Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

litter box training

jimmithekook
September 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM
I recently rescued a very ill cat who is currently at the vet. In the few days we had her before the vet I found out she didn't know what a litter box was or how to use it. She prefers our Persian rugs. Any suggestion to teach an old cat a new trick?

Writing4Fun
September 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Jimmi, don't give up on the cat just yet. The fact that she was so ill was probably the reason she was "going" on your rugs. Once she's feeling all better, I'm sure she'll figure out how to use the litter box on her own. Good on you for rescuing an older cat! :D

Lucky Rescue
September 14th, 2004, 11:56 AM
What kind of illness does she have? Agree that this could cause her to avoid the litterbox and this happened on occasion to one of mine when ill.

If she is feeling better and still not using the box, come back and we will have advice for you.

And yes, thank you for taking this poor kitty in. :)

krdahmer
September 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Kudos on taking in that kitty and getting her medical attention! And the trick I find always works, is to take the cat to the litter box, place it in the box and gently rub it's paws in the litter. They usually take it from there because they want to bury their deposits and do not enjoy going somewhere they cannot do so. God bless and best of luck! :)

chico2
September 14th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Ditto to all of the above and thank you for saving this little kitty..