Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog attacked me for 48 stitches

InsanerElainer
September 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM
We have a 15-month old Great Pyrenees stud and a Pyr cross bitch female. She has gone into heat and he won't leave her alone. I was trying to break them up (stupid on my part?) when the male turned on me. I required an ambulance ride to hospital and have stitching on my face, scalp, left arm and left boob. Many other bites not requiring stitches. Do we keep this dog we love so much and just keep him chained up outside when the female is in heat? Do we try to find a home for him on a farm where he can work as he was meant to? Do we have him put down? We don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Love4himies
September 29th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Ummm get them spayed and neutered :frustrated:

Frenchy
September 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM

I second that !!!!!!!!

14+kitties
September 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Why in Heaven's name would you put yourself in between two huge dogs when one is in heat and the other wants to get to her? Why then punish a dog for doing what comes naturally? You want to put him down because he did what he would have done if you had been another dog. You were a rival. That's what he saw. Male dogs going after a female dog don't care about anything but getting to her. They will kill to get to her. Literally.
My suggestion is to get them both fixed and then teach them both that they are worthwhile pets and not just needed to breed mutts. JMO

diandpat
September 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM

I second that !!!!!!!!

Why in Heaven's name would you put yourself in between two huge dogs when one is in heat and the other wants to get to her? Why then punish a dog for doing what comes naturally? You want to put him down because he did what he would have done if you had been another dog. You were a rival. That's what he saw. Male dogs going after a female dog don't care about anything but getting to her. They will kill to get to her. Literally.
My suggestion is to get them both fixed and then teach them both that they are worthwhile pets and not just needed to breed mutts. JMO

What they said :shrug:

Rgeurts
September 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Do we keep this dog we love so much and just keep him chained up outside when the female is in heat?

Have him neutered and her spayed, then there is no need to worry this will happen again.

Do we try to find a home for him on a farm where he can work as he was meant to?

If the only reason you have them is to breed them, then yes. Find them a loving, caring home where they will not be in danger of being put down for doing what comes naturally. As a responsible owner, you have control over the situations, they do not. Please spay and neuter.

Do we have him put down?

Absolutely not :eek:

:shrug::wall:

cassiek
September 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
No need to get rid of or re-home eitheir dog... have them fixed. Yup, its that simple. :lightbulb:

kathryn
September 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
It's sad that I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were a phone call at my clinic :shrug: Have to break it to everyone, but there are people out there just that :crazy:

Um, spay and neuter them, be a responsible pet owner and take better care of your pets? If you had two children that were fighting, would you just take one outback and chain him to a tree?

Maybe rehome your pets to someone who's actually going to care about them and give them a proper home?

Or just ignore our suggestions and continue putting yourself and others in a dangerous situation because you choose to be an irresponsible pet owner?

cassiek
September 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
It's sad that I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were a phone call at my clinic :shrug: Have to break it to everyone, but there are people out there just that :crazy:

I know :( which is shocking in this day and age... sigh.

Um, spay and neuter them, be a responsible pet owner and take better care of your pets? If you had two children that were fighting, would you just take one outback and chain him to a tree?

Maybe rehome your pets to someone who's actually going to care about them and give them a proper home?

And neuter/spay them!! :lightbulb:

Or just ignore our suggestions and continue putting yourself and others in a dangerous situation because you choose to be an irresponsible pet owner?

Well put, Kathryn.

mastifflover
September 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
:wall::wall:
Really your dogs were doing what comes naturally. You need to spay and neuter then you can avoid these types of situations. One thing we do not need is more giant breeds without the proper health testing that get dumped when they end up with $$$$ medical issues.

the gang
September 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
i third that!!!!:wall: people just dont get it brenda and the pins

Rgeurts
September 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
One thing we do not need is more giant breeds without the proper health testing that get dumped when they end up with $$$$ medical issues.

Amen!
Nookie Monster is living proof of that statement :(

BenMax
September 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM
It is funny in a sense. I mean really...dog's trying to mate, someone gets in the middle, injuries, hospital, stitches, chaining dogs, loving them at the same time, get rid of.... The shelters are full of these 'loved' un-altered dogs. Some make it to adoption, some don't. To see these 'loved' dogs lined up and picked out on who lives and who dies...well that is a fuzzy moment.

Please take the time to understand what happened, why it happened, and if you really do love them, then please do the right thing: Spay and neuter. It is the responsible thing to do.

Good luck.

Marty11
September 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I don't get why breeding is even appealing. Vet bills!!!! Placing pups and hoping they get a good home? Dealing with heats, marking, aggression. Leave it up to professional breeders I say. Get them fixed.

Blackbear
September 30th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Pls remain on topic. If you have something to contribute, pls keep it civil.

Blackbear

Blackbear
September 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Rosco, I've moved your post to its own thread here (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72838). Good luck!

Longblades
September 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I was trying to break them up What do you mean by this, exactly? Had he mounted and they were tied? If you tried to break apart a pair of tied dogs you could have seriously injured one or both of them.