Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Loose stool

mickeysmomma
October 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone.I'm momma to a 10year old male half maine coon half tabby named Mickey.I'm sorry if this is a long story but I want to give all the details.On September 13th Mickey had some yogurt in the morning,that night he started having diarrhea pretty frequently.That lasted a couple of days and finally on Wednesday morning I took him to the vet.They kept him overnight and did a standard pre op blood test.The next day they said he mewwed when they touched his abdomen and wanted to do an x ray.The results were no masses or tumours but they were "concerned" because the left side x ray was not showing his intestines.At this point he had been at the vet for 36 hours.I said I wanted to come and get him.They kept telling me over and over that they would do exploratory surgery.I couldn't help but feel that they saw my tears and wanted my money.The x ray was way too inconclusive to allow such an invasive procedure.I brought him home and he seemed fine.
That Saturday night my hubby gave him some milk and the loose stool started again but but way less frequently.I spoke with my regular vet and he too agreed that the x ray looked more like he had moved than anything disturbing.
When the loose stool didn't stop I took him in and he was given metro (antibiotics) and accute care.The loose stool stopped but he had a bad reaction to the metro.My vet said if his stool was ok I could stop it.I did and all was well till Saturday morning when my hubby gave him milk again:wall:
Now he ahs been having the loose stool every 12 hours since Saturday.
Other than that he has been just dandy running,playing,eating and snuggling.I'm debating getting him some probiotics to see if that clears up the situation.I can't help but feel that the milk is to blame.Could he be lactose intolerant? Does anyone have any experience in this department?? or experience with probiotics and kitty cats?
Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Love4himies
October 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Yes the milk is more than likely to blame. Please do not give any milk products to a cat. Yogurt is normally fine as it doesn't seem to be affected as much by the lack of lactase enzymes, but you may want to cut that out too.

You can try sprinkling some slippery elm bark (found in health food depts) on his canned food. You may find it best to add a couple of teaspoons of water to his food as it may inhibit the absorption of water as it coats the digestive system.

mickeysmomma
October 5th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Thank you soooooo much:thankyou: I personally NEVER give him milk,although I am guilty of giving him the occasional dish of yogurt,which I believe started this whole mess.

Have you ever used bio k probiotics? I've read that they can be used on cats although they are sold for humans.

Love4himies
October 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Yes, probiotics can be harmless, however there are some humans that can't tolerate them, so I assume it may be the same for cats.

I think if it is lactose intolerance, then just stopping the milk should be fine.

mickeysmomma
October 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you so much! He will NOT be having anymore milk...at all ever.I have driven that point home to the hubby thats for sure.I think his head is still spinning lol!!!

I am tempted to try some probiotics to see if it helps to clear up this mess sooner.It has been going on since Saturday morning and my poor little guy gets so embarassed when it happens :(

Maybe I'll wait and see how things go today and play it by ear.

How long do you think it will take for the milk to be out of his system?

Love4himies
October 5th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Thank you so much! He will NOT be having anymore milk...at all ever.I have driven that point home to the hubby thats for sure.I think his head is still spinning lol!!!

I am tempted to try some probiotics to see if it helps to clear up this mess sooner.It has been going on since Saturday morning and my poor little guy gets so embarassed when it happens :(

Maybe I'll wait and see how things go today and play it by ear.

How long do you think it will take for the milk to be out of his system?

He may be in pain (emphasize that to your hubby), due to the cramps :(.

Now in payment for the advice, we ask for pics :D of your kitty :D:D

mickeysmomma
October 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I would be proud to post some pics of my baby:) Just need to know how and where :laughing:

Forget it I figured it out lol!!! Pics are posted in my profile :)

mikischo
October 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the forum, mickeysmomma.

I looked at the pictures in your album and Mickey is a gorgeous boy.:lovestruck:

You can also upload pictures from your computer into any thread by clicking on attachments when you post a reply. I believe newcomers might have to post at least 5 times before they have the ability to do that.

If Mickey's issues are due to lactose intolerance (and I would agree that is likely the cause since these issues always arose after eating yogurt or drinking milk) they should resolve fairly quickly now that he is no longer consuming these products.

Again, welcome, and do continue to keep us up to date on how he is doing.

mickeysmomma
October 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome.Mickey seems to have had an extra trip to the litter box today:( I'm hoping it has to do with the fact that I'm changing his food and upped the quantity today.He was on Purina for the last 10 years (please don't hate me I really didn't know). I'm still leaning toward getting the probiotics for him.He last had milk early Saturday morning and still no change.How long do you think it will take to clear up?
I do remember having a stomach flu myself once and everytime I had dairy itt would start me all over again.
Does anyone know how long it takes to notice a difference with probiotics??

Love4himies
October 5th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I am not such a firm believer of probiotics, the bacteria degenerates very quickly and what you think you are getting is not truly what you are getting.

I would put him on a better quality food.

Here is some good reading:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Please take some time to read this website, it will really open your eyes to cat nutrition.

mickeysmomma
October 5th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks I will study that website.He was on Purina but after he first got sick and spoke with my vet I started switching him to 1st Choice.It's still a dry food but we are headed in the right direction.Once I can get the loose stool under control I will be switching him to a wet food.The only reason he was ever on Purina was because thats what my Mom feeds her cat and I really didn't research anything I just followed her lead.We learn so much everyday and with all the info I have been absorbing since Mickey took sick my head is swimming lol!!!

Do you think it would be too much for his little system to start to make that change to wet food now? Since we are in the middle of trying a new dry food.
I just really want to do the right thing for him,

sugarcatmom
October 5th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Do you think it would be too much for his little system to start to make that change to wet food now? Since we are in the middle of trying a new dry food.
I just really want to do the right thing for him,

I personally would just go ahead with the switch to wet food, especially if Mickey likes it. I've used probiotics on my cats in the past with good success (you need to get high-potency, multi-organism capsules that are stored in the fridge, like Natural Factor's Ultimate Multi), but their effectiveness also depends on the reason for the intestinal issues. They may help maintain balance in the gut flora during a food change and are certainly useful when antibiotics are or have been used. Whether they help in Mickey's situation is hard to say.

mickeysmomma
October 6th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Hi.Thank you Sugar I think I will do the switch to wet food.This whole thing has been so confusing.I was hoping when the second vet I saw gave me the antibiotics (metro) he would be fine then he seemed to be lethargic and peed on my area rug!!! That is something Mickey would never,ever do.So we assumed it was a bad reaction to the pills.She gave me a tube of Accute Care which she said was to restore the good flora during the course of antibiotics.Last night in desperation I tried mixing some with some wet food that he normally loves (he paniced when I tried to give it to him any other way) ofcourse he looked at me with a look of disgust and turned his nose up at it :laughing: Cats are funny little people sometimes.I took his food away last night hoping that by giving his tummy a rest we would calm the problem.
My last plan of action will be to call the vet today for another tube of Accute Care and 3 more antibiotics to make up for what he had last week and give me a 10 day supply and try again:pray: I really hate to do that though in case he responds badly again.
I'm at a total loss here:shrug: My husband does understand now though that if he ever gives the cat milk or milk products again I WILL be filing for divorce:laughing:
Has anyone ever experienced bad reactions to Metrodanizole or any other antibiotic?

Love4himies
October 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
The antibiotics may be causing him to be nauseous and the loose stool too (not sure what metro antibiotics are :confused:). If he is having loose stool, all the more important to switch to a canned food as not as much water is being absorbed into his system.

If Mickey will eat the canned right away, let him.

Here is another website that has some good info:

http://www.cathealth.com/digestive.htm

Not sure if you read the ingredients on the Purina, but I know when I read the ingredients in the PC Nutrition 1st that I was feeding my cats, I was in shock :eek:. I couldn't believe the first ingredient was corn :eek: for a carnivore :confused:.

sugarcatmom
October 6th, 2010, 07:22 AM
My last plan of action will be to call the vet today for another tube of Accute Care and 3 more antibiotics to make up for what he had last week and give me a 10 day supply and try again:pray: I really hate to do that though in case he responds badly again.

I wouldn't give anymore antibiotics or the Acute Care paste. There's no clear reason why Mickey should be on antibiotics in the first place and they often cause more intestinal issues than they resolve.

You can get better probiotics than the Acute Care stuff, which has too many other ingredients (like yeast) and is difficult to administer, as you've discovered. Just get non-dairy human probiotic capsules from a health food store. Sprinkle a tiny amount (1/6th of a cap) into some wet food twice a day. Easy peasy. There's very little taste so most cats accept it in their regular food.

mickeysmomma
October 6th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm going to head to the pharmacy this morning and find some probiotics.I'm so confused,I have never spent soooo much time examining cat poo in my life :laughing: I tend to agree Sugar,there is no clear reason why he needs antibiotics.Although when we went to the vet at 2:30 and she gave him one pill when we got home at 4 he had a normal poo.Which continued till Saturday morning.Was it the antibiotics?? was it the Accute Care??? Was it a fluke??
Ofcourse I'm moving slowly this morning hoping that if I get a stool sample I can run it to my vet on my way out.....now he hasn't used the box!!!! It was the same thing on the day we went to the vet I waited and waited and waited....no sample to bring.I swear he does it on purpose...it's revenge.

So now my last resorts are probiotics or doing a deworer.Mickey's paws have never touched the grass.Although us till this spring he never went out now he has access to a 3 rd floor balcony...could he have gotten worms?? Would it be worth doing a treatment???:shrug:

Sugar,how fast can I expect to see results with the probiotics??

mickeysmomma
October 6th, 2010, 11:37 AM
K so I went to the pharmacy and got the probiotics in capsules.They are Bio Sante Cultures Of Yogurt 5 Billion.Now heres my next question....do I put the entire capsule on his food or just part of it????

I made sure to get lactose free...thanks Sugar:angel:.

So what next????

sugarcatmom
October 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I would give him about 1/2 a capsule twice a day.

:fingerscr that it helps. I doubt he has worms, given your circumstances, but if you wanted to be sure you could get a dewormer from the vet.

mickeysmomma
October 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM
:thumbs up k so half a capsule twice a day it is! Ofcourse since I ran out in the pouring rain he hasn't gone since midnight last night:shrug:
I swear he just likes to make me run and jump thru hoops lol !!!
He's sleeping alot today but he usually does when it's rainy and theres nothing to watch outside.Although the landlord was doing some work downstairs earlier so he went out on the balcony to be "kitty foreman".You can't open a tool box or start a project without Mickey being right there with his nose in whatever your doing:D
So I'll hold off till dinner time and see how things progress.
Thank you so much for all your help:grouphug:

mickeysmomma
October 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Any idea how long it should take till I notice some results from the probiotics?