Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Corn Cob No No

pbpatti
October 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Sadly I had to find this out the hard way. Sasha was doing so well this summer no owies or anything then....We had a corn roast at the lake several weeks ago. I left a cooked cob out for the birds, the following weekend (2 weeks ago) Sasha found it and gobbled it down. :wall: I did not think anything of it because she has always been able to pass stuff. Corn Cobs DO NOT DIGEST! :cry: Yesterday she vomited up 3 pieces of corn cob again I really did not think much about it at the time. As the morning progressed I realized that she was pretty lethargic and that is when I called her Vet and was told to bring her in ASAP. They did a Barium test and X-Rays all day and sent her home with me for the evening with instruction to bring her back this AM. X-Rays this morning showed she still had something in her stomach and possibly 2 things (pieces of cob) right now she is in surgery to have them removed...please do not let your animals have corn cob!!!!

Please send prayers for her quick recovery. I will let you all know how she is doing this evening. patti :pray::angel2:

Marty11
October 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have seen dogs try to steal corn cobs.......Sending good vibes for a speedy recovery.

Dog Dancer
October 5th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I truly hope that Sasha recovers quickly from this. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. I seem to recall many years back one of my pups having problems with a corn cob and while I can't remember what it was (it didn't require surgery I know that) I did remember not to let the dogs have them again. Sorry you had to find this out the hard way. :grouphug:

pbpatti
October 5th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Marty11 and DogDancer thank you for the good wishes, it seems that my 4 legged kid is not the only one eating stuf they should not be eating.... patti

chico2
October 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM
pbpatti,so sorry to read about sasha,hoping she'll come through the surgery with no problems:pray::goodvibes::fingerscr

diandpat
October 5th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Also sending :pray: and :goodvibes: to Sasha and you. So so scary.

The first summer we had Hobo there was a Sunday night that he was not himself...woke up at 3 a.m. and threw up an end piece of corn cob...it was GREEN...can't even begin to imagine how long it had been sitting :eek:

Corn cob must smell so good and if it is gooped in butter, forget it!!!

Please keep us posted!
:grouphug:

pbpatti
October 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I just got the call from Dr. Suzanne, they took a chunk of cob out of the pylorus area and flushed her intestines, 2 1/2 hours of surgery later. My girl is doing ok they say but will have to spend some time at the emerg clinic on intravenous pain meds. will not come home until she eats and keeps it down, likely tomorrow sometime late afternoon.

For those of you who remember the wooden spoon incident it is the same surgery as they did then. Boy when she does it she sure does it good, she is now my $10,000 + doggie. TG for insurance.

I will let you know more later, keep :pray: coming please. patti :angel2::fingerscr

Rgeurts
October 5th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I just got the call from Dr. Suzanne, they took a chunk of cob out of the pylorus area and flushed her intestines, 2 1/2 hours of surgery later. My girl is doing ok they say but will have to spend some time at the emerg clinic on intravenous pain meds. will not come home until she eats and keeps it down, likely tomorrow sometime late afternoon.

For those of you who remember the wooden spoon incident it is the same surgery as they did then. Boy when she does it she sure does it good, she is now my $10,000 + doggie. TG for insurance.

I will let you know more later, keep :pray: coming please. patti :angel2::fingerscr

I'm so glad she is doing ok! You will be in my :pray:'s tonight. I hope she is doing well and eating tomorrow :fingerscr

We have been lucky. Monster ate a wooden spoon but passed it. In the last 2weeks he has also passed 2 paper towels, 3 socks and an intact rope chew toy :eek::eek: (which he must have gotten at daycare!). So I know how you feel! :grouphug:

Goldfields
October 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Rgeurts, no wonder your boy has been so sick, did the vets ever consider looking for foreign objects?
Patti, good luck with your girl, that was a big op. that she had.

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Oh, no, patti!!! Corn cob is insidious--just the right size to plug an intestine! And, seemingly, irresistible to dogs! :yell:

Glad they got it out and I hope Sasha's recovery goes quickly and smoothly! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Dee-O-Gee
October 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Oh dear Sasha!

Glad to hear she pulled through o.k. PBP :thumbs up

Purpledomino
October 6th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I just saw a surgery on a television show that had a surgeon remove a corn cob from a dog with a terrible blockage. The surgeon obviously had seen it many times before, and it really surprised me, because I had no idea they were so dangerous.

I hope your girl recovers and thank-you for posting this to warn others about the potential danger. Hugs for Sasha....and you! :grouphug:

aslan
October 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Patti,,,so glad to hear silly Sasha pulled through with no problems...lol she's an ongoing concern eh..hmmm have you considered just putting a zipper in..:laughing::D

mastifflover
October 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM
So glad Sasha is okay. I did not know that about corn cobs thanks cuz Clark will eat anything that is food no toys just food. Last weekend he ate our sushi dinner while I was getting tea and bf went to the store. Came back all that was left was wasabi and ginger not one piece left. Good thing it is rich in fish oils and we got crumby pizza for dinner while he sat there and looked at us like he has never eaten before.
We do have expensive dogs especially some of us PBPatti and Regeurts. Sasha is in our thought for a speedy recovery

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM
How's she doing today, patti? :goodvibes:

pbpatti
October 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone, well my girl is home, the emerg vet called me at 9:30 this morning and said she is up and about and wants to come home. I go to pick her up and I could hear her in the front of the office poor girl was just calling so pitifully. I bet they just did not want to hear her any longer..she can get irritating with her mewling/moaning.

She got home and I put her right to bed with a blankie on her to keep her comfy. Nope she is not spoiled. lol :p:D

Aslan, I discussed the zipper with Sasha's vet yesterday...sadly not a possible option. :crazy:

I am sooooo greatful for Insurance, this episode cost us almost $5000. ouch! Insurer pays 90% and maybe not the GST/Tax I am discussing this with them to see if they will include it as it comes to over $200.00. patti

Rgeurts
October 6th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Rgeurts, no wonder your boy has been so sick, did the vets ever consider looking for foreign objects?
Patti, good luck with your girl, that was a big op. that she had.

You know... they did! We left him there on Sept. 20 for the entire day! They did a barrium swallow, 12 x-rays AND an ultrasound. None of which showed the foreign objects. The girl who did the ultrasound said it looked like there "might' be something in his tummy, but nothing she would "hang her hat on". That night he pooped the first sock, covered in barrium :eek::eek::yuck:
2 days later a 2nd sock, then 3 days later a 3rd sock. We thought he was ok after that, then he bloated up again last Thursday really bad. We took him to the vet, they took fluid from his abdomen to make sure it wasn't full of blood, and said the bloat was caused by the steroids and the vet thinks he has myositis. Then Sunday night, much to my extreme surprise, he pooped the rope toy :eek:

Sorry to hijack the thread patti! How is your girl doing?

Rgeurts
October 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Oh, nm!! I see she is home and doing well!! I'm so glad :D
I really wish we had insurance, but he was sick when we got him and started having the seizures shortly after, so ours has all been out of pocket :(

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Glad she's home, patti! And being spoiled as she should be. :D

pbpatti
October 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hi, a bit of an update. Sasha's voice is very raspy, she has not had this trouble before after surgury anyone else have this happen to their dogs and if so did it heal on its own? She is a little sore, to be expected but slept well last night. patti

BenMax
October 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Hi, a bit of an update. Sasha's voice is very raspy, she has not had this trouble before after surgury anyone else have this happen to their dogs and if so did it heal on its own? She is a little sore, to be expected but slept well last night. patti

Probably due to the tube while under. Not to worry.

mastifflover
October 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Glad she is home and being spoiled. I agree with BM probably will be okay in a couple of days.

Winston
October 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Pbpatti do you think its because she was barking and carrying on after the surgury? Our old vet used to make me pick Winston up right away because he barked so much no one could stand it...:D

Good Luck with Sasha she is looking as gorgeous as ever! :thumbs up

pbpatti
October 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Thank you BenMax and Mastifflover, I will keep an eye on her and hopefully her voice will return as strong as ever...but boy it would be nice not to have her barking, yelping, whining at me for awhile too.:D patti

Sylvie
October 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I am sure the raspy is from the tube. Last op I had my throat was sore.

What a character you have.

Glad to hear she is doing O.K. TG for the insurance.

rainbow
October 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Just read your post now and glad to hear that Sasha will be okay :goodvibes: and really glad that you have pet insurance. :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
October 7th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I'm so glad that Sasha is feeling better. That must of been very scarey!

hazelrunpack
October 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
So is she back to her usual vocal self, Patti? :D

You be good, Sasha, and do everything your Mom tells you so you heal fast!!! :goodvibes:

pbpatti
October 8th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Besides sleeping lots Sasha is doing really well, her voice is getting better, yes she is a very vocal girl always talking, when I picked her up from emerg she was very vocal so yes that could account for the raspy voice. Getting ready to go to the lake now for our last weekend there (for this season) no swimming for the girl...ahhhhh :cry: patti

rainbow
October 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Glad she's doing well. :thumbs up

Enjoy your final camping trip of the season :cloud9: and hope we get lots of pics. :goodvibes:

pbpatti
October 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
It has been 10 days now since Sasha Magasha had her "zipper":rolleyes: opened again. :laughing: We had our checkup today and she is doing remarkably well, her fur is going in rapidily and you woulod not know she had anything done to her.

I used TTouch and Flower Essences and believe that this is what helped her heal so fast. Thanks for all of your prayers and concern. patti

hazelrunpack
October 14th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Glad she's doing so well! Did she enjoy your last visit to 'camp'? :D

Rgeurts
October 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I'm so glad she is doing well and the vet visit went good! Give her a big hug for me :cloud9::grouphug:

melder7777
October 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Just wanted to thank you for sharing this information. I've allowed my dogs to eat corn cobs many times over the years, never realizing the potential danger.

I must have just (thankfully) lucked out.

Won't be doing that again!

pbpatti
October 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Glad she's doing so well! Did she enjoy your last visit to 'camp'? :D

Well, Hazel she did not get to go swimming again or running free throught the fields but, I think she had a great time and so did I. This past season she was able to go swimming so much more then last year.

Just wanted to thank you for sharing this information. I've allowed my dogs to eat corn cobs many times over the years, never realizing the potential danger.

I must have just (thankfully) lucked out.

Won't be doing that again!

If this post saves one pet then we have done our job. I had no idea that corn cob was bad either, I saw Sasha eat the cob and did not think anything of it until she vomited up 3 pieces 2 weeks after eating it. You are very welcome. patti and sasha:goodvibes:

Marty11
October 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I've seem many dogs grab a corn cob, now I will do something about it for sure!!!!!!

myras_momma
January 17th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Thank you for that info! My BIL lets his dog chomp on corn cobs and I will let him know this. My own dog was about to chow down on one too, until my BIL's dog snatched it away from her..

pbpatti
January 17th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I am so happy that I posted this if just to save one more puppy and guardian from going through what Sasha did. patti