Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Panacur prescribed even though tests results negative?

Rgeurts
September 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Our vet called today and said to come in and get some medication for hookworms. She said even though he had previously tested negative, she thought it was a good idea to treat him anyway :confused:

I have read on it a bit and seems there can be some bad side effects and has been shown to cause liver tumors in lab rats. I know the chances of side effects are small, but with nookie monster, he just seems so delicate and anything that "can" happen seems to. :(

The medication is also outdated. The packaging says July 2010 so they said there was no charge but that it is perfectly safe and to use it. I said I don't mind paying for it, but free is nice. She said again that it is perfectly safe. I just hope she is right.

kathryn
September 29th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Panacur is so safe I'd eat it as gravy on every meal just to prove a point.

With fecal tests, not every stool sample will contain the eggs or parasites. They might be "hiding".

As far as being outdated, ehhh I'd still use it if it were my animals as long as it's unopened and has been stored safely.

Rgeurts
September 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Thank you for the reply! It is not the liquid, it is the granules. So each dose is in a little foiled paper package, unopened :)
I do hope he does have hookworms, would solve a bit of the mystery. I didn't know they could still be there if he tested negative.

Frenchy
September 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
With fecal tests, not every stool sample will contain the eggs or parasites. They might be "hiding".

Ditto !

Nice of your vet to give you the stuff , I also think it's still good. IMO , expiration dates are ... marketing. Not saying it would still be good after a few years :p but a few months is ok.

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Worms can be very difficult to detect, Rgeurts, depending on when in the worm's life cycle the dog happens to be tested. Panacur is a good broad-spectrum wormer, so if there are hooks or whips or whatever worms in there, it'll take care of them. We buy Panacur by the pound (slightly cheaper that way but still pricey) and often do multiple treatments a year. So far we've found it to be very safe and effective.

Is this for Thorin? He's still having problems? :grouphug:

Rgeurts
September 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Ditto !

Nice of your vet to give you the stuff , I also think it's still good. IMO , expiration dates are ... marketing. Not saying it would still be good after a few years :p but a few months is ok.

lol, ok! And thank you. I feel better about giving it now :D
I know I must seem so paranoid, but it just seems to be one thing after the other with monster. He makes me :crazy:
But I love him to death :lovestruck::cloud9:

Worms can be very difficult to detect, Rgeurts, depending on when in the worm's life cycle the dog happens to be tested. Panacur is a good broad-spectrum wormer, so if there are hooks or whips or whatever worms in there, it'll take care of them. We buy Panacur by the pound (slightly cheaper that way but still pricey) and often do multiple treatments a year. So far we've found it to be very safe and effective.

Is this for Thorin? He's still having problems? :grouphug:

I guess with your gang, by the pound would be the way to go :laughing:
And nope, not Thorin, it's for Nookie Monster. He's still having so many tummy troubles. The Pancrease-V doesn't seem to be doing much of anything except making him sick and drool so we cut the dose back to 1/3 of the original. So I think the vet is just trying whatever she can at this point.

Thorin is doing great now. No more bloody poo or puking. We take him back on Saturday for follow-up blood work. I'm :pray:ing the Lipase is back to normal.

hazelrunpack
September 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Good for Thorin. :highfive: I hope his Lipase tests out normal on Sat!

Sorry to hear Nanook is still having problems, though. :fingerscr the Panacur helps! :goodvibes: