Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

swollen eye?

♥Animal lover♥
October 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
my cat currently lives upstairs since we got puppies she doesn't like them very much. She is an indoor cat and while the dogs are ouside she comes downstairs. She came down this afternoon and her eye was almost swollen shut. We can't take her to the vet untill tomorrow but i want to do something to help her a little bit at least. If you have any idea what could have happened or what i could do for her eye please reply

♥Animal lover♥
October 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
really does anyone have any suggestions

mikischo
October 3rd, 2010, 04:26 PM
There are a number of possible causes including an infection or perhaps an injury from something poking in it. Is there any pus coming out of it?

In any case I can't think of anything that can be done other than seeing a vet as soon as possible. Eye issues need to be treated as soon as possible to avoid permanent injury and antibiotics may be required.

Good luck and let us know how your kitty is doing after she has seen the vet.

Love4himies
October 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
An eye swollen shut should warrant a trip to the emergency vet. Please take your kitty today.

Winston
October 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Will she let you near the eye? She may have poked it on something. How long do you think she has had it?

They onyl thing I could think of is a warm cloth compress but she may not like that?

Is there an e-vet you could call and ask a question to?

♥Animal lover♥
October 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
An eye swollen shut should warrant a trip to the emergency vet. Please take your kitty today.

i can't take her today sadly i am first thing in the morning tomorrow

♥Animal lover♥
October 3rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Will she let you near the eye? She may have poked it on something. How long do you think she has had it?

They onyl thing I could think of is a warm cloth compress but she may not like that?

Is there an e-vet you could call and ask a question to?

she lets you near the eye i looked at it there is a clear liquid like she's crying.
she's had it a few hours probably now. would a warm tea bag work as well as a compress?

mikischo
October 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
she lets you near the eye i looked at it there is a clear liquid like she's crying.
she's had it a few hours probably now. would a warm tea bag work as well as a compress?

Yes, although the most important thing is to get her to the vet as soon as possible, a warm teabag won't hurt and may be a little soothing for her.

Again, let us know how she is doing after the vet visit.

14+kitties
October 3rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately none of us are vets here. We cannot offer you any medical opinion. If she has scratched the cornea or worse, punctured it, a tea bag or anything else you may apply to the eye may do much more damage to the eye. Especially if that eye has a fluid coming from it. Please contact an emergency vet and get your cat in today. Thank you.

kathryn
October 3rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
My main suggestion would be STERILE saline solution to rinse the eye out to remove any debris until you can get her to the vet. A warm compress should be fine as well, but do not put too much pressure on the eye just incase of the the rare possibility there is a puncture or something.

In all honesty, just from the way you are describing it (I am NOT a vet!) it's probably nothing more than a piece of fur in the eye or a small scratch. It's probably just worth a quick vet trip to ensure no damage has incurred to the cornea or other eye tissue.