Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help need advice for my dog shes been in a car accident and has nerve damage

Chris Aussie
October 10th, 2010, 06:04 AM
hi people,
yesterday my dog (sox) was hit by a car and has some nerve damage to her fron left paw she cant feel anything as the vet is telling me, she has some bruised lungs but the vet says that should come good, she doesnt seem to have any broken bones from xrays that have been taken but she cant manage to stand up atm she tries but just cant she has feeling in her back legs and can move the right one with ease and the left one has feeling and she can move it slowly, she has eaten a small amount last night the vet has told me as shes in a emergency 24 clinic, i have been told that amputation is more than likely for the front leg but that they will wait and see after 6 weeks as this will give an indication if the nerve will heal or not, the vet is confident that her back legs will get better with time as she has feeling as a bit of movement is there anything that can be done to help her recover or a way to help nerve damage any assistance would be appreciated.

14+kitties
October 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hmmm, don't know why no one has answered you yet. I will PM Dr Lee for you. He is a vet who volunteers for Pets and truly the only one qualified to help. Thank you for your concern with your dog. Good luck.

Dr Lee
October 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I am sorry to hear about Sox. This must be so very difficult for you.

Ideally Sox should be evaluated by a neurologist and have an MRI and possibly a CT scan. This can help evaluate the extent and characteristics of the spinal damage. This can help look for vertebral instabilitythat cannot ber seen on an X-ray and evaluate for the potential need for surgical stabilization.

If this is not an option them I would recommend that proper supportive care be used to help give Sox the maximum ability to recover nerve function. This should include rest with assistance to help turn and move as needed. It is important to place minimal stress and weight on the spine. Nutritional support should include a diet formulated for recovery; your very likely has one. A proper recovery diet should have additional protein and calories to address the hyper-metabolic state; omega 3 fatty acids like DHA which are used in nerves; L-Carnitine to help promote muscle and nerve mitochondrial health and anti oxidants. If hydration is an issue then intravenous fluids should be maintained. Due to lung bruising, an antibiotic is likely being used by your vet to help prevent secondary pneumonia. Steroids may also be utilized to help reduce nerve inflammation. Pain medications should be used to help keep Sox comfortable. Something like famotidine (pepcid) should also be used to help protect the stomach while the pet is resting. Trauma cases with discomfort, bruising, stress and laying down all can lead to increased stomach acidity so famotidine is needed to help prevent secondary complications.

Additionally monitoring (additional X-rays if needed and time are also important.

I wish you and Sox the very best. I hope this helps.

Chris Aussie
October 10th, 2010, 11:08 PM
thanks dr lee, i have moved sox back to my local vet as the emergency clinic said that it would be less expensive as i have spent over 2thousand dollars in just under 3 days, she was able to stand today but not for long as she falls down they have her on pain medicine and a drip she has developed some fluid on her lungs and they want to drain it this afternoon is there anything i should insist they do as i dont seem to get straight answers from the vets all i no atm is that they have a drip for her and are giving her pain releif she has amanged to eat a lil bit of chicken was i have been told is a good sign

Chris Aussie
October 10th, 2010, 11:15 PM
also thanks kitties for your help

mikischo
October 10th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hi, Chris. I can PM Dr. Lee for you again and let him know you have more questions.

Sending :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: the Sox starts improving soon.

Please continue to keep us updated.

Chris Aussie
October 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM
thanks heaps for all your help

Dr Lee
October 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
... she was able to stand today but not for long as she falls down they have her on pain medicine and a drip she has developed some fluid on her lungs and they want to drain it this afternoon is there anything i should insist they do?

If they are draining fluid from the chest then it is likely around the lungs and heart and free floating in the chest cavity. This is called pleural effusion and can be from a variety of fluids, in this case, likely blood. This can occur post trauma. Hours to a couple of days after trauma, the inflammatory mediators (hormones) are released and then swelling can occur. If this inflammation includes the pleura (lining of the chest cavity) then pleural effusion can ensue. Typically keeping this drained a couple to few days will allow the inflammation process to calm down and often no further treatment is necessary for general trauma cases.

It sounds like supportive care and time are what your vet is recommending. There are always ways of "cutting some costs" on supportive care but it will have to depend upon what you feel comfortable with, what your vet feels comfortable with and how much supportive care is needed by your pet. With pleural effusion, I think that continued hospitalized care will be needed until that at least has become manageable.

I hope that that helps.

SIDE NOTE: I know that there have been a couple of posts that I have missed which I plan to go back and try to answer. PLEASE PM ME and be as persistant as you want! :D I am currently traveling for work on a strange schedule for various conferences. This should die down a bit by the end of next month so I should be more quickly responsive like usual. :)