Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leash on while inside-dangerous?

moontamara
September 14th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Do any other puppy owners do this? I noticed it mentioned in another thread, and am curious about your thoughts on it. I have Casey (about 5 month toy poodle) on his leash pretty much all day long, although not when he's alone. Still, my brother thinks it isn't that safe. But it is soooo handy for correcting him, and for taking him out when he's suddenly urgent :o . Please let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance!!

Sneaky2006
September 14th, 2004, 09:40 AM
If you're training, I don't see a problem with it. And if you're always there when it's on and it's not god awful tight it should be ok.
Now, I don't think it's ok to do this for years and years... but it doesn't seem like that is the case! :)

TalonsMa
September 14th, 2004, 12:56 PM
We've been doing it with Solara, as she will run the poor cats ragged, and get into everything in sight :) But we only do it if we are able to keep an eye on her 100%, if we can't, we put her in her pen, or crate :D

Luba
September 14th, 2004, 02:10 PM
This is only a safe tool when being monitored. There are short handle leashes only about a foot and half long that are safer, if you're using it as training to get him down off objects etc.

I am concerned about him running loose in the house with a lead on as it can get caught on chair legs or other things, pull things down ON TOP of the puppy and get tangled or caught on something causing a jerk reaction and this can lead to neck injury or strangulation.

Not a good idea.

CarlaD
September 14th, 2004, 03:01 PM
We never have the leash on Charlie in the house. It would be mass distruction if so, because if Willy sees a leash he knows that it is something fun!

moontamara
September 15th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Dinah, I know you're new here and I want to welcome you to the board! Rest assured that if Casey showed any signs of annoyance or discomfort with the leash following him around, I wouldn't be using it. There is absolutely no difference in temperment or behaviour between when it is on and when it is off. Safety was my concern.

I guess the main reason I have it on him so much is that when I started to train him to go outside (he started off with newspaper/pee pad due to his small size, our living conditions and very rainy weather) I had to take him out A LOT. And when he found out how to get me to take him out, he went through a few weeks of abusing that, and it was even MORE often!!! It's starting to calm down now, so I guess I can take him off it, except in the morning when he usually has me taking him out more often than usual. Understand that we live in an apartment, and he must be leashed every time we go out. There is a fair amount of foot traffic, and Casey would rush up and greet every one of them if he could, and there are a number of Koreans who are frightened of dogs... Plus it's helpful for training him to stay off furniture, but he's pretty good about that.

By the way, I keep all the doors to rooms in our apartment closed except the one I'm in and can ALWAYS see my little cutie, which is why I didn't feel it was particularly dangerous. Anyway, thanks for all the advice and responses!

GsdDiamond
September 15th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I've heard nothing bad about keeping your dog tethered to you. As a matter of fact, I hear it teaches the dog to be more easily trained as it learns to watch you and follow your instructions. You say "come" and start to walk, the dog HAS TO follow you. Praise, praise, praise when he does what you ask (like he had a choice! ;) )

I've done it with Diamond a bit, but find her a bit too heavy to tie her leash to my belt. (that's how some people do it)

Another way, if you don't want to keep him tied to you all day, is when he's not tethered, show him you have a treat, and periodically give him a miniscule (sp?) amount to keep his interest. Diamond will sit there for hours, sometimes a bit vocally, if she knows I have a treat.

Cactus Flower
September 15th, 2004, 01:52 PM
If it is working for you, I see no harm in it. You are not the type to ignore your pet, or leave Casey in a dangerous situation.

How would you like to be on a leash all day?
I have recommended tethering a new dog to their new owner many times on here, for training purposes. I've also done it myself. So I guess I can say I personally HAVE been on a leash all day- tethered to my own dog- and I didn't mind it a bit.

GsdDiamond
September 15th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Hear! Hear!

Writing4Fun
September 15th, 2004, 02:01 PM
So I guess I can say I personally HAVE been on a leash all day- tethered to my own dog- and I didn't mind it a bit.
LOL, CF! :D Never thought of it from that perspective before! Like everything else being debated in this forum (prong collars, brands of food, etc...) it comes down to 2 things: a) the owner's preference, and b) using it wisely. ;) Mrs. Moon doesn't seem to be the type of person who would leave her pup on a 6ft lead with a choke collar on and let him hang himself on a chair leg. :) Personally, I wouldn't do it, only because Phoebe is more often than not right underfoot and I'd get heartily annoyed with constantly tripping over the danged leash!

moontamara
September 15th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the support Writing4Fun and Cactus Flower! I believe (and certainly hope) that you're right!! Anyway, this thread is encouraging me to phase out the leash in the house -- he just doesn't need it as much as before and if there is even a chance of danger, it isn't worth it. ;)