Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Probiotics?

mickeysmomma
October 7th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I started Mickey on probiotics this morning for his loose stool.So far his stool is still loose but there was definately less in the litter box each time.:fingerscr
I was just wondering how long I should expect to wait before I see his stool back to normal?
Also how long can I continue giving this to him?

mikischo
October 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Probiotics do not act directly to solidify loose stool. However they help to balance the intestinal flora and are often beneficial in cases of diarrhea as well as other digestive issues and after antibiotic use. They may not help all cases of diarrhea as there are various causes. Hopefully they will help Mickey with the issues he is having.

The following is a link to a website that might help give you a better idea as to how probiotics can be beneficial for different digestive issues:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=probioticsadietarypowerhouseforyourcat

They are very safe to use and I would continue to give them for two or three weeks even though the problem is resolved.

mickeysmomma
October 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks a bunch:thumbs up I'll go check out that link.His vet figures he has an overgrowth of bad bacteria but after his bad reaction to the antibiotics I wanted to try this route before trying another antibiotic.

Can probiotics be used indefinately?

mickeysmomma
October 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM
WOO HOO!!!!! Mickey FINALLY had a regular poo this morning!!!!!!! I'm so excited and have no one to share this with since hubbys still asleep (nightshift:yuck:) So now one has to wonder is it the probiotics,the wetfood,the premium dry food or the fact that no one (hubby) has given him milk in a week.

Thank you all so much for all your help.Can you continue to add probiotics to cats food indefinately or should you only do it when they're ill?

Love4himies
October 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Wahoo :thumbs up. Could be a combination of premium canned and no milk.

mickeysmomma
October 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Thats exactly what I'm thinking.The good thing is they both love the canned food and think it's a big treat:thumbs up.

Any idea how long you can continue to add probiotics to their food though?

Love4himies
October 9th, 2010, 08:59 AM
As long as your kitty doesn't have any negative reaction to the probiotics, then you can add them for life. No harm done. However, if the probiotics are not helping (nor making him worse), to me, you are wasting your money.

Probiotics are not controlled by FDA and therefore companies who manufacture them are not regulated. As far as I know there has been only one that has gone through medical testing, VSL3. There is also some controversy on whether the good bacteria even reaches the targeted area. Soooooooo, that is why I state, if they are doing some good, then continue, if not, then a waste of money.

mickeysmomma
October 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Sounds good to me:thumbs up I think I'm going to get a week or so under our belts to be sure that everything is ok.From there I will slowly wean them out to see what happens.I think poor Mickey needs a break from the litter box right now.
He looks so happy he's laying in the sunshine and chewing on his toes right now:lovestruck:

Love4himies
October 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I am so glad he is a happy kitty. The milk may have been causing him tummy cramps :(

Awwwww sunshine beams, all kitties love them :lovestruck::cloud9:

mickeysmomma
October 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Yes there is a strict NO MILK rule in this house now.I even wrote it on a piece of paper and stuck it to the fridge!!!!!! I left him so appropriate treats last night to give out when he got home.

Both our kitties love the sunshine ...it's a great place to take a bath or a nap.I will post some pics of our GiGi too.She's my hubbys baby but I'm stepmom :laughing:69680

Hope I did that right:loser:

Love4himies
October 9th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Awwww, beautiful GiGi :cloud9:

Hopefully hubby will listen :pray:

mickeysmomma
October 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Yes,me too!!! After everything we've been thru...he better listen!!!!

Thanks again for all your help:highfive:

Love4himies
October 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
If he doesn't you could sic us on him :laughing::laughing:

mickeysmomma
October 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Don't laugh I may have to :laughing: He can be awfully stubborn sometimes but hopefully this was a good lesson for him.On top of the vet bills and the stress I ofcourse haven't been my usual self because I was so worried.He's been fending for himself alot lately.I think I was able to get it thru his thick head though:frustrated:.Boy oh boy can men be hard headed sometimes!!!

mikischo
October 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I'm so glad to hear Mickey is feeling better.

Is the above pic of Mickey or GiGi? In either case, what a gorgeous kitty!!!:lovestruck:

mickeysmomma
October 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
That is my hubbys little Gigi.This my my big boy Mickey.69681

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
They're both beautiful kitties, mickeysmomma! Thanks for sharing the pics! :D

mickeysmomma
October 13th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks Hazel :) They are so much fun and are our little fur family:cloud9:
Getting them adjusted to each other was not fun at first.Gigi was used to being the Queen of her house and Mickey the King of his so there were some personality clashes.Now Gigi is in love with Mickey and he ignores her existence :rolleyes: It was really obvious when Mickey was sick because Gi was soooo sad and missed her brother/boyfriend.

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2010, 11:03 PM
It's amazing how much empathy they can have for each other... :cloud9: But Mickey should watch out because I've heard stories about the horrors that happen when a woman is scorned! :eek: :laughing:

mickeysmomma
October 14th, 2010, 07:01 AM
So very true:laughing: I'll try and get a photo of the sort of love affair.It's hilarious she flips over shows him her belly and bats her eyes at him and he could not care less:D Like I said we always say go see your brother/boyfriend we've now decided their relationship status is "It's complicated":rolleyes:

mikischo
October 15th, 2010, 06:32 AM
What a handsome boy that Mickey is!:cloud9:

mickeysmomma
October 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks :) I'm soooo glad he's feeling better.Now it's almost time to cut out the probiotics...:fingerscr I hope he stays ok.