Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gordie 1 year today Oct 3

seeker
October 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Our story together began in the summer of 1996, he was a very tiny little white puppy with brown eye patches and I was a very busy guy. So it took a while for us to bond. We were driving home on our usual road he was about 8 months old. Gord was in his usual position in the passenger seat sitting up looking out the front window. It was a quiet stretch of road so I reached over to pat him on the head and I got a strange reaction, he tilted his head off to the side away from me. I thought maybe he doesn't want me to touch him but as quickly as he moved his head he lifted his left leg and rested it on my forearm. I didn't move and either did he for a couple of minutes until I had to shift gears. It was clear to me at that moment we were not just dog and owner but mutual best friends, he trusted me and I, him. That relationship would only strengthen over the next 13 years. We were pals, he would howl when I came home, smile when I walked in the room, bark until I went outside and threw his kong until my arm was sore and he couldn't run anymore.
A random blood test when he was approaching 12 years gave us an real shock, his Creatinine and BUN levels were elevated. There were no physical signs of distress but another blood test a week or so later confirmed the worst. What I didn't know then was that once those levels show a sign of a problem 75% of kidney function has been lost.
It wasn't until July of 2009 two months after he turned 13 that signs of illness began to show, he was becoming dehydrated and was losing his desire to eat continuously like he has from day one. Right up to this point he had still been out running with me nearly every day no arthritis, no bad eye sight no real signs of old age or sickness. He had been on meds and I was doing herbal remedies like kidney and liver flushes, filtering his water and anything else i could think of that might make the burdon on his kidneys lessened. We tried saline introvenous 3 times and at first it helped for about 2 weeks before the lethargy returned I was warned that this time would lessen as things got worse and it did. He was not visibly suffering and was generally happy so it made my decision very difficult but it was inevitable what had to be done. One day I tearfully promised him that I would not allow him to be in pain and that his last days would be decent. On Wed Sept 30 i took him to get rehydrated picked him up the next day, by Friday it was evident that he was dehydrating quickly at this point he was not able to hold down water. On Saturday OCT 3 I put him in the front seat of my van drove to the store bought some beef jerky [he loved this stuff but didn't get it often]. I drove to the road where he had put his leg on my arm and we drove to the vet sharing the jerky.
I have suffered much in the past year over my loss that being my best friend and often have second guessed the way I ended it. There is something just not right about deciding when your best buddy has to move on to the next world.
Time will heal and one day instead of mourning my loss on Oct 3 2009 I will celebrate the joy of those wonderful 13 years we spent together. But i am just not there yet.

seeker
October 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Here is a picture of him just before the blood test

Chris21711
October 3rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
Beautiful boy :cloud9:

:candle: Gordie :candle:

Love4himies
October 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Oh Seeker, I am so sorry, I know how long it takes to get over loosing such a loved one :grouphug:.

Gordie was one lucky pup to have you :grouphug:

seeker
October 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks Chris and Love4himies, I will be adding some pictures of him as soon as I pic the right ones.

luckypenny
October 3rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
What a gorgeous boy Gordie was :cloud9:. And what a beautiful memories about the car ride and your relationship with your best friend. Thank you Seeker :grouphug:.

:candle: Gordie

seeker
October 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
On the left is probably the first "at home" pic we have the one on the right is him at about 3 weeks. Before we even knew him.
thanks Luckypenny

Sylvie
October 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
What a sweetheart

:rip: Gordie

Rgeurts
October 4th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Oh seeker... my heart breaks for you :cry::grouphug:
I'm so sorry for the pain you are feeling. He was a very beautiful boy :lovestruck:

You gave him the best gift... a wonderful, loving life. Most of all, you loved him enough to let him go.

:rip: sweet baby :candle:

chico2
October 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
seeker,i am so sorry to read of gordies passing,he was a beautiful pup and you gave him a wonderful life.
i recently had one of my cats put to rest and i believe we all have doubts about that final decision.

however,it is done out of love,a love very strong,to help our friends before the suffering is too great,so no regrets,only we are left to grieve our loss:(

mikischo
October 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Seeker, we understand your feelings, and the grieving process can take a long time for many of us.:grouphug:

Just remember, you gave him a wonderful life, and in the end, painful as it was for you, you did the most loving thing you could do for him. He is in a better place, free from pain.

:candle: Run free, sweet :angel2: Gordie :dog: :candle:

seeker
October 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and comments.

One more of my faithful little friend.
http://i55.tinypic.com/1zvya9h.jpg

luckypenny
October 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM
...my faithful little friend.

That is so obvious in that photo :cloud9:. You were both so fortunate to experience that friendship and love, Seeker.

rainbow
October 8th, 2010, 12:13 AM
That is so obvious in that photo :cloud9:. You were both so fortunate to experience that friendship and love, Seeker.

I agree. :cloud9:

Gordie was surely your soulmate and I hope that the wonderful memories you have will soon overcome your sadness. :grouphug:

BenMax
October 8th, 2010, 07:41 AM
:cry: I am so sorry.

Never second guess your decision. If only we were able to extend this courtesy to humans to end suffering.

Reading this actually makes me cry. 1 - because you are suffering so. 2 - because this dog was so fortunate to have you in his life. I celebrate the fact that you are a wonderful person who truly loved a four legged companion with such tenderness.

I have to say - I think you could write a beautiful article which can educate the public at the same time. Your words are descriptive and I actually was on this ride with you.

Bless you and find peace.:grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
October 9th, 2010, 02:49 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Gordie :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug:

marko
October 9th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss seeker :sorry:

:rip:sweet Gordie :candle:

cpietra16
October 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Reading your story brought tears...the love was so obvious. Losing your faithful companion and friend is always so hard.
:(

rjolly1967
October 10th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I am so sorry for you wow trust me I know how you feel I just lost my German Shepherd after 13 years man it is hard:cry:

seeker
October 12th, 2010, 09:30 PM
As great as the pain still is right now the 13 years we shared was wonderful and those memories will last a lifetime.
To everyone, thanks for your kind words. I know you know the emotions I am dealing with.

wendy205
October 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
im sorry for your loss of goerdie
you had 13 wonderful yrs with him,
his life was not in vain.
but youll miss him dearly as he makes his way to rainbow bridge
love wendy 205
memories are forever in our hearts:grouphug::candle::angel2: