Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Illness can't pin it down

Urbantrickster
October 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I have a 5 years old mixed breed dog. He had surgery for a lodged item when he was 1 year old and since then has had an extremely sensitive stomach. I keep him on the most simple foods.
Recently he developed what the Vet diagnosed as a urinary tract infection. He was peeing every 15 min to half an hour. I got antibiotics which did not solve it, another round of antibiotics and then he started developing loose foul smelling bright yellow stools. I called the vet who said it was likely the same infection and prescribed a different antibiotic and an enzyme to go in his food. After 2 weeks the urinary tract infection is gone. His stools have gone back to being brown but they still loose and foul smelling and he is constantly eating it. He will start eating it before we can even pick it up and find any small bit to eat when he is outside. He has lost some weight maybe 3 or 5 pounds as well as I can tell from picking him up on a scale. He weighs about 72 pounds normally. He is also getting excessive "eye boogers". Obviously this is costing us a small fortune. I'm not sure if the weight loss this is caused by the 3 solid weeks of antibiotics or if it is a sign that the infection is still present or was misdiagnosed. I'm scheduling an appointment for the vet next week but also looking for advice and knowledge to bring up with my vet.

luckypenny
October 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM
What foods are you feeding him (his name?), Urbantrickster? When you first brought him in, did the vet test a urine sample?

Rgeurts
October 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM
If he is eating his stools, they are loose and he is losing weight, I would have the vet run some tests on his pancreas. A dog with EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) will often eat their stools for the protein they are lacking as they are unable to properly digest, hence the weight loss and diarrhea as well. Did the vet complete a full blood panel? If not, that's the first thing I would ask him to to do. Your dogs symptoms can be caused by a variety of issues. But again, a good place to start is a blood panel and specific pancreas tests to see if he is producing enough enzymes to digest. Also, have they tested a stool sample?

I have 2 dogs with tummy troubles. 1 has colitis and the other has a trypsin deficiency and has to have pancreatic enzymes on all meals prior to eating.

Good luck and keep us posted on how he's doing :)

Below is a link to EPI info. Maybe discuss with your vet as most (even great vets) never think to test for this.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/

Urbantrickster
October 20th, 2010, 01:09 AM
EPI sounds like EXACTLY what he has. Even down to the rumbling belly. Thanks for giving me a reference point to talk with my vet. Will post after I talk to them.
:lightbulb:

His name is Chico and I feed him Wellness Simple Solutions.