she didn't have neighbours so they were dumped ones. Some so skinny she didn't know where they got the energy to walk another step :(.

People just don't have a tendency to do that with dogs. How many unaltered dogs are left to run around the farms to continuously reproduce and fend for themselves :(, or just dumped on the side of the highway.

14+kitties
October 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks ladies. :grouphug: I am tired of justifying my beliefs when it comes to this reality. I live it daily. I've cleaned up people's messes for them before. I can no longer afford to do it. My pay check only stretches so far.
Funny, I know there are dogs dumped and/or given up on. Most dogs are either given up to the pound or taken to a vet to be put down. And please folks, I'm talking about in my area. I know up north it is much worse. You don't see dogs dumped in the country, near a farm, thrown from cars, put outside to fend for themselves 'cause we all know there are tons of mice to go around :rolleyes:, and all the other atrocities that happen to cats/kittens. For one thing our laws wouldn't allow it.
Please, if anyone can prove to me it's otherwise I will welcome a chance to debate that.

aslan
October 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Anytime mf,,,i figured since the thread was about a personal experience of yours and your topic was about kitties, it should stay about kitties and your experience.

Goldfields
October 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
To answer this dogs have to come into it too seeing the question seems to be why are dogs treated as more worthy? You actually only need to look at how much dogs do for humanity to know the answer.

14+kitties
October 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
To answer this dogs have to come into it too seeing the question seems to be why are dogs treated as more worthy? You actually only need to look at how much dogs do for humanity to know the answer.

Oh don't even!!! :wall:

shirley1011
October 25th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Goldfields, that is not right...every animal are worthy of whatever love we can give them....no one is more worthy than any others.

Every animal no matter what kind is worthy of the best we can give them and although a dog lover here, I have owned cats and my heart has been owned by them as well.

To post something like this to someone like 14+ is nothing but a slap in the face...you need to realize what you are saying....and trust me this woman is nothing but a saint for what she does for cats who are WORTHY of her love and care.

14+kitties
October 25th, 2010, 07:44 PM
:grouphug: Thank you Shirley. I appreciate that. The rest simply does not deserve an answer. It is so completely asinine.

14+kitties
October 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
It is not the first time. Probably will not be the last.:shrug: However I have to be the bigger person in this instance and not reply. That is the exact purpose for that comment and it will not happen.

marko
October 25th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the restraint 14+ :goodvibes:

Goldfields - This is 14+'s rant thread and your comments are quite off topic here.

Feel free to start another thread with it if you like but leave this rant to the OP.
thx in advance,

Marko

Goldfields
October 25th, 2010, 10:47 PM
It was Etown Chick who said this....

I just don't.

I thought I was answering that question about why dogs are valued so highly. And I am generalising, I personally like cats and mine mean as much to me, to us, as our dogs do, but don't let me interrupt the rant.

aslan
October 26th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Goldfields i'm sure i am saying this for many members here,,," Let it go". As marko stated it's 14+'s thread. Personally i would prefer you put her on your ignore list so you don't keep doing this to each and everyone of her threads.

G we all know what you do for the kitties and the constant slap you get from people who treat cats as no better than garbage is disgusting.

Love4himies
October 26th, 2010, 08:09 AM

:yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::cry:. Just makes me sick. Nobody can claim to be an animal lover unless they care for ALL animals. I just don't understand why some people can pick and choose.

14+kitties
October 26th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Thank you ladies. :grouphug: I appreciate your continued support. L4 - you are right. An animal lover would love all animals. I treat my dogs the same as my cats. It is beyond my thinking how anyone can say one is better than the other. They both have their place in my heart. :cloud9:

cassiek
October 26th, 2010, 10:51 AM
14+ you are an absolute saint for what you do. :grouphug: I feel very honored to even know of a person like you who does what you do to help so many cats.

One does not have to do much research to appreciate what cats do for humanity.

It's the same situation here in Southern AB... many people value dogs higher than cats for whatever reason and consistently perform acts of cruelty on cats that don't happen nearly as often as with dogs. Many people think a cat can survive being put back in the wild after it has been domesticated :wall: Far less people have their cats fixed than their dogs. It's a terrible reality. We need to get beyond thinking of one animal as more "worthy" than the next and learn as a society to appreciate all animals and give them the respect they deserve. This doesn't just end with our "pets" eitheir but should also include wildlife, livestock, etc. :2cents:

Again, 14+ thank you for what you do.

14+kitties
October 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I said I was not going to answer that comment made by one poster. I would like to add just one thing. If that person would like to find out what I am about and why I fight so hard... read my blog. It won't take long out of your busy day. then please think twice before posting comments such as you do.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/blog.php?b=132

14+kitties
October 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
cassiek - Thank you. :grouphug:

aslan
October 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM
14+ you are an absolute saint for what you do. :grouphug: I feel very honored to even know of a person like you who does what you do to help so many cats.

Cassiek i think that pretty much says what the majority of us here feel about 14+...G don't ever worry about what others opinions are,,you know all you have done for every kitty that has crossed your path. Don't ever feel the need to defend your life to anyone, especially if they haven't walked even half a mile in your shoes.:grouphug:

BenMax
October 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Without sounding too mushy gushy 14+K, what you do for animals.. and people is far more than most of us here do in the name of animals. You are an Earth Angel in every sense of the word. There may be those that think otherwise, or those that will try very hard to remove the focus of your dedication but remain FAST. You have my support and admiration.:grouphug:. I still don't know how you do it Girl. Where you get your strength, commitment and energy is SUPER HUMAN.

Love ya!:grouphug:

14+kitties
October 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Awww man!!! :cry::cry:

Dog Dancer
October 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM
:grouphug: You will always be my ideal of an Earth Angel. Only you need to know why you do what you do my friend. Your heart is pure and the whole world benefits from that.

Magicwildwolf69
October 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM
14+ you are by far a special and rare type of human in this world. Everything you do for people and animals is amazing and so unselfish. I was telling my husband the other day that i want to be you when i grow up. Keep up the great work and know that you inspire many people to do the best they can each day.

:grouphug::grouphug: to you.

rainbow
October 26th, 2010, 02:15 PM
G don't ever worry about what others opinions are,,you know all you have done for every kitty that has crossed your path. Don't ever feel the need to defend your life to anyone, especially if they haven't walked even half a mile in your shoes.:grouphug:

Without sounding too mushy gushy 14+K, what you do for animals.. and people is far more than most of us here do in the name of animals. You are an Earth Angel in every sense of the word. There may be those that think otherwise, or those that will try very hard to remove the focus of your dedication but remain FAST. You have my support and admiration.:grouphug:. I still don't know how you do it Girl. Where you get your strength, commitment and energy is SUPER HUMAN.

Love ya!:grouphug:

:grouphug: You will always be my ideal of an Earth Angel. Only you need to know why you do what you do my friend. Your heart is pure and the whole world benefits from that.

14+ you are by far a special and rare type of human in this world. Everything you do for people and animals is amazing and so unselfish. I was telling my husband the other day that i want to be you when i grow up. Keep up the great work and know that you inspire many people to do the best they can each day.

:grouphug::grouphug: to you.

Yes, this is how most of us here feel about you. :thumbs up :grouphug:

You are truly one amazing person for everything you do not only for the kitties but everyone whose life you touch. :angel: :grouphug:

BenMax
October 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Oh and I just wanted to add one more thing....though I have been in rescue world for sometime, I always put emphasis on the dogs and did not make as much effort for the cats because they were much harder to find shelter or rescues for. Since reading what 14+K does and has committed in doing totally put me to shame really. I knew I could do more and so I did. She inspired me so much that based on all her threads, all her hard work, pictures, stories, artwork... I have managed to work a little harder and was able to save more than 75 cats in one year.

14+K - don't kid yourself woman...75+ cats are ALIVE because of you. You touched my life more than you will ever know. Hopefully, others will also be inspired to take that extra little step and together we can make a huge difference.

14+kitties
October 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Awww Man again!! :cry: You guys. I love you all!! :grouphug:
Why do I even allow negative comments to get to me? :wall:

Blackbear
October 26th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Thread closed at request of OP.