Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Totally sick with worry

Rosco
September 30th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Ok never done this before but after being stopped by animal control who told me that Grande Prairie, Alberta has a restricted dog law which you guessed it was on the pitty breed or anything even mixed with the pitty breed. I felt compelled to do something about it.

So I'm walking with my two boys aged 5 and 7 who have been raised with my 3yr old male blue nosed pitty and I get stopped because someone had called the animal control people to tell them that I had a pitty. I guess this person didn't see how non aggressive my dog was and the fact that he was so happy to see his brothers after school. Actually we had about 10 kids or more at a time coming over to pat him and say hello, not a jump, growl, or anything but a smile and a wagging tale to greet them. If I had an aggressive dog as a responsible owner there is no way I would have him around my children let alone anyone else.

I too used to be one of those people who feared this breed but that was before I really got to learn this breed. Ive been reading forms on the internet and there is so much talk about this its unbelievable. All I know is that there are good dogs and there are not so good dogs, there are great owners and there are some extremely not such good owners.

So anyway back to my issue.....Ive been informed that my pitty has to be leashed and muzzled in my car while driving, walking in public, hes not allowed to run around in my fenced backyard with my sons, he has to be muzzled and leashed to even go into the yard to pee, if he's left in the yard I have to have a kennel with a pad lock a roof and a concrete floor:yell. Ya I can see why a dog would turn aggressive with that kind of treatment. Dogs aren't meant to be chained up and muzzled only to go insane. Ever look at the animals in the zoos pacing back and forth insane because they are locked up and not living where and how they should be. We are all about race discrimination and being humane but with these kinds of restrictions I definitely see racism and inhumane acts upon the pitty. I know that there are definitely the bad ones out there and that's why we choose the one we did. We did our research found a highly registered breeder and met the whole pitty family.

Restrictions, fine but not to the extent that I mentioned. Walking in public fine I have no problem muzzling him to make everyone feel better but I refuse to treat my member of my family like a murder when he hasn't done anything. Not being able to run and catch a ball with my sons in our totally fenced and locked yard....WHAT????? So next I'll have to have him muzzled in my house just in case he's accidentally let out?

Not only that but when I asked why and what had happened in the past that they passed this by-law the response was nothing its just precautionary. They say it has to do with the pitty not being able to release when it bites. That again after doing research and talking to long term breeders appears not to be as true as we have all been meant to believe.

Needless to say I was up all night upset and my sons were crying because they thought we had to kill their dog. They said that the animal control people just should of asked them and they would of told them how good and nice their dog was to them. That made me cry because I know that the three of them have a bond like none other. My pitty doesn't even let the boys play with toy guns because he knows that guns are dangerous, he hides them or chews them up so I have to throw them out. Funny how he know this without ever seeing a real gun. Something else, just over a year ago a man stopped and started talking to my older son with his van running and door opened and I swear to this day my older son would have been gone if it wasn't for my dog. The guy left right after my dog walked around the corner. Now do you think he would have left if he saw a dog with a muzzle on it...... ya I didn't think so. The police were called and they agreed the dog was a deterrent to the man.

So what Im asking of everyone is if they have gone through anything like this with their municipality and what steps they have done to get these rulings changed. Licensing, applications, home visits, etc fine but usually the ones that have their dogs licensed aren't the ones that need to be worried about, are they?

Anyway if there is anyone out there that might be able give me any advise or direction I would really appreciate it.

cassiek
September 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Rosco,

Seeing as your comments/questions are not related to this thread, you would probably receive more responses to your post if you started a new thread. :)

Cheers!

Blackbear
September 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Post moved to own thread.

bendyfoot
September 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Looks like this legislation has been in place for a long time in your area, since 1998...here's the document outlining the regulations I found online:

By-Law No. 2405 (http://www.countygp.ab.ca/municipal/countygp/countygp-website.nsf/AllDoc/D593DC4F6EB2319B872574C8007AD906/$File/Bylaw%202405%20Vicious%20%20Dogs.pdf)

Breed-specific legislation is something many of us have been living with for some time; it's a province-wide thing here in Ontario. While there are many, many people fighting against it, that battle has been unsuccessful to date. Until things change, you're best to comply with the regulations, or risk losing your dog...I'd read the document carefully.

Some things I thought I'd point out though:

3. a) “Restricted dog” means any dog, whatever its age, of the following
breeds or kinds:
i) Pit Bull Terrier;
ii) American Pit Bull Terrior;
iii) Pit Bull;
iv) Staffordshire Terrior
or any dog mixed breeding which can be identified through its physical
characteristics as a dog partially of the above mentioned breeds or
kinds by a veterinarian licensed to practice in Alberta, unless the dog
has successfully passed a canine good citizen test on a yearly basis.

I don't think there's a similar clause here in ON...it sounds like if you do the CGC tests annually, you can effectively remove the "Restricted Dog" label from your pet...and he sounds like a very good candidate for it.

6. a) At all times while a restricted dog is on the premises of its owner, the
owner shall either keep such dog confined indoors under the effective
control of a person over the age of sixteen (16) years, or confined in a
securely enclosed and locked pen, or other structure, constructed to
prevent the escape of the restricted dog, and capable of preventing the
entry of young children.
b) Such pen shall have secure sides and a secure top, and if it has no
bottom secured to the sides, the sides must be embedded in the ground
to a minimum depth of one (1) foot.
c) When any restricted dog is off the premises of the owner, the owner
shall securely muzzle such dog, and either harness it or leash it
securely to effectively prevent it from attacking or biting a person or
other animal.

You don't have to muzzle your dog or tie it while he's on your own property, as long as the fence in your backyard is secure and meets the specifications above. Your pup would be free to play with your kids and enjoy a good game of fetch in the safety of your yard.

Sorry you had to find out about this BSL BS the hard way.

luckypenny
September 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
If I couldn't do anything to change the laws, and although it sounds drastic, I'd move to another town :shrug:. I couldn't justify paying municipal taxes to a city that penalized my family for the breed of dog I own.

Love4himies
September 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I hate BSL :(, sorry you are going through this. :grouphug:

aslan
September 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
[I]6. a) At all times while a restricted dog is on the premises of its owner, the
owner shall either keep such dog confined indoors under the effective
control of a person over the age of sixteen (16) years, or confined in a
securely enclosed and locked pen, or other structure, constructed to
prevent the escape of the restricted dog, and capable of preventing the
entry of young children.
b) Such pen shall have secure sides and a secure top, and if it has no
bottom secured to the sides, the sides must be embedded in the ground
to a minimum depth of one (1) foot.

You don't have to muzzle your dog or tie it while he's on your own property, as long as the fence in your backyard is secure and meets the specifications above. Your pup would be free to play with your kids and enjoy a good game of fetch in the safety of your yard.

Sorry you had to find out about this BSL BS the hard way.

Not sure bendy but i think you misread that,,or i am,,,looks like it is saying the dog has to be in an enclosed run or basically a cage..must have a top and sides..

Rosco i'm sorry this is happening to you and your family.

bendyfoot
September 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I do beleive you're right, aslan...my mistake...maybe when I was skimming the document I saw something else about a fenced yard? :shrug:

aslan
September 30th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I do beleive you're right, aslan...my mistake...maybe when I was skimming the document I saw something else about a fenced yard? :shrug:

no worries i misread it the first time too,,then happened to glance back at it and :eek:.i don't think even our lovely province has that stupidity.

Love4himies
September 30th, 2010, 06:43 PM
And doing this to a dog will only make a dog worse, that is just horrible, the dog needs to get exercise.

Can you imagine what message such restrictions on a pitbull is sending to the general public. :frustrated: It is just plain racism.

Gail P
September 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
How about erecting a tall wood privacy fence around the yard that nobody can see through and keeping the gate locked. If they can't see in they won't know what's in there, if you have a compound with a roofed top on it or not, unless someone wants to cause you trouble and has animal control come and do an investigation.

Another thing, with regards to the restricted breeds, you'd be better to never tell anyone that he's a pit even though he is. Call him a mix or whatever and even if he looks like a pit if there's no way of proving it maybe you can get him his CGC and use that exemption clause:

"or any dog mixed breeding which can be identified through its physical
characteristics as a dog partially of the above mentioned breeds or
kinds by a veterinarian licensed to practice in Alberta, unless the dog
has successfully passed a canine good citizen test on a yearly basis."

Tundra_Queen
September 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM
That is terrible that they want u to muzzle the dog when he is outside in your yard! I can see walking around town, but in your own yeard? I don't understand why as long as your fencing is secure. :(

I know that in some places, at least in the states, seeing eye dogs have to be muzzled when they are out in the public.

Do u have a sturdy fence around your yard already? Maybe if u do, you could put lundy link fence over it,,,like a tent. So as your kids grow and when adults are outside they can still walk under it. Like a ^. That way the dog WOULD be in an enclosed pen, but so would you. :D I know it would probably be way to expensive, just a thought though.

mikischo
October 1st, 2010, 12:00 AM
There have been some amendments to bylaw no. 2405 that were passed in 2007.

Bylaw no. 2801 which was passed with some amendments to the original bylaw no. 2405 can be found here:

http://www.countygp.ab.ca/municipal/countygp/countygp-website.nsf/AllDoc/16B1E3433FB8EF39872572D10078646E/$File/20070504152811596.pdf

In the original bylaw it almost sounded like if your dog is a "purebred" pitty breed there was no option to change its status by passing the Canine Good Neighbour evaluation.

However, in the amended bylaw the fourth change reads as follows:

4. That article 5 in respect to the requirement for insurance be deleted and
the following article 5 be inserted, namely:

"A dog that has been deemed a vicious and/or restricted dog may revert
to normal dog status by passing the Canadian Kennel Club canine good
neighbour evaluation as administered by a trained and authorized
evaluator."

Unless I am misunderstanding something here, I would say that any vicious and/or restricted dogs (including purebred Pitty breeds) can revert to normal status by passing the evaluation.

If I were you I would confirm that this is indeed the case. You can find out what this canine good neighbour evaluation entails by contacting the Canadian Kennel Club, but from the way you describe your dog, he should have no problem passing the evaluation.

Rosco
October 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks see Im learning already. Had no idea really what I was doing. I think I was just crying to much and overloaded with emotion. But thanks I really appreciate the response and direction.

Rosco
October 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks I'll have to figure out how to do that. Im sure its easy.

Rosco
October 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
See they never told me that part just all the bad stuff. Im forsure going to look into this. Im not going to roll over that easily.

Funny how you really dont think of these things because I never thought of him as a restricted dog. My boys take turns sleeping with him for pete sake.

Love4himies
October 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks see Im learning already. Had no idea really what I was doing. I think I was just crying to much and overloaded with emotion. But thanks I really appreciate the response and direction.

:grouphug: I hope all works out for you.

BTW, we don't mind if you post pics of your precious pup :D :pray:

Rosco
October 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks thats a good idea. Im so glad there are people out there that care as much as I do about animals and how they are treated.

Rosco
October 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Funny you should say that but now that Ive come across this I told my husband that we needed to more outside the city somewhere they cant tell me to mistreat my dog. Welcome to the time of dictatorship.

Rosco
October 1st, 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the response, if there is a loop hole I'll find it. Ive been told about the good cainine test from the kennel club. Im going to look into that right away.

Rosco
October 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hey there everyone, good news Im taking my pitty down to Calgary which is an 8 hour drive to take his Canine Good Neighbour Test at the end of Novemember which unfortualy is the quickest and the closest for us. In the meantime I am drafting an online petition and numerous letters that will be mailed to everyone I can think of. Im also heading down to the local dog park and start to get signatures on my petition.

I just read that Baniff Alberta has just rewritten their BSL policy and now things arent as strick as they once were. I know that I might not get the outcome that I want but I dont want to be one of those people who could have done something but just left it for the next person to take care of. After welcoming my pitty in our family I couldnt imagine our family without him.

I hope others continue to fight for the things that matter and especially matter to them and their family. Remember one voice can be heard and it might as well be yours.:thumbs up

Love4himies
October 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
yay for being a women of action :thumbs up

All the way to Calgary :eek:, that is crazy. Nothing in Edm that is similar?

Good luck.

mikischo
October 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I am so glad to hear that things are working out for your boy. Too bad you have to go such a long way to get the evaluation, but I'm sure you will be the first to say he is definitely "worth the trip.":cloud9:

Kudos to you for taking some proactive steps to try to make some positive changes.:thumbs up

Please keep us updated on how things are going. Also we would really love to see some pictures of this very deserving boy.:D

Rosco
October 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Found out that this bylaw is for Grande Prairie County not City. No Good Neighbour Test loophole here. Anyway started petition you can find it at http://www.gopetition.com/petition/39862.html please feel free to sign it and pass it on. I have been scheduled to address City Hall on Nov 9th regarding this being changed so everyone keep their fingers crossed and pray that I get through to them.

luckypenny
October 20th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Rosco, you may find the information on this site helpful to your cause.

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/

Love4himies
October 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM
Found out that this bylaw is for Grande Prairie County not City. No Good Neighbour Test loophole here. Anyway started petition you can find it at http://www.gopetition.com/petition/39862.html please feel free to sign it and pass it on. I have been scheduled to address City Hall on Nov 9th regarding this being changed so everyone keep their fingers crossed and pray that I get through to them.

Good luck :thumbs up

PeterAlphaPaws
October 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
There are channels in place to fight City Hall but it tends to be a difficult process not often worth the time, effort and money. Unless you can get a group of dog owners together who support you and your cause to make it more visible to those in a position of authority.
It's unfortunate the image the Pit Bull has developed over the last few years as a result of a few bad apples. No one seems to remember what a great dog "Petie" was from the Little Rascals show. (A dog whom I might add, was filmed quite frequently on set with only children around, no adults at all!)
Good luck to you and I wish you and your family all the best through this difficult time.

Dog Dancer
October 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Personally I would go ahead and get the CGC certification done anyhow. It certainly can't hurt to have it to bolster your cause. Good luck to you with the fight. It's certainly not going to be easy for you, but with effort sometimes things change. Our neighbours recently banded together and had the city change their opinion on where to rebuild a highschool. They already had the signage up and we rallied, wrote e-mails, signed petitions, you name it - and it worked. So keep up the fight! Your pup is worth it.

Rosco
October 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Petition is going well. Had lots of backing from public, collected over 100 signatures for my petition. Have backing of some vets and their staff as well as some councilors on the the board. Been in contact with Banff and got a lot of information from them. Been in contact with Delta BC who is just in the final phase of getting rid of the BSL and got information from them. Thanks to everyone for the support and if we all stay together and fight we will make a difference one city/municipality at a time. I'll keep you posted of events once met with council.

luckypenny
October 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Great news Rosco! Please keep checking back in with updates. Good luck :goodvibes:.

chico2
October 29th, 2010, 05:20 PM
petition signed,good luck roscoe:fingerscr:goodvibes:

Love4himies
October 29th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Good luck!