Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New 4 month old kitty, need advice for claws!

catalina76
September 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Hello everyone!!

We got a new cat today, we named her Maggie.

Maggie is my first regular cat (we always had persian or himalayen before) and she is SO sweet!

She has her claws and I would like to keep it that way!

So I need your help and tricks. Since we have a 2.5yo and 5yo daughters, DH is not fond of leaving the claws on. But, I figured I had about 2 weeks to prove to him it is an operation that is not needed!!!!

Here is Maggie
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/catalina76/DSCN4504.jpg

sugarcatmom
September 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
She has her claws and I would like to keep it that way!

Please do! Here's a very informative website on why you should never declaw a cat: http://www.pawproject.com/html/

Since we have a 2.5yo and 5yo daughters, DH is not fond of leaving the claws on.

Why? Has Maggie scratched the kids? If so, what were they doing to elicit the scratch?

Tell your DH that cats need claws to defend themselves, whether that's from dogs, coyotes, other cats, or even his own children. If I child is doing something to a cat that results in a scratch, than that's a lesson to the child not to do that again. Oh, and declawed cats have a hugely increased propensity to bite. And let me tell you, cat bites are WAY worse than scratches.

If you can't convince your DH that declawing is not the solution, than I suggest rehoming Maggie. It's not fair to her to have to go through the agony and life-long repurcussions of having her toes amputated because an uninformed human thought she *might* scratch the kids one day.

ETA - Forgot to add some tips: First, learn to trim her nails. It's not hard and if you need help with that, let me know. Make sure she has at least one good scratching post (tall, sturdy, made of a material she likes) located in an area she frequents. Teach your kids how to play nice, and never leave them unsupervised with Maggie. You could also have the vet apply Soft Paws (http://www.softpaws.com/) for a little while until your DH is confident that Maggie isn't a rampaging lunatic that will scratch your children to death.

catalina76
September 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the advice!

No Maggie hasnt done anything to the girls. The girls havent even met Maggie yet, they will tonight when they come back home.

Where I live I must admit that it is VERY common to have cats declawed. Too common I am afraid.

I suggested he makes a post for her to scratch her paws on or that we buy one (he jumped on the idea of making on as it is something for him to do that he loves).

Right now Maggie has only done her nails on the kids rubber carpet in the playroom, which is fine with both of us.

I got some articles out and the pictures of a declawing surgery just to put him up to date about what is actually done.

Is softpaws safe for the cat??? (I am sure it is since you are showing it to me). How does it work and how long can they be left on?

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thank you for not considering to declaw your cat. Many will turn to biting, which is a much bigger health issue and urinating outside the litter box.

Great advice sugarcatmom :thumbs up. Very important to teach your children that playing with hands is not allowed, no exceptions. For a cat to learn, there must be 100% consistency. There are some great feather stick toys that will keep your daughters hands away from claws. :thumbs up

A cat's claws can be trimmed down quite a bit so that you won't feel them when you are playing with them.

Rgeurts
September 27th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Soft Paws are safe. A dear friend of mine has had them on his kitty for at least a couple of yrs now. They last him 5-6 weeks (until the nail sheds). He loves them :)

He lives in a rented apartment, which alot of landlords now want the cats declawed, but the soft paws are a much better alternative if something "has" to be done.

14+kitties
September 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Clipping a cats' claws really isn't a biggie. If you get the kitten used to having the paws played with then when it is time to trim the nails back it really isn't a big shock to the kitten. With practice it can be done in a minute or two once every couple of weeks. If done properly, as L4H said, you will never feel the cat's claws when playing.
A good scratching post is an absolute must. In fact one in a couple of spots in your home will help to discourage your kitty from using inappropriate places. This is a very informative site to read..... http://www.catscratching.com/

Maggie is a beauty!!!!

oh me nerves
September 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Soft Paws are safe. A dear friend of mine has had them on his kitty for at least a couple of yrs now. They last him 5-6 weeks (until the nail sheds). He loves them :)

He lives in a rented apartment, which alot of landlords now want the cats declawed, but the soft paws are a much better alternative if something "has" to be done.

I love soft paws/claws. Wonderful things, they work great and come in a variety of colors to make it a little more fun but also come in just clear. They just glue on, completely harmless to the cat. How old is Maggie? She doesn't look very old unless she's just a very petite adult. She's a cutie by the way!

14+kitties
September 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I love soft paws/claws. Wonderful things, they work great and come in a variety of colors to make it a little more fun but also come in just clear. They just glue on, completely harmless to the cat. How old is Maggie? She doesn't look very old unless she's just a very petite adult. She's a cutie by the way!

The title says 4 month old kitten.

Marty11
September 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Make the post it's way better. Put the carpet on backwards, kitty's like the underside better. Removing claws no way, it would be like taking dogs teeth out, they need their defences. She's a very pretty cat, are her eyes that green?

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Make the post it's way better. Put the carpet on backwards, kitty's like the underside better. Removing claws no way, it would be like taking dogs teeth out, they need their defences. She's a very pretty cat, are her eyes that green?

My cat stands (except the one in the kitten room) are all home made and they are the BEST! Cats never touch my furniture. :thumbs up

14+kitties
September 27th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Wrapping the post with Sisal rope is even better. The cats love the feel of that under their tootsies. :thumbs up Sisal is available at many stores and is reasonably priced.

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Wrapping the post with Sisal rope is even better. The cats love the feel of that under their tootsies. :thumbs up Sisal is available at many stores and is reasonably priced.

It more resembles the feel of a tree. Mine are wrapped in carpet as we recycled old carpet but our next one will be with sisal.

Chris21711
September 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Kale's has sisal, he goes nuts on it....he also goes nuts on the armchair though :yell:

cell
September 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I double the suggestion towards soft paws if you need some relief during the rambunctious clawing kitten phase