Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need to find a new home for my 2 cats

rbarker
September 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hello,

i'm not sure where to post this on this site but i live in Toronto Ontario, Canada and i have joined the Canadian Military and need to find my 2 cats a new home before i ship out for training, sadly i cannot bring them and we will have to part ways. I tried posting this on facebook among my friends for the past few weeks but nothing turned up so i'm trying to out reach to the community through different Toronto and GTA posting sites, like this one.
I have until the end of october to find a new home for my cats. there are 2 of them, Kitty, an almost 5 yr old grey tabby, she is fixed. and Lulu, who is 2 1/2 yrs and black and white, she is not fixed (if you wish to get her fixed, i will pay you the costs). Kitty is a snuggle cat who loves hair elastics, her brush and of course snuggling up with you at any point in time. She seriously goes nuts for her hair elastics and brush, she's even taught herself how to brush herself if you hold it up for her and will actually play fetch with the hair elastics. Lulu is a bit more energetic than Kitty but still likes to sit with you and be pet while you watch tv. she loves her laser pointer and pretty much anything small enough to play with, discarded pieces of paper like ttc transfers in particular. Both are indoor cats that have no problem with being left alone for the weekend provided proper food and water is left out. i would prefer to keep them together as they are very fond of each other. i really hate to let them go but it's one of the draw backs to enlisting into the military.

Love4himies
September 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Can you not leave them with a relative or a friend?

rbarker
September 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
no, sadly no one i know of is available to help me, i`ve been looking through friends and family and on facebook for almost a month now. for the past week or more i`ve been looking for pet sites around the toronto area and even craigslist to help me find them a new home

Frenchy
September 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
even craigslist to help me find them a new home

be very very careful if you get replies. people sometimes do not have the best of intentions.

Have you posted about it in vet's offices ?

Love4himies
September 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Here is a facebook link who may have some help for you:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20539957027

rbarker
September 28th, 2010, 05:39 PM
@Frenchy - thanks for your concern, i`m not a fan of usuing craigslist myself. i actually havent had any responses from craigslist, not even any spammers.

@love4himies - thanks for the link, i think it's more for extended pet sitting but i'll post my situation on there as well, hopefully someone can help.

mikischo
September 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I feel for you in this situation. Rescues and no kill shelters are an option but there are so many homeless kitties that they are all filled up most of the time and I'm sure you would much rather know that your girls were already safely in a good permanent home before you leave.

Love4himies
September 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I know the first year of the military you are so busy on course :(. I was hoping that maybe after you have finished your courses you would want your kitties back.

rbarker
September 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM
yeah, in the end if nothing else turns up i'll have to look to dropping them off at a shelter, which i really dont want to have to do.
I have joined the military as a marine engineering mechanic in the Navy, so not only will i have a year of training to do but also 2 yrs of schooling while living on base, and will be constantly out on boats afterwards. i dont think i'll be getting my tv back for 3 yrs let alone any pets i would have. finding them a new home would just be better.

14+kitties
September 28th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Have you tried looking into boarding them? Maybe whoever you find to board them with will try finding a home for them. Yes, I mean you pay to have your pets looked after. That is only fair.

mikischo
September 28th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Please keep us posted on how things are going in finding a home. Maybe someone else on here will have some other suggestions.

Also, if you have to give them up to strangers, please screen them very carefully to ensure that they are going into a loving home. Also, if you have to advertise them, it is best to never advertise them "free" to good home. You never know what kind of people you might get if you advertise them for "free."

Love4himies
September 29th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Have you tried looking into boarding them? Maybe whoever you find to board them with will try finding a home for them. Yes, I mean you pay to have your pets looked after. That is only fair.

If this person is single and joining the Navy, then it is probably best for the cats to be rehomed into a loving home as he/she will be constantly gone for extended periods of time (6 months). It is too bad there isn't family that could take the kitties :(.

14+kitties
September 29th, 2010, 07:40 AM
If this person is single and joining the Navy, then it is probably best for the cats to be rehomed into a loving home as he/she will be constantly gone for extended periods of time (6 months). It is too bad there isn't family that could take the kitties :(.

I meant instead of dropping them off at a shelter where we know their probable outcome. :shrug: To me it would be a more viable solution. Wouldn't it be worth it to their peace of mind to know their furries are in good hands and can be checked on? If they are single and living on board most of the time then the money to board kitties should be available. Or maybe a relative could be found to look after them if that relative gets paid for food and litter costs. Just thoughts.

Love4himies
September 29th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I meant instead of dropping them off at a shelter where we know their probable outcome. :shrug: To me it would be a more viable solution. Wouldn't it be worth it to their peace of mind to know their furries are in good hands and can be checked on? If they are single and living on board most of the time then the money to board kitties should be available. Or maybe a relative could be found to look after them if that relative gets paid for food and litter costs. Just thoughts.

I gotcha now :thumbs up

14+kitties
September 29th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Have you tried contacting Toronto Cat Rescue? I doubt they have room at a fosters but maybe if you could find someone willing to foster through them until they can find a new home? That might be worth it too.
There are different options than taking them to a shelter.

BenMax
September 29th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Being X-military myself, I do understand the situation but this does not mean that you will be in basic training and then trades training forever. I had family members look after them until after all training was completed. While on leave and settled, I picked them up and brought them home.

When on deployment, I did the same thing. There was a time when I was really stuck (as I lived in Calgary and home was Quebec), and I put my dog into boarding.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If you can ask around, you may get some help from family and friends if they know that this is not a forever situation.

Believe it or not, even some shelters may assist by holding the animals for you pending your return. You can always ask.

Good luck.

14+kitties
September 29th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Being X-military myself, I do understand the situation but this does not mean that you will be in basic training and then trades training forever. I had family members look after them until after all training was completed. While on leave and settled, I picked them up and brought them home.

When on deployment, I did the same thing. There was a time when I was really stuck (as I lived in Calgary and home was Quebec), and I put my dog into boarding.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If you can ask around, you may get some help from family and friends if they know that this is not a forever situation.

Believe it or not, even some shelters may assist by holding the animals for you pending your return. You can always ask.

Good luck.

:grouphug: Thank you mf. I love your thinking!! :thumbs up

BenMax
September 29th, 2010, 01:15 PM
:grouphug: Thank you mf. I love your thinking!! :thumbs up

Well 14+K - it's not really thinking but the exact same thing happened to me years ago when I first joined. Back then I was not the same person as today and it was mom who said that there was no way I was going to give them away because I had a change of lifestyle. She made sure I understood that this was a minor situation in my life and the animals would not pay for that. It was because of her that I am more knowledgeable, take responsibility and ensure that I take care of business. It was a valuable lesson...and look where I am today. :thumbs up

Mom is wise.:grouphug:

14+kitties
September 29th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Mom is wise.:grouphug:

Moms usually are. :cloud9: :thumbs up

BenMax
September 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
yeah, in the end if nothing else turns up i'll have to look to dropping them off at a shelter, which i really dont want to have to do.
I have joined the military as a marine engineering mechanic in the Navy, so not only will i have a year of training to do but also 2 yrs of schooling while living on base, and will be constantly out on boats afterwards. i dont think i'll be getting my tv back for 3 yrs let alone any pets i would have. finding them a new home would just be better.

Chances of your cats being successfully re-homed at a shelter is minimal. I have seen some gorgeous young cats killed because of illness (due to stress), no room, and time restrictions. Trust me, the way a cat is euthanized in a shelter or pound is absolutely disturbing. You do not want this for you beloved pets.

There are other alternatives if you really think about it.

Blackbear
September 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Only approved rescues are allowed to post animals for adoption, so this thread will now be closed. However, because of the good advice given, the thread will not be deleted--the hope is that the information may be useful to others who find themselves in a similar situation in future.

Thanks to the members who offered advice to the OP.

Blackbear