Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skin Disease & BHP

Seshadri
September 28th, 2010, 02:38 PM
My dog:dog:is 8yr old Country dog. For the past 3 yrs my dog is suffering from skin disease, Taken a scan now & found BPH and doc saying that skin problem is due that because of harmonal problem.Today the doc has injected around 5 injections including testosterone and he says that to give 3 days continuous testosterone injection and 15 days oral medicine "finast 5mg". I heard that Testosterence should not be given if there is BHP. Please guide me whether I'm going through the right process or not. Please help.

Seshadri TV

kathryn
September 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I'm going to guess he is probably not neutered. If that is so, he probably should be neutered now if it's safe enough. From a spay/neuter technicians stand point, basically all those boy problems like the prostate problems are related to not being neutered. We routinely neuter older dogs for these conditions and they have no ill effects.

Seshadri
September 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks a lot kathryn for your kind reply. I've neutered him 3 yrs ago itself. Doc had a doubt that a testicle may be left unnoticed inside.That's the reason why I've taken a Scan. I scared whether i can go thru this process of injecting testosterone for 3 days since he's affected by BPH. Just gone thru some sites and found that testosterone should not be taken if somebody is affected with BPH. Ofcourse for humans !! But I'm not sure for Dogs..That's why worried. Please share your thoughts..

Seshadri TV

mikischo
September 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM
You are correct in being concerned about the administration of testosterone injections. That is not definitely not normal procedure for treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy. Finasteride is the normal medical treatment for it which I see your veterinarian has also prescribed. Neutering is the most effective long term solution to this issue but you say this has already been done. I find it difficult to understand how your dog can have BPH if he is already neutered, unless perhaps the operation was incomplete and there is still a testicle remaining as you mentioned.

Seshadri
September 28th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks mikischo for your reply.

As already informed, it's neutered and today omitted the doubt about a testicle left inside thru scanning. But I'm really confused why he's prescribing testator..not finding guidance till now..

Seshadri TV

kathryn
September 28th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Huh, that is odd for him to develop that, but being neutered at any age more than a year or two old can lead to an increased risk of these kinds of problems. Usually once they are neutered though it decreases it :shrug: We often get older male dogs that get testosterone related tumors that go away within a few weeks after getting neutered.

Then in that case, why the heck would they want to give testosterone??? That makes NO sense! Testosterone is usually the cause of most of the "boy problems", so increasing it doesn't make much sense to me?? :confused: If it were my pet, I would opt for a second opinion before starting medical treatment I was unsure of.

Was he a cryptorchid? As in, did he have an undescended testicle you were previously aware of? In that case, if they did not remove it during surgery for whatever reason, yes that can cause some issues! If he was just a regular dog going in for a regular neuter, you should be able to notice if a testicle is still there.

I will be honest with you, I live in the states and vets DO leave behind testicles!!! If the dog is a cryptorchid and they don't feel like looking for it, they sometimes leave it behind in the hopes they can find it at a later date and never do. I've seen it with my own eyes before!

Seshadri
September 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks again !! It's good Point !! I'll have a second opnion from some other tomorrow. Pity is here very hard to find a good/conservative Vet !! Will keep you posted once the second opinion is done. Actually I've neutered him since he was very aggressive and bited me more than 11 times.:offtopic:

But he's very lovely and affectionate too.. Can't keep him suffering like this.

Your guidance will help me lot..

Seshadri TV