Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flee collar's deadly to cats?

Jo`
September 13th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I just got my cat a flee collar and she is acting kind of strange she is sort of jumpy she can never sit still for more then 5 secs she twist and turns like she is in heat a bit . i did some research on the net and they say flee collars can kill cats but othyer sources say itp erfectly fine to use them i am confused so i am asking is it ok to use a collar and is the sympyoms my cat is displaying normal for having a fleee collar on it?

downloader
September 13th, 2004, 09:21 PM
did she ever wear a collar before?

www.bluewhippet.net

Jo`
September 13th, 2004, 09:39 PM
No,and whats that site got to do with my delima?

moontamara
September 13th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Some flea collars are toxic to certain animals, and I think it depends on your particular cat. My mom's dog almost died from a flea collar, so please be very careful with your cat. You may want to see the vet about this, or even talk to an expert at a pet supply store if money is an issue. Although what you describe sounds like your cat is just annoyed with the feeling of the collar. If you cat starts acting really strangely, like lethargic or drinking too much water, then please take the collar off right away and go see a vet FOR SURE.

I think the site is just downloader's homepage, which is probably part of his/her signature.

chico2
September 13th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Cats if not used to anything around their neck will try desperatly to get it off.
Also they can at times start foaming at the mouth just from the awful pesticide smell.
I would not use a flea-collar,first they don't work,secondly there are better ways to protect your cat.
If your cat has fleas a collar is not going to help.
I know some people do not agree,but I use Advantage on my cats from June to October and have on all my cats,with no ill effect.
Also many years ago I used flea-collars,not only did my cat react negatively to it,but the fleas were collecting under the collar,it was disgusting and very uncomfortable for my cat.
I honestly think flea-collars are a thing of the past and should not be used,but that is just my opinion.

moontamara
September 13th, 2004, 11:28 PM
I agree with Chico. There are better methods, that are hopefully less dangerous.

krdahmer
September 14th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Yep...had a horrible experience with those stupid flea collars. My poor Windy had one when she was a kitten, silly me not knowing better....she tried so desperately to get it off that she got her lower jaw stuck in it! :eek: I came home to find her like that... lucky for me I was able to get it off without hurting her any further. I swear by Revolution! One dose takes care of worms fleas AND ear mites for about $13. If it is an indoor cat of course, if it is outdoors you'd need to do it every month during flea season. :D

iRONKNiGHT
September 14th, 2004, 03:23 AM
My poor Windy had one when she was a kitten, silly me not knowing better....she tried so desperately to get it off that she got her lower jaw stuck in it! :eek: I came home to find her like that..

the Famous Kitty JAW Lock Scenario... they like bondage LOL
just a litter tighter would have prevented that...

i dont like collars.. a Kitty Flea Shampoo is much better..
YOu shampoo her dry her off and by morning she's back to a normal state..

Stewart
September 14th, 2004, 04:20 AM
We have two cats and have had two before them,And all the 27 yrs of keeping cats never used collars,As we believe them dangerous in as much as cats climb/exsplore and collars get caught snag up and can choke them.Heard of lots of instances of this.Try using other methods of parasite control such as front line or one spot it works in a safer way ! ;)

Sneaky2006
September 14th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Omg! I never knew there were such problems with flea collars!
I used them on my cats so they don't get fleas, not so it would get rid of them. I guess I won't be using them anymore!