Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

don't know what else to do.. someone please help!

aim_puggle<3
September 27th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Hey there
I have a Puggle puppy; she is 6 months old. She is not a very good listener I'm having trouble with training her how to behave. I'm obviously doing something wrong!
Lately she's been peeing in the house; I take her out for frequent bathroom breaks after playing and napping. Having issues sometimes with her listening when we do go outside, she just runs around and plays when I need her to go potty. She has lots of playtime so she shouldn't horse around when its time to do her business. When she pees in the house it is not in one spot; and it is usually a big puddle; so I know she isn't marking her terr. So these are accidents. When she does go pee In the house, I take her outside immediately and bring her on the grass and show her where to pee; I don't believe in hitting my dog; or rubbing her nose in it- I don't need her being more confused. I got her spayed in August so I'm not sure exactly why she is doing this! Does anyone have helpful tips I can get help with this. I am getting a little frustrated with her having so many accidents and need training advice .... Please help us!!!

Thanks for your time :)

Amy

shannon1233A
September 27th, 2010, 08:28 AM
First, I'm glad to hear you don't believe in hitting her, or rubbing her nose in it. Just for the record, those actions would make things worse. Hitting, can and often does lead to aggressiveness, or fear aggression down the road and putting her nose in it can lead to all sorts of medical problems.

You have to understand that we speak English, dogs don't, so when you say you take her out and tell her to pee, she doesn't understand those words yet. Especially when she's just peed inside, she's probably wondering WTH? is she saying...what does she want me to do now?:laughing: So now for the good news. First, take her to your vet, and make sure there's no medical issue, such as a bladder infection, or weak bladder, or any other medical condition resulting from her spay that may affect how long she can "hold it in" so to speak.

As for the training/housebreaking. Take away her water if you leave it always available. When you do give her water, take her outside immediately after she drinks, as she'll probably have to pee within 15 minutes. Just put where you'd like her to pee and wait until she does. Immediately give her LOTS of praise as she pees. Let her know she's just saved the world :) A dog always pees as soon as they awake from a nap, so follow the same rule whenever she first wakes up. If you take her out every half hour throughout the day for instance, you're bound to catch her peeing at some point, and take advantage of it by again, BIG, and LOTS of praise. Accompany it with words like "good pee", "good girl". A treat is always helpful, or her favorite toy. Any meaningful reward when she pee's outside means alot. You can also confine her to a certain area when inside, so elemination and the urine scent is not spread throughout the house until she is house trained. Positive reinforcement is the key. If you punish her ( as you mentioned by hitting, or putting her nose in it), not only can it cause medical and behavioral issues, but she could get the message it's wrong and try to hide to pee in the house, as well as even try to hold it so as not to be punished leading to another medical problem.
So, outside every half hour, upon awakening, immediately after every meal/drink, and LOTS and LOTS of praise and love when she's successful. Hope this helps :thumbs up

14+kitties
September 27th, 2010, 08:53 AM
One other thing to add to Shannon1233A's great advise is to always take her out on a leash. That way you have a little more control on where she goes. :thumbs up

shannon1233A
September 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM
TY 14+, I should have added that! Also they sell great products to remove the urine smells that doggies can pick up better than humans inside the house. Those places have to be cleaned and then rinsed with vinegar. Urine erase is one, and I'll have to look up another.

Frenchy
September 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Also they sell great products to remove the urine smells that doggies can pick up better than humans inside the house.

There's also one you can make yourself : 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol , 1/4 cup of vinegar , 1 cup of water. Put in spray bottle.

I can tell you , this stuff works. :)

lilwhitefurball
October 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
some peeing and pooing issues are physiologically triggered. Good that you are not dealing with the issue by hitting her or by doing something really gruesome as rubbing her nose on it.

Marty11
October 15th, 2010, 09:45 PM
My wonderful stubborn Boston Terrier still has accidents. I believe the small dogs are harder to potty train. I have only owned big dogs, never had issues. If nobody is around to let her out, she has her spot I tell ya.....:frustrated:

Mogsmum
October 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Could it be spaying incontinence?

Other than that, she is still young. Just keep at it. I have never had a puppy younger than 9 mths, and he was house-trained when we got him, so I'm no expert on the matter.

I can, however, tell you how to toilet train kids :thumbs up

Rio'sMadison
October 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Another enzyme cleaner you could try would be Nature's Miracle.

Is she crate trained? A crate is immensely helpful for potty training and lots of other things :)