Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog have hypersalivation

tweety
October 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Hi everyone,
i want to ask you a question if you can help me please!!
Since yesterday my dog is not going so well, so this afternoon I went to the vet and ask her to do a drain of his anal glands. We came back to home and everythings doing well. He eat a "chew" something the vet give me to clean is teeth made by the company virbac. He eat all and after going to drink. We've played a little bit and after that he fall asleep. Since 1 hour left I took him outdoor to do his things. It takes 5 min and he came back from me with a big hypersalivation. He refuse to eat his food and not going so well anymore. I've open his mouth to see if something was caught between the teeth and I didn't see anything. So I want to know why is hypersalivation like that and if you ever see something like that? He have 5 years old. Help me please!!!!!

thanx :pray:

Rgeurts
October 16th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hi Tweety,

When dogs salivate/drool it usually means they have an upset tummy. Our puppy does that on occasion (he has a lot of tummy troubles). His is so bad at times that he actually foams at the mouth. Is it possible yours got into something? Do you have mouse poison or any chemicals he may have gotten in to? If he continues to salivate and is lethargic or gets diarrhea, you should take him to the vet as soon as possible. Check the area you live in and find the location for an emergency clinic (if there is one) and maybe give them a call.

tweety
October 16th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hi rgeurts
As far as I know he doesn't have tummy troubles.
We don't have any poison around the house and he goes outside not as long to eat something he is always supervised. We live near to a forest. I will check if he don't have diarrhea. Yes we have emergency vets, if he continue not doing so well I will probably go to see the vet with him!!!
Thanks a lot for the help!!!! It's very appreciate :-)

Rgeurts
October 16th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hi rgeurts
As far as I know he doesn't have tummy troubles.
We don't have any poison around the house and he goes outside not as long to eat something he is always supervised. We live near to a forest. I will check if he don't have diarrhea. Yes we have emergency vets, if he continue not doing so well I will probably go to see the vet with him!!!
Thanks a lot for the help!!!! It's very appreciate :-)

You're very welcome. If he gets lethargic, or again, has diarrhea or vomits, I would take him right away. Hope your night goes ok. Good luck, and lotsa :goodvibes: and :pray:'s for you and your baby. :)

rainbow
October 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM
When you took him outside were you with him at all times or did he wander a bit by himself? Do you have a fenced yard? What plants do you have that he may have gotten into? If your yard is not fenced do you know what wild plants are in your area? Any mushrooms growing?

Watch him closely and if the salivitation lasts longer than a couple of hours or if he starts vomitting or gets lethargic then please take him to the emergency vet right away.

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

tweety
October 16th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hi rainbow,
We have a lots of plants near here.... no I'm not with him all the time but watch him and I have an eye on him all the time. We don't have any mushrooms near.
I've brush his tooths and rinse his mouth after.... I will watch it all night long I think...
He have hypersalivation since 7-8h tonight....
We have a plant name : Arctium lappa outside that grip in the coats of the dogs, and i remember that yesterday he tried to remove it... maybe it's because his eaten some of them???
God hope everything will be good soon....
And thanks you for all advice!!!!

Thanks to Rgeurts too :-)

rainbow
October 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I wasn't familiar with the name Arctium lappa so I looked it up and it is safe for dogs .....

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/burdock.html

Has the salivitation slowed down at all? How does he seem otherwise?

tweety
October 17th, 2010, 01:33 AM
He's stable for now, he continue to hypersalivate and refuse to eat....
I will go to the emergency vet tomorrow! I think it's something on his mouth.....

rainbow
October 17th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I know you said that you checked his mouth but sometimes it's really hard to see anything that may be stuck ....that or a bad tooth would also cause the excess salivatating. Is there someone there that can help you look in his mouth in case it is something that is stuck? Did you check the roof of his mouth?

tweety
October 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone,
My dog pass a good night and want to eat this morning but don't want to chew his food... So I really think that something goes bad with his tooth.
We check it this morning and his last tooth are really bad.... he have a lot's of tartar. I call the vet just for sure and I have to go to the clinic tomorrow to check whats going on.
Thank you everyone to help me and I will give you some news after we've going back from the vet!!! :fingerscr

rainbow
October 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Glad to hear that your boy had a good night. :thumbs up

You said he wanted to eat but wouldn't chew .....did he eat anything at all? And is he drinking water? If so, then he will be okay until you get him to your vet tomorrow. Good luck and let us know the outcome. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

tweety
October 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Yes he drink a lot since 1h, he eat the half of his normal cup but didn't chew...
I think I will be mix his food with a little bit of water to be sure it will be easy for him to chew a little bit!!
Thanks for all and I will come back tomorrow to give some news of his visit!!!

rainbow
October 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM
If he doesn't eat the kibble after it's been soaked in water don't let it sit for more than 1/2 hour or so ....throw it out as bacteria can develop. You could give him some cooked rice with boiled chicken or hamburger until he sees the vet.

Rgeurts
October 17th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I'm glad to see he had a good night! As long as he is eating (even if it has to be soft food), drinking and is basically himself except for the salivation, he should be ok until tomorrow. From what you describe, it does sound like it may be a dental problem. :goodvibes::goodvibes: for the visit tomorrow! :grouphug:

tweety
October 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone,
A little bit of news!!!
We just came back from the vet and my dog have an infection on his tongue!!! The vet think that it's something he lick...
He will take antibiotics for 1 week and antiinflammatory :-)
Soon he will be ok but he will need a descaling.
For now he's happy and going well soon :-)
Thanks again everyone, this forum is really great :-):thumbs up

rainbow
October 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the good news update. :thumbs up

So it's his bad teeth and tartar build-up that are causing the infection. He'll be a happy boy once the vet does the dental surgery. :goodvibes: