Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My darling Vietnamese chihuahua is having fits and my vet is stumped!

Aviva
October 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hello!

I'm new here. My name is Aviva, and I live in Toronto. I'm having a terrible, heart-breaking problem with my dog and I was hoping someone here might have some advice.

About five years ago I was living in Hanoi, Vietnam, and my partner and I adopted a tiny mixed breed chihuahua puppy.

In Vietnam they call these dogs "cho Phoc", but I believe that title applies to almost all small dogs. My wonderful, vivacious, 6-year-old female dog is named Phuong, and she appears to be a chihuahua/miniature pinscher mix. She's gorgeous, and looks like a tiny deer!

She has had almost no health problems the majority of her life (4 years in Vietnam and 2 and a bit here in Canada), and is microchipped and fixed. Then, in mid-September late at night, she had a fit in my arms. She became weak, lethargic, starting spasming and couldn't control her back legs. Her heart was thumping and she shook terribly.

It was an awful, awful thing to experience for both of us, and we rushed her to the vet. She was given an IV and recovered quickly, and tests were run. The vet found nothing! Slight anemia, but that's it.

She was back to 100% the next day, and had been totally fine until this past Saturday night. Again she had the fit, which possibly lasted longer this time. Again we took her to the vet and tests were run. Nothing suspicious! We asked about hypoglycemia and the vet didn't seem to think that was it.

I've resorted to calling a friend who is still in Hanoi and asking him to contact a vet there and inquire about this particular breed's medical issues. The problem is, small animal vets are still pretty rare there and the concept of "pets" is still relatively new.

Has anyone had a dog go through something similar?
Any advice?
:confused::confused:

Thanks in advance.........

Marty11
October 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Doesn't that describe a seizure?

.unknown.
October 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I'd go see another vet. It sounds like he might have a seizure disorder(?)

14+kitties
October 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm assuming when you say "fit" you mean she is having seizures. So far only two a month or so apart? What testing has she had done? Has she been diagnosed with epilepsy? Did she get into any caustic chemicals; Dish washing liquid, other soaps, essential oils from those horrendous plug ins or any other essential oils, anti freeze, etc........ ?

kathryn
October 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
It's not uncommon for dogs over the age of 5/6 years old to have seizures on occasion. Sometimes the only treatment is just supportive care. Before the fit did she get into anything or did you apply any topical flea treatments or use any kinds of sprays or shampoos on her? Or apply anything to your furniture or carpets?