Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poo questions

Masha
October 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM
This is a poo question :)

My friend adopted a cat two months ago (female, spayed, about 1 year old). The kitty was doing great, eating, playing, sleeping with her, going to the washroom as usual (poo every two days like clockwork). She eats mostly wet (fancy feast - the florentine ones i believe, with some dry as well). For the first month no problems. Then, a month ago she wouldnt poo. after 4 days of no poo the cat was taken to the vet who checked the kitty and said that what is in her is nothing that she shouldnt be able to pass, they expressed her anal glands, did full check of stool, etc. All looks good. Since then the cat would poo only once every 3-4 days and anywhere except her litter box.

We though maybe she doesnt like one litter box for both pee and poo, so my friend got her a second litter box. The kitty now pees in both boxes, but still poos under the bed or in other places.

Any ideas what to do? 4 days ago the kitty also peed on her pillow, but that was a one time thing and no more peeing incidents (only in the litter box) since then.

Do you think its behavioural of physical? My thoughts are that she is probably uncomfortable passing poo (pain, etc.) and that this is why she waits until 3-4 days, to a point where she cant hold it in anymore, and just goes anywhere.

Someone suggested that its behavioural, that the cat is doing it to show that she is displeased with something... could this be it?

Please let me knwo what you think.... is it time to take the kitty back to the vet for some more extensive testing?

Thank you!!!!

Winston
October 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Masha what kind of litterbox is she using. I have a friend thats cat would urinate outside the box and it wasnt all the time just once in awhile. He was told by SCM to get a shorter very long rubbermaid container like the containers you can store under your bed. To date there have been no more accidents. We can only assume that she had occasional pain and associated that with the box.

Is the poo normal? Has she had the stool checked?

Cindy

sugarcatmom
October 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM
She eats mostly wet (fancy feast - the florentine ones i believe, with some dry as well).

What kind of dry? Any way to convince your friend to feed only wet, and a better wet than FF Florentine? The Florentine flavours have too much wheat gluten and corn starch, and spinach shouldn't be fed to cats in anything but miniscule quantities (can contribute to calcium oxalate crystals).

What kind of litter does your friend use? Where are the boxes located? How often does she scoop the box? Along with Winston's suggestion of trying one of the under-the-bed storage boxes, maybe your friend could pick up some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter and see if that helps.

Someone suggested that its behavioural, that the cat is doing it to show that she is displeased with something... could this be it?

Possibly that she is unhappy with the litter box situation, but pooping outside the box is not a form of revenge. Very often, inappropriate elimination has a medical cause, and when poop is involved that often means constipation. Changing her diet to a better quality wet food, adding some extra water, and eliminating the dry might help.