Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I caved -- we have a cat in our spare room

Masha
September 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM
In my other thread i mentioned Simon. His sister has been trapped, vaccinated and dewormed and she and simon are playing and living at my sister's place while she is struggling with the every present 'should i keep them or not'... she is a student and $ is a little tight... but i think she may cave, they are too cute.

Yesterday we finally trapped their mommy. She completely rejected the kittens, as through they are two strange cats, trying to swat them and hissing and growling, so.... she is now at my place in the spare room. She is the SWEETEST cat i ever met. very young. likes to rub against me, purr and roll on her back and side for petting :) she likes being picked up too. So far monkey hasnt freaked out, and been very curious about the visitor behind the clsoed door. He has been hanging out by the door, sniffing under it.

Tomorrow she is going to vet to get checked out and if all comes out clean, i will put her towel in monkey's area so he gets used to her smell and then later try an introduction. If all is well she will be an addition to our family.

Soo exciting :) she is a sweetheart and deserves a good home. she needs to gain weight but she loves the canned food she is eating so i hope she will gain it soon. I will post photos later :)

Expect many questions on introducing cats if all goes well at the vet (i wanna check her out for contagious cat to cat diseases as she has been outside for a bit). Will keep you guys posted.

14+kitties
September 26th, 2010, 10:30 PM
:grouphug: You and your sister are the best!! I know what your sister is going through right now too. :rolleyes: It is not unusual for the mom to reject her kittens if they are separated for a while. Especially if she is young. Seeing as Simon has been away for a while I would expect that.
Good luck at the vets. I hope things work out well for you. :fingerscr

I know how difficult it can be to introduce cats. Sometimes it can be done quickly. Sometimes not. One thing I would recommend. You mentioned putting her towel in with Monkey so he can smell it. Could you also give her something of Monkey's so she can smell that?
It's great they are sniffing under the door. Is it up high enough they can exchange paws too? You know, bat at each other? If not do you have a crate you can put her into to introduce them at first? That way you can see how they will react to each other and can supervise. I have used that method for a long time now with mine and it seems to work well. Normally the first day or so I get the hissing. By the third day things are much better.
My favourite site remains .....
http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Masha
September 27th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I think i also need a link on how to get hubby to calm down about the fact that there is a new addition :rolleyes: he is slowly coming round to the idea

I took her to the vet today and she was such a good girl. now waiting to hear from them about the test results. they said she is probably in heat based on how she was in the vet clinic so i will be takingher in for a spay.

Frenchy
September 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
It's great they are sniffing under the door. Is it up high enough they can exchange paws too? You know, bat at each other? If not do you have a crate you can put her into to introduce them at first?

first of all congratulation Masha !!! Can't wait to see pics of her !

14+ has great advices. That is how I always did it. I put the newbie cat in the guest bedroom for about a week. Then I would let him/her out for about 20-30 minutes a day under supervision , for about another week. After this , the cat was out and about. :cat: good luck and keep us posted !

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I think i also need a link on how to get hubby to calm down about the fact that there is a new addition :rolleyes: he is slowly coming round to the idea

:angel::angel::angel::angel: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: on that hubby link, yeah 14+ we need one that tells us how to deal with hubbys :laughing:.

I just tell DH that the kitty is not staying and that it is up for adoption. I still have one that I say that about (Rose) and she's been here for a 1.5 years. DH is so smitten with her that he wouldn't let her go :p :cloud9:

14+kitties
September 27th, 2010, 08:57 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing: on that hubby link, yeah 14+ we need one that tells us how to deal with hubbys :laughing:.

Earplugs work. :thumbs up :laughing: They do a great job of ignoring us when we complain about something they do..... like plunking themselves down in front of the TV for countless hours of sports when we have sooo many important things for them to do. I figure turn about is fair play. :shrug:

chico2
September 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM
masha,thank you for giving this girl a chance for a wonderful life:grouphug:

Frenchy
September 27th, 2010, 09:58 AM
You might want to tell hubby she's a hairball , the new improved ones , they speak now :eek: :p

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM
You might want to tell hubby she's a hairball , the new improved ones , they speak now :eek: :p

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Men love new technology :thumbs up

Masha
September 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
:laughing::laughing:

someone needs to come up with a manual of introducing hubbies to new fur kids. it will be a bestseller!!!

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM

someone needs to come up with a manual of introducing hubbies to new fur kids. it will be a bestseller!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

14+kitties
September 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
:eek: Google has failed me. :( I googled "How to introduce your husband to your new cat" and .......nothing!! Not one single solitary website!! I am shattered. Simply shattered.
;):p

14+kitties
September 27th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Around here introductions work this way.......

Hubby: Is that a new cat?

Me: It may be. :shrug:

Hubby: Where did it come from?

Me: Well, a customer/coworker/some idiot/etc said they were going to have to take it to the pound to be put down because someone in the house is allergic/hates the cat/it's spraying/etc....

Hubby: People are idiots. Why do they get a cat they don't want?

Me: (sighing) I don't know dear. It's not fair to the cat. That's for sure.

Hubby: You don't think it's staying, do you?

Me: Of course not dear. I am working on finding a new home for it. And I walk away smiling.......

ancientgirl
September 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM
You and your sister are wonderful for helping this little family. Tell Hubby she's one of those robot kitties they make in Japan. They look really life like.

aslan
September 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM

lol,,14+ just save time and say " NO"

congrats Masha on the new addition and good luck with training hubby.

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I meant to tell you Masha that Sweet Pea rejected her kitties after she came home from the vet (very snarly at them :evil:) and would reject each of her kittens as they came home from the vet. It took about 24 hours to get everything back to normal.

14+kitties
September 27th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I meant to tell you Masha that Sweet Pea rejected her kitties after she came home from the vet (very snarly at them :evil:) and would reject each of her kittens as they came home from the vet. It took about 24 hours to get everything back to normal.

:thumbs up Also, if she is in heat that will affect her reaction to them as well.

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 02:36 PM
:thumbs up Also, if she is in heat that will affect her reaction to them as well.

Oh yes! it sure does.

Frenchy
September 27th, 2010, 02:43 PM

I could but I don't have anyone to try them on :p

I would be : hey hun , meet new doggy / kitty ! And just in case you're not ok with this , your bags are already packed and by the side of the door . :whistle:

yep , I'm single :laughing:

aslan
September 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
you know it would be much simpler if men just learned on phrase...." yes dear"..seriously they're going to lose anyway so why not just save time.:D

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM
you know it would be much simpler if men just learned on phrase...." yes dear"..seriously they're going to lose anyway so why not just save time.:D

I know :yell:, sometimes I think they should have a say, but we never listen :shrug: so what's the point :laughing:

aslan
September 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM
i figured out along time ago with G,,if it's not said in the first 5min,,she aint listening anymore.

Masha
September 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I know :yell:, sometimes I think they should have a say, but we never listen :shrug: so what's the point :laughing:

you all are too funny!!

Hubby just told me he is gonna pet and visit the cat (will be calling her Amy) in her room soon.... somewhere inside of him... somewhere deep inside... is a big softie... it just needs to be prodded with the jaws of life out of him...

Koteburo
September 27th, 2010, 10:32 PM

Me: It may be. :shrug:

Hubby: Where did it come from?

Me: Well, a customer/coworker/some idiot/etc said they were going to have to take it to the pound to be put down because someone in the house is allergic/hates the cat/it's spraying/etc....

Hubby: People are idiots. Why do they get a cat they don't want?

Me: (sighing) I don't know dear. It's not fair to the cat. That's for sure.

Hubby: You don't think it's staying, do you?

Me: Of course not dear. I am working on finding a new home for it. And I walk away smiling.......

:laughing: Oh I laughed at this. It's so true
I used to do that to my dad and mom and now to my husband :laughing:
That's just like me.

Masha
September 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Ok good news - Amy's test results came back and she is all clean and ready to be introduced to Monkey :) Now i can start applying all the tips you guys gave me!! Sooo happy. She has finally found her forever home :) she is gonna be one spoiled kitty. no more babies for her, just lotsa toys, hugs and kisses and treats and food :) I can now join the ranks of the multi cat households :) yey!!

Love4himies
September 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Yay :thumbs up :highfive: :lovestruck: And, ummmm, we need pics :pray:

ancientgirl
September 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Yay :thumbs up :highfive: :lovestruck: And, ummmm, we need pics :pray:

:laughing:L4H you beat me to it.

Masha
September 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Introducing, my little girl Amy:

ancientgirl
September 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
What a little beauty! I think that bed is just the beginning of the spoiling.:D

Frenchy
September 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
That kitty bed looks pretty comfy :cloud9:

she's very cute , lucky girl ! :cat:

chico2
September 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM
awww masha,what a sweetie:lovestruck:

Love4himies
September 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Oh what a cutie pie she is :lovestruck::cloud9::lovestruck:, she is one lucky gal :lovestruck::cloud9:

Koteburo
October 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
So that's Amy <3<3<3 I love her colors and her pink nose. Cutie:cloud9:

14+kitties
October 2nd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Pretty, pretty girl. :cloud9: And very fortunate you came into her life. Just as her kittens are fortunate to have your sister. :thumbs up:grouphug:

Masha
October 13th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I have been following the instructions you provided, especially the ones in the http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management site. Currently Amy is in her special room when no one is home, but she is out when we are home. She likes her room and hangs out there even when the door is open (there is a large window overlooking the street and trees).

Monkey is such a :lovestruck:, the way he behaves around amy is so sweet and gentle it makes me so proud of him, my mushy little man.

Amy is a :lovestruck: with us and is ok with monkey but sometiems she has a bit of a :evil: streak in her. She is a bit territorial (will this be reduced once she is spayed??) and when monkey goes up to the second floor where her room is, she sometimes ignores him but sometimes gives him a bit of a chace and thumps/swats her paw in the air at him. Monkey just turns around, takes few steps back and sits there all grumpy looking. Once she is distracted by something, he repeats and she just ignores him.

He tries to get closer to her a lot. If she is sitting at the curtain, he comes and sits with her. If he is on the bed and she jumps up and lays on the other end of the bed, he comes and lies closer to her.

Her main thing seems to be when Monkey tries to enter a room/area where she is at, then she gives him a small chace and a swat in the air (no nails) -- but then an hour later i see them both sitting in a room not minding each other.

Is it normal behaviour on her end? When i am within reaching distance so that i can react immediately and i see her giving monkey a chace/swat i scold her (telling her a loud no) and put her back in her room for a time out -- is that correct? should i just let them sort this out as this is not violent?

Monkey doestn seem to be discouraged -- he hangs out around her quite often -- he is a persisten little man :cloud9:

14+kitties
October 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Personally with my cats once they have free run and the intros have been done successfully I let them work things out. The only time I step in is if I see claws out and hear the growling/spitting/hissing going on. They have to be allowed at some point to figure out the order of bitc.... I mean the pecking order in the house. :o
Once Amy is spayed you will find she will settle a little. No more hormones to rule the way she reacts to Monkey. For the most part it sounds like Amy is doing wonderfully well in her new home. :cloud9:

Masha
October 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
she is such a cuddle bum. the moment i lay down she has to run up and lay near me or on me. she also met Jermy :) he as curious, he sniffed her and now he treats her like monkey - wants to play and likes to sit and watch her. she was unimipressed and ignored him -- brave kitty... i would be scared if 90 pounds were to come and sniff me.

oh i have another question about her :) -- she eats so much. she eats alone double of what monkey eats and she is much smaller than him!! Monkey weight 5 kilos and she weight 3, but he eats one 5.5 ounce can a day and she eats 2 (she would eat more but i am afraid to overfeed so limit it at the two medium cans). She inhales an entire medium sized can of wellness in 1 hour.... is that because she is catching up after being slightly underweight and breastfeeding and because she was outside and never knew when the next meal is coming?

14+kitties
October 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
oh i have another question about her :) -- she eats so much. she eats alone double of what monkey eats and she is much smaller than him!! Monkey weight 5 kilos and she weight 3, but he eats one 5.5 ounce can a day and she eats 2 (she would eat more but i am afraid to overfeed so limit it at the two medium cans). She inhales an entire medium sized can of wellness in 1 hour.... is that because she is catching up after being slightly underweight and breastfeeding and because she was outside and never knew when the next meal is coming?

Yep. Most of the ferals I have here eat like there's no tomorrow until they figure out the food isn't going anywhere. Right now she's afraid if she doesn't eat fast it's going to disappear. And having recently had a litter as well wouldn't help. She gave so many nutrients to them it is taking a while to get them back. Once she is spayed she should settle into an eating pattern.

Have you made any decisions about when she's getting spayed? She should be dried up enough to go in any time.

It's great she's met Jermy. Funny how no matter how large the dog is cats mostly don't care. :D

Masha
October 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
my vet quoted me $500 to spay her... which i think is crazy... but if no choice i will pay...

i called the newmarket spay and neuter clinic and left a voicemail... if they dont call back soon will have to go with a regular vet clinic...

14+kitties
October 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM
my vet quoted me $500 to spay her... which i think is crazy... but if no choice i will pay...

i called the newmarket spay and neuter clinic and left a voicemail... if they dont call back soon will have to go with a regular vet clinic...

I'll PM you.

chico2
October 13th, 2010, 04:15 PM
wow,$500 for a spay,seems like a lot,but i have not had a girl kitty for many years.
i am glad things are going well between the two kitties and your jermy:thumbs up
i think we need some pics,if you didn't already post some:cat::dog:

Masha
October 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I posted some photos from her first few days here in another thread but i definitely need to get more updated photos (As i am typing this monkey and amy are playing... its amazing, i never realized monkey would enjoy a kitty friend that much)

14+ thanks for hte PM (i will do as you suggested) :fingerscr it works out.

now if i can get a photo of both amy and monkey together that will be too awesome... need to go work on that :D

Masha
October 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Amy will be getting spayed this Friday by the Newmarket OSPCA spay/neuter clinic, they called me back as they had a cancellation. Yey.... $50 vs $500... :rolleyes:

14+ -- I did as you suggested but the newmarket clinic called back so I will go with them instead. Thank u :)

If it wasnt for this site i wouldnt even know abotu the newmarket spay neuter clinic...

14+kitties
October 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Amy will be getting spayed this Friday by the Newmarket OSPCA spay/neuter clinic, they called me back as they had a cancellation. Yey.... $50 vs $500... :rolleyes:

14+ -- I did as you suggested but the newmarket clinic called back so I will go with them instead. Thank u :)

If it wasnt for this site i wouldnt even know abotu the newmarket spay neuter clinic...

Good for you. :thumbs up I'm glad it worked out. :highfive:

Chris21711
October 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Masha the clinic also administer vaccines at reduced rates if you want.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60522