Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there any dry soft dog food?

DoeZ
October 10th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Ok I need some help and advice please. BUT...Please do not judge me as you do not know what we've been thru this past year. My Lily...who is a 6 yr old lab/shepard mix has stopped eating in a way. Nothing has changed in our house as in there are no new pets etc...I've checked her gums and they're pink as they should be. I do not give her any dog bones or rawhide as she has gotten sick from them in the past. I can't take her to the Vet because we're trying to get back on our feet and money is tight. We researched everything about dog food and thought maybe it was her food she just didn't like it. So my daughter went out and bought her the best food ever...and it was very expensive. She also bought her some canned food. We've been giving her cottage cheese as the Vet said but she even turned her nose to that. So now I'm making white rice and mixing it with 1/2 can of her canned food and some of her hard food. She also has been chewing herself and we noticed she has "hotspots". So now we're also putting some meds on her spots and getting that cleared up. She has lost so much weight she is looking awful. Her ribs are showing so bad and when she is laying down she is all sunken in like. Well since I started making the rice and mixing it with some of her food she is starting to eat...there are times when I have to sit and feed her from a fork or spoon so she eats. I don't have the extra money to take her to the Vet for tests so I'm sorta just looking and hoping someone can help me. Could it be the food? Like maybe she just doesn't like hard food anymore? Do they make a softer hard food...is ya know what I mean...Maybe her jaw or teeth are just aching. She does have some arthritis and there are times she has trouble getting up. Since I started making the rice etc. she looks like she's been putting some of the weight back on but I'm at a loss of what to do for her. Can anyone please help without judging me and thinking I'm a bad person. I love my Lily so much and just want to get her back to her norm...Thank you for any help or advice:pray:

luckypenny
October 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Did she eat the high quality food your daughter brought you?

DoeZ, when dogs are really hungry, they'll eat pretty much anything. I don't believe they'll get as skinny as you're describing your girl simply because she doesn't like her food. I have a strong suspicion something else is going on, eg. allergies, thyroid condition, etc., but only a vet will be able to tell you for certain. Have you contacted any rescues in your area to see if they can help with a low cost vet referral? There are also organizations that may be able to help with veterinary fees. Here's a link that provides valuable information for people in your situation. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

Please keep us updated on Lily. :fingerscr you can find the help she needs.

DoeZ
October 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM
She ate some of it for a bit...then she stopped. The brand my daughter bought is called "Blue"...again with all the research we did this is a good brand...I believe...When she stopped eating it this is where she was getting very skinny...you can see here ribs...literally count them...the bone on her head...she was looking all sunken in when she lays down...Like I said I'm doing everything I can to get food in her...even sitting there and feeding her with a spoon or fork. She seems to like the mixture of my rice and her canned food and some dry food. So she is gaining some...but still looks skinny.

I don't have anything like that where I live here in the states...There aren't any shelters that help either...they all want money and I just don't have the extra to fork out.

The vet had mentioned something about her liver or kidney the last time she got sick but again I couldnt afford all the tests to be done. Right now I just want to make sure that she eats and puts some of the weight back on. So again...is there any kind of soft dry dog food out there that is good for them?

Thanks again for any help or advice :pray:

luckypenny
October 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I don't have anything like that where I live here in the states...

Those are all organizations located in the States :shrug:. Maybe if you looked them up and send off an email to them you may find one willing to help your Lily :fingerscr.

So again...is there any kind of soft dry dog food out there that is good for them?

None at all that I've come across.

luckypenny
October 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm sorry, I know this isn't the info you're looking for but, just in case, I found this list of organizations in the State of New York that may be able to provide assistance.

New York

Pets for Life New York City (formerly the Safety Net Program): Provides free and low cost services to those in need as an alternative to giving up their pets or stray animals they have found to the city shelter. Free and reduced-cost behavior training, reduced-cost veterinary care (including spay/neuter), reduced-cost boarding of pets, and more.
Hotline: 917-468-2938
www.nycacc.org/safetynet.htm

ALL 4 PETS: Limited to Western New York (veterinary care assistance)
www.all4petswny.org

NY SAVE Inc. (veterinary care assistance)
nysave.org/index_2.html

Buffalo Can Pet food Pantry: Buffalo
37 Chandler St, 716-983-0583

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Greater Rochester: Fairport (pet food for senior citizens, spay/neuter assistance, assistance for necessary veterinary medical care, veterinary care assistance programs for senior, disabled or ill pet owners)
http://www.lollypop.org

The Animal Lovers League: Glen Cove (temporary foster program)
http://www.animalloversleague.us/

MVA Hope Foundation, Rochester (veterinary care assistance)
http://mvahopefoundation.org

Operation Pets: The Spay/neuter Clinic of Western New York (low-cost spay/neuter)
http://www.operationpets.org/

All About Labs (temporary housing/foster for dogs and cats, not just labs; pet food; spay/neuter, vaccinations, heartworm prevention and flea/tick treatments).
www.allaboutlabs.org
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html#Below

DoeZ
October 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks hun...I already looked at all those and they're all a non-profit org. and they don't do much other than rescues or spaying etc. I did write to the one and hopefully I'll hear something but I highly doubt it. I was thinking that maybe there is something that is eating her up on the inside...She doesn't have fleas and gets bathed regularly and even gets her flea meds...but she has a tendancy to chew her feet and like I said she has been almost chewing herself raw...we thought these were hotspots and have been treating them as such with the meds...she's pulled chunks of hair out and has bald spots on her...this is what makes me think that she has a tick or something on the inside and its doing something to her. She has had problems with her ears and I really clean them...I get alot of yuckies out of them at times...she shakes her head alot and when I see this thats when I go and clean her ears...again another reason why I think that maybe she has a tick or something eating at her inside...Is that at all possible?

luckypenny
October 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
No, I don't think that's possible. All the symptoms indicate something serious is going on with your girl and that she's suffering :(. Unfortunately, soft kibble or meds for hot spots are not going to cure her condition, only a definitive diagnosis and treatment from a vet can. I've read back on your other threads and it would seem that this is a condition that Lily has suffered for at least a year now. This is serious. Please find some way to get her seen by a vet asap and, if that proves impossible for you, it is your legal responsibility to find a rescue that will take her and have her treated appropriately.

Blackbear
October 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.