Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My pup ate a bone quickly down the throat

htsource
October 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
My dad was picking up the leftover from the dining table and he didn't know something felt off to the floor, our pup picked it up and ate it. Thought it was a small bone maybe 3/8" in diameter by the max 1/4" long, I really don't know the size as my dad found out later which she refused to let go and ate it down the throat quickly. Bad timing, she would have listened to me and let go but I wasn't there!

My pup is a Pomeranian so I don't know if she could handle a bone size like this? Right after that she threw up but it was the food from her dinner, not the bone itself. She seems a little bit down right now although I gave her treat and she would eat it no problem. Not sure if I should take her to the vet? Or is there anything else we can do?

Much appreciate your help.

Floppy Dog
October 20th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Check with your vet ASAP, especially if the bone was cooked and from a bird. It could splinter or become jammed in her GI tract or esophagus.

luckypenny
October 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM
The size you're describing seems smaller than a piece of kibble. Am I correct?

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about it but keep a close eye on her just the same and don't hesitate to take her to the vet if she seems unwell. Did you check her vomit carefully? If she swallowed the bone after dinner, chances are it came up at the same time. Let us know how she's doing.

htsource
October 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Thank you for the replies, she seems doing fine now. We haven't able to pick up the piece from her stool but her stool looks normal otherwise. No sign of blood or anything unusual.

It's correct, it's about a piece of kibble. I really wonder now if her vomit actaully had the bone piece as well. From what my parents describled, there were a few pieces of dog food in the vomit, wonder if one piece was the bone. I don't even know what size of bone she had, I know the worst case ones would be the size of a kibble.

I think she learned the lession though as after her vomit, she was a little bit scared.