Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog congestion in the morning

Majimart
October 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hello,

I have a 9 year old Maltese cross who recently has become very congested in the mornings. It looks like he has a lot of trouble breathing, and then he sometimes hacks and gags. I don't notice this in the day time at all.

I took him to the vet a day ago, and the vet can't hear anything wrong with hsi lungs. I'm wondering if this could be an allergy? He has not lost his appetite, he still wants to go for walks, and his energy level remains normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How about homeopathic medication or allergy pills? I had tremendous success with homeopathic medication when my other dog had warts, and I would be willing to try that again.

Thanks in advance!

Floppy Dog
October 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Where does your dog sleep? Could (s)he be trying to clear out accumulated dust inhaled through the night? How about where you live, are there allergens or irritants that accumulate over night? Have you started using a forced air furnace at night? Could there be dust in the ducting that is being circulated? This last one is a very long shot, but I'll float it anyways. How mashed in is your dog's face? With age, muscles and skin loose their elasticity and begin to sag. The soft tissue at the back of the nose and throat could be "dropping" into the airway and causing an obstruction. When your dog is relaxed and sleeping, the effect could be enough to start the cycle of coughing once (s)he wakes up. Coughing is a natural reaction to try to clear the obstruction.

Majimart
October 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Thank you for the advice. I'm concluding that it is probably allergies of some kind. I came back from the natural pet store with some Homeopathic drops for respiratory issues. We'll see if that works.