Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Bolting out the door

kittygirl
October 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Our dog is 2 yrs old - we got him from a rescue in May of this year.
He has - in the last 24hrs, bolted out the door twice. I do not know what has gotten in to him - it is so out of his character.
We have been to basic obedience training with him - and he did well with most things - including recall and sit/stay. We practice recall with him at the dog park and our back yard and he always responds. Both times when he bolted - I recalled him and he didn't even look back at me. When I finally caught up with him he had already crossed a major road and was heading into a park.

I am obviously terrified and need to correct this behavior immediately. We will be going a back to obedience at the next session.

What could possibly be going through his little head? Is he running away or is he testing us?

cell
October 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM
is he neutered? are there females in heat around?

kittygirl
October 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Yes - he is. Not sure about females around.

He has always been a dog that is right by our side from the day got him - no ambition to get very far from 'mom and dad' so to speak.
The first time he bolted - we were letting company in for dinner, this morning it was the morning paper.

Both times there were people between him and the door - which I always practice, but he found a gap and squeezed through. It was a very purposeful attempt.

Both times we caught him - he was still running. We got ahead of him and he ran into us. I am afraid if he didn't get ahead of him - he wouldn't stop.

He is part beagle, part dachshund and perhaps a few more small breeds. Maybe JRT. \He does have a stubborn streak. He is walked 4-5 times a day, one of which is a 45 min - 1 hr exercise.
I am just having such a hard time understanding why he would want to run?

JennieV
October 11th, 2010, 05:11 PM
As far as I know, and I may be wrong, any hunting dog will try to escape and `follow the nose` so to speak. I would recommend to practice safe door opening: avoid having him near, or hold him by the collar when you open the door.

Good luck!! :grouphug::goodvibes:

Marty11
October 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Yup hunting instinct. My trainer said to me one day "two yrs old" is when dogs will develop behaviour issues, good or bad. More training.....:dog:

luckypenny
October 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Is he running away or is he testing us?

Neither :). He's just doing what comes naturally to him.

We have been to basic obedience training with him - and he did well with most things - including recall and sit/stay.

The trick is transferring what he's learned at the training facility to different parts of your home and a variety of other environments. "Stay" should be practiced at every doorway of your home especially the ones that lead outside the house.

In the meantime, management is key in keeping your dog safe. When people enter/exit, have your dog leashed or safely contained in his crate.

A video on teaching an effective "stay."

http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

This is how we successfully taught all our dogs a perfect recall. We started in low distraction areas in our house and the yard and gradually moved on to environments with higher distraction levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyuVnpuidOw