Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi Guys from Australia

Chris Aussie
October 10th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Hi people my name is chris i live in melbourne australia and i am new to this site, yesterday my dog (sox) was hit by a car and im trying to find some information on nerve damage etc i would appreciate any assistance hope to hear from someone soon thanks

mastifflover
October 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Welcome to our board. I am sorry to hear about your dog. What type of nerve damage was Sox diagnosed with?

Chris Aussie
October 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
thanks, im not too sure as he vet is only really telling me nerve damage as she cant feel her front leg at all :(

mastifflover
October 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I have heard some great things about acupuncture and massage having a great effect on dogs with nerve damage. Also hydrotherapy is something to look into as well

Goldfields
October 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Chris Aussie. I'm from Australia too. You didn't say, is it only one foreleg that is effected, or both? You would have to be guided by your vet first and foremost but if it gets to a stage where any of mastifflover's ideas could be beneficial, if you don't know where to take Sox just let me know and I'll see if my sister can help you. She lives at Somerville and could find out via the Clubs she is a member of where the best help is for your poor dog.
Good luck.

Cheers
Betty

Chris Aussie
October 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM
thanks goldfeild, its her front lef leg and the vet seems to say that the erve has been broken and they are not confident it will fix all they have aid so fa is that they will leave it for 6 weeks and if no improvement thn they advise amputation, i have just taken her back to my local vet as the emergency clinic was mega expensive she has managed to stand but not for long as she falls down she has also developed some fluid on her lungs in the last few hrs and they will drain it this afternoon and keep her on pain relief

marko
October 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry you found our forum under these circumstances, but welcome.
Good luck with your dog :goodvibes:

Marko

Sylvie
October 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Good luck with your dog. Please keep us posted.

Chris Aussie
October 12th, 2010, 04:19 AM
thanks guys, i have taken sox home tonite for the first time she seems to be getting beta its just her front left leg that the vets say wont heal because of the nerve damage but we will wait and see

mastifflover
October 12th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Chris I would really suggest a second opinion and then the hydrotherapy and accupuncture. Do a search of Hydrotherapy for dogs or Goldfields sister may be able to help you. Good luck and keep us posted

Goldfields
October 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM
The second opinion is a good idea. We once had a thoroughbred mare cannon into her young foal as she was getting up and the foal was in a dreadful state. It could pivot on its hind legs but not move forward and it was in such pain it was salivating a lot, almost frothing at the mouth. The vet we called out to her had a good inspection and said it had a broken hip, get someone to shoot it , and instead we called in a 'muscle man' for lack of a better term. Two treatments and she was quite okay again. Good thing we opted for alternative treatment. I hope there's a magical cure for Sox too.

Chris Aussie
October 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Well shes been home for a few days now sleeps mostly but does look a bit better she can hop around when she wants but i have to work her up to it she eats only if i hand feed her and refuses with a passion to eat dog food so im cooking for her aswell, i took her in to for check at the vet today and all seems ok they did mention about the leg but im not going to give up on it healing without a try i will definatley look into the hydrothearapy do you know if it is expensive? also thanks for the advice its been helpful

Chris Aussie
October 23rd, 2010, 08:17 AM
hey everyone as some of you would know my dog sox was run over by a car a couple weeks ago and suffered nerve damage to her front left leg the vets said that there is minimal chance of it recovering i noticed today that she started to pick and chew at her leg and made a cut into it does anyone no if thats normal and is it a bad sign i bandaged it up so she cant make it get worse

BenMax
October 23rd, 2010, 08:21 AM
It is not a good thing as she is indictating to you that there is pain or something that is bothering her. I do not suggest doing any home remedies at this point. I would make a vet appointment to have this looked at by a professional. There could be various things going on and I don't think anyone over the net can help you with exact speculation as to what is happening.

Best of luck to the pupper.