Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Allergic reactions?

Dee-O-Gee
September 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
We've had a bad bout with fleas this year. :( We've been using advantage and Zodiac premise spray which seems to be working well with the dogs and Kitty but Bella has taken a real turn.

She has licked herself raw on her side, and her entire body is full of bump like scabs. Mounds of them and we can't get her to stop licking herself. :frustrated:

She's schedule for the vet on Thursday but I'm wondering if she had an allergic reaction to the flea medications or if she would be allergic to fleas in general. :shrug:

Also, is there anything else we can do to stop her from licking herself raw until Thursday? :confused:

hazelrunpack
September 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Oh, ouch! Poor Bella!! Did it come on suddenly?

Do you have a cat-sized DEC? Might be the only thing that'll keep her from licking.

:fingerscr some of the more cat-savvy members chime in soon!

Quick recovery for Bella! :goodvibes:

Dee-O-Gee
September 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Oh, ouch! Poor Bella!! Did it come on suddenly?

Do you have a cat-sized DEC? Might be the only thing that'll keep her from licking.

:fingerscr some of the more cat-savvy members chime in soon!

Quick recovery for Bella! :goodvibes:

To make a long story short, The bumps were visable when our daughter went to the shelter back in November of last year. She questioned them about the the bumps and they advised at one time, she was abused in so much that someone decided to douse her with human cologne as a prank. :frustrated: All the more reason to bring to into a safe enviroment eh?

The bumps disappeared for the better part of the year until the hot weather kicked in and the fleas decided to infest our privacy. :frustrated:

My daughter wants to check out the pet store tomorrow for the cone but we're hoping the vet can shed some light onto this irritation come Thursday.

Poor thing is sitting on my lap right now. Claws in thighs (my thighs :yell:) and the only thing I can do is stop typing. Pet her and to keep her from licking herself raw again. :(

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Good luck at the vet tomorrow! I hope they can give her something to make her more comfy! :goodvibes:

Dee-O-Gee
September 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Thank you for your kind wishes Hazel.

We tried a kitty cone but that didn't go over very well. Somehow, she clawed it off of her neck and found it all chewed up when we got home from work. Humph, :whistle: plastic collar on floor + 2 curious dogs = 1 chewed up plastic collar!

Bella hasn't eaten since yesterday morning and has been sleeping constantly for the past two day in the window sil. She also had a dreadful runny stool tonight as well which has caused concern. :sick:

Not a good feeling about this and will update with the vet visit tomorrow. :fingerscr

luckypenny
September 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Klm, you used Advantage Multi on her? I'm thinking perfume has alcohol in it as does AM so I wouldn't be surprised if it's an adverse reaction. I know Lucky and Nukka scratch like mad for several days if we use a topical on them too. Have you rinsed her off since you applied it? Maybe it'll help soothe her some until you see the vet?

:fingerscr she gets better asap :fingerscr

Dee-O-Gee
October 3rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
We were not using the multi LP, just plain advantage.

The vet suspects that Bella is allergic to fleas so he switched Bella & Kitty over to Revolution and we picked up Advantage 55 for Gryphon & Mollie. Their already taking interceptor for heartworm so the Revolution would be over kill for heartworm medicine as far as the dogs.

Since Thursday, Bella has taken a wonderful turn in that most of the bumps on her skin have disappeared, her licking wounds are almost gone and she is eating much healthier now. She's still sleeps a far bit but at least she's sleeping comfortably now. :)