Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First time pet owner - Van - Looking for a potential Vet

ShibaInu
October 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Hello everyone,

Going to see a prospective breeder on Sunday, as the name says, a Shiba Inu. First time with a dog, I have little to go on. Visited a few vets, but really looking for recommendations.

If anybody has anyone in mind?

Thanks.

BenMax
October 1st, 2010, 12:29 PM
If your breeder is with the CKC, they may be able to assist you in a vet that they use. If not a reputable breeder then you will have to research this. DO NOT use a vet from an unethical breeder whatever you do.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

ShibaInu
October 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks,

Breeder has been absolutely fantastic in communication, they're registered and breed show dogs.

She recommended a few, but they're about 90 minutes away without traffic, it just seems a little far for me.

JennieV
October 1st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Cant really recommend a vet in Vancouver, being that I am in Quebec...Maybe someone else can contribute? But good luck!!
I hope you researched the breed and are aware of possible issues that you may have on your hands?

Owning a dog is such a tremendous pleasure, I am glad that you are going to experience it, and if you stick around - you'll find a GOLDMINE of info on this site, about food, potty training and other things that are imperative to yours and your new addition's overall wellbeing!
:thumbs up:thumbs up

oh...and... we will require photos!! lotsa photos!!!! :laughing:

shibamom
October 1st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone,

Going to see a prospective breeder on Sunday, as the name says, a Shiba Inu. First time with a dog, I have little to go on. Visited a few vets, but really looking for recommendations.

If anybody has anyone in mind?

Thanks.

I use Dr Lau in Langley, he is popular with Langley/Surrey Shiba owners

If you are in the actual city, email Jen at http://www.vancouvershiba.com/ and she'll have some recommendations. There is a meetup this weekend, you should go and ask everyone!

Mine is a Lemaitre btw, your comment about distance makes me think yours might be too!

ShibaInu
October 1st, 2010, 03:54 PM
I use Dr Lau in Langley, he is popular with Langley/Surrey Shiba owners

If you are in the actual city, email Jen at http://www.vancouvershiba.com/ and she'll have some recommendations. There is a meetup this weekend, you should go and ask everyone!

Mine is a Lemaitre btw, your comment about distance makes me think yours might be too!

Thanks,

I actually found this board through your posts while researching Lemaitre.

I've been to the Shiba group, met Jen and recently emailed her the very same question. She seems very busy, haven't heard back. Unfortunately, I can't make the meetup, going out to Abbotsford to see the litter.

Just trying to keep all options open. I'd like to meet several recommended vets against the ones I've already gone to see.

shibamom
October 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Great news!! :) Have you been there to see the litter yet? They are excellent reputable breeders, be forewarned that Sheila's prospective interview is far longer and more thorough than any job interview, mortgage application, or border-crossing grilling you've ever had! LOL! We have had a fantastic experience with them.

You can also use Vet Ratingz
http://www.vetratingz.com/ratings/4136/Veterinarian-All-About-Pets-Clinic.html
(That's ours... Dr Lau. You can search for Vancouver too)

ShibaInu
October 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
LOL, yeah, I was expecting that. I think the Mrs is caught a little off guard though. I think it's a good thing, a sign of a good breeder.

We're going to see her this weekend. Caught off guard by pups on the ground, we were expecting to just meet and greet.

If it works out, maybe we'll have a puppy in a month. If not, we can wait. I think we'll do OK. I've lived around dogs my entire life.

Had a go at petratingz too, looking at a couple in Richmond. I'll just never pass up a potential opportunity.