Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice from rescuers/HS workers

bendyfoot
September 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM
So there's this little wee 3 year old, 5-lb poodle at our local HS. She was seized from a hoarder along with 40 other dogs. She is not housetrained, nor socialized, and most of her teeth have been extracted because they were rotting out. She's scruffy and pathetic-looking...

and DW is completely smitten.:laughing:

I just got off the phone with one of the shelter staff to get more information on her, and we'd like to go see her on Monday.

We understand the challenges involved with taking her, and think she'll fit in with our pack of weirdos and offcasts just fine if given some time and TLC. We'd give her a really great home.

Here's the problem: this HS has a policy where all family members- human AND canine - must go to the shelter to meet the potential adoptee. They basically put everybody in a small pen just outside the main kennels and see what happens. It's loud, chaotic, and completely overwhelming for everybody. Personally, I think it's an absolutely terrible practice; the excitement and anxiety that this completely artifical environment creates is just setting up everybody for failure...excitement can easily lead to fear, agression, and all sorts of antisocial behaviours.

Sigh.

I know there's no way that we could bring our three dogs to this "pen" and have a successful first meeting. No way. BUT, I beleive that if we were to bring the little one home and calmly, slowly introduce her to the family, just as we have with all newcomers, we'd be just fine.

So here's the dillema. Do we forget about the whole thing? Do we ask shelter workers if we could try our own approach first? Or, do we lie through our teeth and say we have no other dogs at home right now?

I'd like to think that option #2 might work if we talked to the shelter staff about it, but the realist in me says that this is probably a hard-and-fast-rule for which they make no exceptions.

Can anybody advise us on this? What would YOU do? :confused:

Chris21711
September 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Can anybody advise us on this? What would YOU do? :confused:

First off Bendy bless You and DW for wanting to add to the family...:grouphug:

Is there any one of your guys that would be behaved enough to do a meet and greet, without overwhelming the little guy...if there is then I would say that you just have the 1 dog.

if not

LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH and don't feel bad about it at all, sometimes shelter workers (no offence meant, my daughter was a shelter worker for 5 years) have their little rules and personal judgements which doesn't necessarily mean they are qualified.

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I love chris's suggestion :thumbs up. It would be a little white lie :D. and white lies are allowed if nobody is harmed :D

shirley1011
September 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'm with Chris!!!

bendyfoot
September 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
First off Bendy bless You and DW for wanting to add to the family...:grouphug:

Is there any one of your guys that would be behaved enough to do a meet and greet, without overwhelming the little guy...if there is then I would say that you just have the 1 dog.

if not

LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH and don't feel bad about it at all, sometimes shelter workers (no offence meant, my daughter was a shelter worker for 5 years) have their little rules and personal judgements which doesn't necessarily mean they are qualified.

LOL :laughing:

I forgot about that option (option #4?)...bring only one dog. That would be Jaida of course...she'll be keyed up and crying (as she would be pretty much anywhere else) but will probably run away from the poodle :laughing::loser:

Seriously, I mean, look at this FACE!

http://www.ottawahumane.ca/adoption/petharbor_dogs.cfm (It's "TeeDee")

Chris21711
September 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
After looking at her sweet face :cloud9:....if you have to LIE...no qualms about it, it's for a good cause.

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Yup, that face is worth a wee white lie :cloud9::lovestruck:

cassiek
September 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
She is absolutely gorgeous! :lovestruck: And bless your heart for wanting to adopt her.

I would try to bring one of your dogs if you can. If that won't work I wouldn't hesitate to lie if it was me :o

I also think that type of situation is not very practical. In that type of environment, every dog/cat would act completely different. It's just asking for trouble. That being said, sometimes shelters have these rules that are not always the most well thought out. I know we generally have a hard and fast rule about not adopting out dogs to people who don't have fenced in yards, but we do bend the rules sometimes (thank goodness) as a fenced in yard should not be a reason for someone to not adopt a dog.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of her once you get her home!

Chris21711
September 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
When Ethel worked in adoptions many times she would take a dog to the potential adopters home instead of doing an intro at the shelter, it was far less stressful for everyone involved. That being said, having three dogs with all different personalities imo Bendy is a situation that only you and DW could would be able to direct in the best interests of all involved.

cassiek They also had the "fenced yard" rule here but not anymore.

TeriM
September 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I agree with the others advice :thumbs up.

mastifflover
September 26th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I also agree what is a little white lie, especially for this cutie. Knowing TeeDee would be going to a home that is willing to do the work to make her a fit for their band of misfits It would be worth a big fat lie as well. Good luck and hope to see pictures soon.
Remember you are lying for a good reason

aslan
September 26th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Bendy i agree 100% with the others and think Jaida would be an excellent spokes person for your pack...the shelter seeing her would HAVE to see you are willing to do anything you can to take care of an animal in your home. Goodluck to you and DW...:fingerscr

Frenchy
September 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I also agree with the white lie :)

chico2
September 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM
good luck bendy,that little sweetheart is worth a hundred little white lies:lovestruck:

Chris21711
September 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM
So this proves what a lying bunch we are :laughing: :evil:

bendyfoot
September 26th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Seriously, what a bunch of scumbags! :eek:

:laughing:

(It's a good kind of terrible, though, I think :D I spent all last night reading up/watching videos on how to properly groom poodles :loser: I can't wait to get my hands on that little ragamuffin and make her shine :lovestruck:)

14+kitties
September 26th, 2010, 11:30 AM
What a sweetheart she is! My Keesha is a silver but she is a toy. Other than that they sort of look similar. Grooming isn't really difficult once you get them used to the machine. Of course my girl hates having her legs and face done so most times she walks around with hairy legs. Very hairy legs! Her face gets done regularily though so she can see. The most important part of grooming a poodle is their anus. The fur grows into it and can cause some major issues. :yuck:

I am not going to add any more to the suggestions other to say you've got some good ones. :thumbs up Good luck!!

Love4himies
September 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Maybe we should have a disclaimer stating that this thread is not intended to endorse lying to get a dog from a shelter/rescue :eek: :laughing:

Chris21711
September 26th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I also agree with the white lie :)

Or a BIG FAT BLACK ONE :evil:

rainbow
September 26th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Maybe we should have a disclaimer stating that this thread is not intended to endorse lying to get a dog from a shelter/rescue :eek: :laughing:

But this is only a teeny weeny white one and a good one at that. :D

driver8
September 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Going to be the devils advocate here. Just a caution to only do this "lie" thing if you are certain the outcome will work out.

I volunteer at a shelter, and it is heartbreaking from a human standpoint and very hard on the dogs when adoptions don't work out. The number of people who bring a dog back because they aren't prepared to do the work it takes to train, care for a dog or supervise the dog around their possessions, other pets and children - is astounding. It doesn't sound like this is you, it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of dogs and what it takes to care for them and know how to do introductions. But there is always the chance the the intro might not work out. Shelter dogs have often been through a lot, and you can't always predict their behaviour.

I just kind of wanted to put into the thread that there is a good reason for these types of rules, cramped or less-than-ideal shelter surroundings not withstanding. It's not always about shelter staff having judgmental attitudes, but about wanting to prevent what they see on the other side of things when dogs get turned in.

It's really too bad the shelter doesn't have a better place or environment to do the intros in. The shelter I volunteer at recently got a big new building, but the old building had a tiny room for intros that was just as bad as what you describe. They didn't have much else to choose from. Have you asked the shelter staff (or get a friend to ask since you don't want to jeopardize your adoption) if the intro could be done someplace else? Even outside in a yard might be better than what you are describing.

Frenchy
September 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM
:confused:

driver8 , Bendyfoot is one of the most responsible dog owners I know , she knows what she's doing.

driver8
September 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM

driver8 , Bendyfoot is one of the most responsible dog owners I know , she knows what she's doing.

Yup, I think I said that in my post. Thanks. :)

NoahGrey
September 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Going to be the devils advocate here. Just a caution to only do this "lie" thing if you are certain the outcome will work out.

I volunteer at a shelter, and it is heartbreaking from a human standpoint and very hard on the dogs when adoptions don't work out. The number of people who bring a dog back because they aren't prepared to do the work it takes to train, care for a dog or supervise the dog around their possessions, other pets and children - is astounding. It doesn't sound like this is you, it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of dogs and what it takes to care for them and know how to do introductions. But there is always the chance the the intro might not work out. Shelter dogs have often been through a lot, and you can't always predict their behaviour.

I just kind of wanted to put into the thread that there is a good reason for these types of rules, cramped or less-than-ideal shelter surroundings not withstanding. It's not always about shelter staff having judgmental attitudes, but about wanting to prevent what they see on the other side of things when dogs get turned in.

It's really too bad the shelter doesn't have a better place or environment to do the intros in. The shelter I volunteer at recently got a big new building, but the old building had a tiny room for intros that was just as bad as what you describe. They didn't have much else to choose from. Have you asked the shelter staff (or get a friend to ask since you don't want to jeopardize your adoption) if the intro could be done someplace else? Even outside in a yard might be better than what you are describing.

Have to agree. Lying could harm the dog in the long run.
I have to admit i find it odd that you just don't tell them you own three dogs. Either this dog, might not get along with other dogs, or you have a number limit of pets in your area.

It is better to be honest with the shelter. Just because you think that everything will be ok, doesn't mean that it will. Why not talk to the shelter. Maybe you can work something out with them, like having weekly visits with each and one of your dogs and see how they all get along.

cassiek
September 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
When Ethel worked in adoptions many times she would take a dog to the potential adopters home instead of doing an intro at the shelter, it was far less stressful for everyone involved. That being said, having three dogs with all different personalities imo Bendy is a situation that only you and DW could would be able to direct in the best interests of all involved.

cassiek They also had the "fenced yard" rule here but not anymore.

That's terrific they did away with that rule. I think it's one of those rules that has become somewhat of a 'standard' with SPCA's, humane societies etc. but there really is not a good reason for it, IMO. :confused: Although I can certainly appreciate that it maybe is conveinant having a fenced in yard, it by no means is a indicator of what type of owner someone will be. Technically, I wouldn't have any of my dogs if that rule was set in stone :rolleyes: :laughing:

I agree. I think TeeDee will fit in wonderfully with your crew Bendyfoot, and I would not hesitate to lie myself to adopt her. I think she will make a wonderful addition to your home. :thumbs up

bendyfoot
September 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM
No offense taken, driver8...I know that many people haven't the first clue about how to take care of a "normal" dog, let alone a trainwreck :D

We've got challenging animals here...one who was returned to the HS 3 times before we took her because of human and dog agression....it took us 5 years to get to the point where she could be around other dogs...now she lives with two...she also had anxiety/OCD issues which very rarely appear these days. Another one who was dumped because she looks like a pittie. The third was raised in a byb, is a medical wreck...she used to shake like a leaf when we took her outside to pee because she'd never stepped foot outdoors...now we can hardly keep in inside :laughing:. We're used to working extremely hard to keep our animals happy, emotionally/behaviourally balanced and healthy.

Given our animal's histories, and how we maintain stability and harmony in our pack, we've found a "system" for introductions that works very well for everybody, and keeps everyone safe and calm. We've got a good, stable pack of dogs who would be a great influence on a socially inept and scared dog like this little poodle.

bendyfoot
September 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I have to admit i find it odd that you just don't tell them you own three dogs. Either this dog, might not get along with other dogs, or you have a number limit of pets in your area.

I'm not at all worried how my dogs will get along with her, nor she with other dogs (she was in a foster home with many other dogs and did just fine). Nor is the pet limit an issue. What I'm concerned about is having one dog who is already terrified thrown in a small space with with three strange dogs who are going to be very excited in an environment that does nothing to promote a calm and natural introduction.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Noah Grey and Driver8, you are absolutely right, I would never want somebody to lie, however, because we know Bendyfoot so well and what she has done with her pups we have no doubt this pup would be going to an exceptional home.

There is never any guarantees that animals will get along. They can at first, then something can happen to set one off. I am currently living that and have been for years.

I also think that many dogs miss very, very good homes due to the strict rules some have in place. I still believe that rescues/shelters should go on a one by one basis.

As Bendyfoot stated, asking for 3 dogs to meet a dog who is probably stressed may not give a true indication of what the dogs may be like a month or two down the road.

driver8
September 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM
That's why I wonder if the behaviour and adoption staff at the shelter would be willing to do things differently IF they were approached with the background of Bendyfoot, this potential adopter and concerns about the intro environment. Oftentimes the "rules" are entirely bendable, but you don't know that unless you ask. The frontline desk staff don't give out all the exceptions that are made on an individual basis.

Bendyfoot, I would suggest that you (or a friend) phone and ask to talk to the adoption manager about your concerns. Someone with the authority and experience to know if rules can be bent in your case. That way you don't have to lie and you are also covered if there are hiccoughs in the introduction process. I know that the behaviour staff at my shelter do a lot of work with the dogs and can help during the initial introduction time as well.

Chris21711
September 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
That's a very noble suggestion driver8 but if it backfires and the staff are not prepared to bend, then adoption is out of the question.....One cannot retract a conversation.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2010, 06:37 PM
That's a very noble suggestion driver8 but if it backfires and the staff are not prepared to bend, then adoption is out of the question.....One cannot retract a conversation.

Exactly what I was thinking. Do you risk it?

shirley1011
September 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I certainly wouldn't risk it...and I'm sure Bendyfoot has some idea of the rules and how "bendable" they are.
What goes on in one shelter doesn't necessarily follow true for another.......and in this case if it backfired it is the poor little guy that will suffer!

Driver..out of curiosity, what area are you affiliated with rescue?

Chris21711
September 26th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Do you risk it?

Not if it was me....

When we first brought Jack home knowing he had cat and dog agression, it was already arranged that he go to JRT rescue....he was being overlooked at the shelter, had they known that he was suppose to be going to a rescue they may not have allowed us to pull him. We therefore adopted him and kept him here (in the basement) for a few days before the rescue had acquired a foster home for him......Luckily for us he sorta learned to behave and now is a big member of the family :cloud9:.

Soooooooooooo, withholding info is not so bad imo.

driver8
September 26th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Hence my suggestion to have a friend make that phone call. ;)

A bunch of suggestions to lie to a shelter in order to get a dog? I just can't agree unless other more honest avenues have been tried. Do you know for a fact that rules cannot be bent? I bet a good source of info on that would be your own vet - that would be a safe person to ask too. :)

driver8
September 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I
Driver..out of curiosity, what area are you affiliated with rescue?

I volunteer in the area of a shelter that sees the returned dogs and the unsuccessful adoption dogs get turned in. I see the shelter staff behind the scenes and I know that they will make arrangements with people to adopt or foster that are in the best interests of the animal, not just "by the rules". That's why I think it is worth just asking.

I don't think it's right to advocate lying when no one even knows if that's necessary.

Chris21711
September 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hence my suggestion to have a friend make that phone call. ;)

A bunch of suggestions to lie to a shelter in order to get a dog? I just can't agree unless other more honest avenues have been tried. Do you know for a fact that rules cannot be bent? I bet a good source of info on that would be your own vet - that would be a safe person to ask too. :)

Of course none of us know that rules cannot be bent, not even yourself...my daughter worked for the OSPCA shelter for 5 years, 2 of that in adoptions, she still works for the OSPCA...you volunteer there driver8, ask a vet about what?

Getting somebody else to call is a lie in itself

Chris21711
September 26th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I don't think it's right to advocate lying when no one even knows if that's necessary.

It's called being on the safe side.....please don't forget we are talking about bendyfoot.

driver8
September 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Of course none of us know that rules cannot be bent, not even yourself...my daughter worked for the OSPCA shelter for 5 years, 2 of that in adoptions, she still works for the OSPCA...you volunteer there driver8, ask a vet about what?

Getting somebody else to call is a lie in itself

Uh, ask your own vet clinic staff if they know people who did the adoption process a bit differently from that shelter. People who work at vet clinics are often "in the know" about how things like this work. Especially the techs, I've found.

Getting somebody else to ask If _____ is possible and expressing concerns about the intro process at the shelter is not a lie. It's a lie if your friend says they want to adopt this dog, but you don't have to say that just to ask a question do you.

The people who work at a shelter care about animals and want the best for them just as much as bendyfoot does. :2cents:

bendyfoot
September 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I could try to call under the guise of getting "general" information on the adoption process and find out if they would consider any alternatives, but I'm pretty sure there are none.

As for my vet...I live about 75 kms away from this particular HS and my vet would have no reason to have regular contact with them, it's not even in the same district :shrug:

All I know is that this little mite has had "adoption pending" next to her photo twice, only to have it removed later. The kennel staff member said she's being overlooked because a) not socialized b) not housetrained and c) (and most awfully) because she has no teeth :frustrated: We are very good at taking the dogs that no one else wants because they're too much work. She's been in the shelter for two months, is that not long enough?:(

driver8
September 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Too long. :(

Good luck in getting to adopt her, however you choose to go about it. She'll be lucky to have you.

bendyfoot
September 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I just want to give her a chance. There's ALWAYS a risk that an adoption won't work, even if an initial intro goes swimmingly. But we're people who are willing to tough it out for the long haul, unless it becomes apparent that the situation is completely not in the animal's best interest in the long term.

luckypenny
September 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Bendyfoot, I have no doubt that if the person(s) responsible for adoptions meets and listens to you and dw, they would feel confident that your home would be a wonderful match for TeeDee. Tell them all about your furbabies and everything you have done, and continue to do, for them. Bring before and after photos along and bring a referral from your vet. In addition, make them aware of your concerns about the "meeting pen" and propose having your guys meet TeeDee at your home. Be prepared and patient, but be persistent. If you must, I'd only bring Jaida on a second visit; you should reserve the first visit for meeting TeeDee and for speaking to the staff. I just read her profile and your family sounds exactly like what they are looking for.

All I know is that this little mite has had "adoption pending" next to her photo twice, only to have it removed later. The kennel staff member said she's being overlooked because a) not socialized b) not housetrained and c) (and most awfully) because she has no teeth :frustrated: We are very good at taking the dogs that no one else wants because they're too much work. She's been in the shelter for two months, is that not long enough?:(

Let them know how you've been following her on their website and for how long. Let them know the research you've already done and the work you'll all be putting into making the perfect home for TeeDee. You can't go wrong, Bendy :goodvibes:.

Frenchy
September 27th, 2010, 08:44 AM
No offense LP but we're talking about a shelter here, not a rescue. Shelter person might not have the time to spend , to "check out" Bendy and her family.

I know of one shelter here who many nice pet owners have been refused , this shelter follow their own rules and do not bend them. They can't go case by case as they simply don't have the time. :shrug:

driver8
September 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Every shelter is different. I find it disturbing that the assumption of many on this site is that the shelter wouldn't make any accomodations and so must lie to shelter to get dog from them. It's almost like "shelter" is something of disdain or something. Many shelters do try hard and will make accomodations and will make that effort. It's worth asking, imo.You don't know that this shelter is one of the ones that don't make any changes ever, but bendyfoot can probably find that out with minimal hassle.

Frenchy
September 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Every shelter is different. I find it disturbing that the assumption of many on this site is that the shelter wouldn't make any accomodations and so must lie to shelter to get dog from them. It's almost like "shelter" is something of disdain or something.

driver8 , you seem to think you're the only one here who knows about shelters. You ain't. I'm in rescue. I've been fostering for many rescues , still am , and I know lots of wonderful people who work in shelters . Our shelters here are full 24/7 , 365 days a year , as I stated before , they don't have time to go case by case. They have to follow their rules.

Golden Girls
September 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Every shelter is different. I find it disturbing that the assumption of many on this site is that the shelter wouldn't make any accomodations and so must lie to shelter to get dog from them. It's almost like "shelter" is something of disdain or something. Many shelters do try hard and will make accomodations and will make that effort. It's worth asking, imo.You don't know that this shelter is one of the ones that don't make any changes ever, but bendyfoot can probably find that out with minimal hassle.Completely agree with you! It's great BF that you want to open your home but on the site it states: "I would rather not" live in a very busy home! It seems they feel an elderly quiet home would best suit her needs :shrug:

It also suggests to go by the shelter and read the very large write-up from TeeDee's foster family.

I understand their requirement is to bring all the family but I'm sure there are exceptions without having to lie. The foster home may even agree to a home visit, can't hurt to ask.

JennieV
September 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Having gone the shelter route before Sparky came into my life, I have to say that no, not many shelters would accomodate or even give the time of day to hear my story. In fact, as soon as you say that you work full-time (:eek: oh, the horror!) and that you have no back yard (:eek::frustrated::frustrated: no, no, you must have a back yard! coz that makes you a perfect dog owner) - you're not acceptable anymore. Sorry, thats the facts. :shrug: Maybe, somewhere there are shelters that are more accomodating, but from my personal experience I was deemed not good enough.

Having said that, Bendy, you should go and find out as much info about this dog as you can, but don't tell them much about yourself, just be vague until you are certain which route you wanna take. If I was in that situation and i was sure I wanted to go for this dog - I would lie through my teeth if I thought there was no other way.
:shrug:

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to help a dog or a cat, even if it means lying and cheating. Bendy, if anyone can help this dog - its you, but i would still go and read on her what her fosters said... It worries me that they would say that, sorta like a warning.. :confused:
Good luck!!! :goodvibes:

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM
You know what, you will never know how well a dog or cat will work out in a family until all the animals have gotten to know each other. Initial intros may not give any indication of future issues.

Also, I do believe that fosters families can give very good insight into a dog/cat's personality, but it depends on the family and their pets. A dog/cat may react very much differently in another family who has the same number of dogs. Some dogs who may take a long time to come out of their shell and end up being so very happy and bonded. I know one puppymill rescue (a horrid place), who took a year to come out of her shell. The HS did not want her adopted to a family with children or other dogs, well guess what, that dog now LOVES other dogs. Took some patience and proper socializing skills.

So Bendy, if I were you, I (with DW) would meet the dog, read what they have to say about it and take it from there. You are an extremely bright person and I think you will know once you meet this pup whether it would be a good fit. The only problem with being totally truthful upfront is you can't take your words back ;). Take it one step at a time. I believe you will make the right decision.

bendyfoot
September 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Many shelters do try hard and will make accomodations and will make that effort. It's worth asking, imo.You don't know that this shelter is one of the ones that don't make any changes ever, but bendyfoot can probably find that out with minimal hassle.

Well, I made some inquiries...

Our shelters here are full 24/7 , 365 days a year , as I stated before , they don't have time to go case by case. They have to follow their rules.

and this was exactly what I was told: "we don't have the staff to allow meetings outside the shelter, and we don't allow trial periods. No exceptions."

Too bad for TeeDee. Or any other dog there for that matter. :(

shirley1011
September 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Ok...time to listen to Chris!!!

ancientgirl
September 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Bendy, lying isn't always the solution. However, it has been my experience that there is always room for a lie when there is a great enough need.

I'm all for lying here. This little one needs a loving home, and you certainly have room to provide that.

If they are as busy as they seem, they likely won't be checking up on you, and if they do you can always say the other dogs belong to friends or are recent rescues.:D

Love4himies
September 27th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Ok...time to listen to Chris!!!

Yup. :thumbs up

Winston
September 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Bendy just wanted to throw this idea out too in case you havent thought about it. If they are the same organization that requires you to license your animals then they will know how many pups you have.

Some people dont get licenses so it wouldnt matter but just in case!

I wish there was a perfect answer but I think you should take one of your pups down there and see how the intro goes. Then after taking each one then maybe bring the whole family??

Good Luck

bendyfoot
September 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Bendy just wanted to throw this idea out too in case you havent thought about it. If they are the same organization that requires you to license your animals then they will know how many pups you have.

Nope, it's our county that does the licensing, this HS is in another district.

I think we're going to just chew on it for a little bit.

cassiek
September 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Best of luck with whatever decision you make. Keep us informed. :)

It's unfortunate so many shelters, humane societies, etc. do not have the resources/labor/time etc. to evaluate adoptions on a case by case basis. I am sure more animals would find their way into loving homes.

I wouldn't have been "allowed" to adopt Diesel based on some of the silly criteria the HS I volunteer at has... fortunately I volunteer there and our adoption coordinator easily turned a blind eye to it :D But unfortunately, the "Rules" are in place not because they are necessarily good indicators of a excellent owner, but because we do not have the facilities, resources, etc. to do things much differently... we certainly turn away many good pet owners. :( However, I truly believe and know for a fact, that if someone came to our adoption coordinator with their story and reasons, she would listen to them. :thumbs up Even though we have "Rules" they have been bent once or twice before :rolleyes:

BenMax
September 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I just skimmed through the thread but here is my take:

Firstly, any animal is set up for failure if put into a pen with others to 'see' if it works out. That is absolutely ridiculous and for anyone who understands animal behaviour - this is just not the right way of doing things.

Ask if you can take the dog for a walk with yours in order to ease them into getting to know each other on neutral ground. I know you know this, but maybe the shelter can accomodate you in this regards.

Another option of course is asking them if you can 'foster with intent to adopt' to make sure that all goes well. If the dog has issues, I really cannot see why they would not consider.

You know, sometimes shelters and rescues have weird criterias, but it never hurts to ask them to give alittle. Worse they can say is no...and if that is what they say then move on. You did the best you could.

Good luck!:thumbs up

rainbow
September 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Such a tough decision for you, Bendy :grouphug: ......I hope all works out for you in the end, whatever you decide to do. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

bendyfoot
September 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Firstly, any animal is set up for failure if put into a pen with others to 'see' if it works out. That is absolutely ridiculous and for anyone who understands animal behaviour - this is just not the right way of doing things.

I think that this is what burns my butt the most.

Ask if you can take the dog for a walk with yours in order to ease them into getting to know each other on neutral ground. I know you know this, but maybe the shelter can accomodate you in this regards.

Another option of course is asking them if you can 'foster with intent to adopt' to make sure that all goes well. If the dog has issues, I really cannot see why they would not consider.

Both of these are a no-go.

You know, sometimes shelters and rescues have weird criterias, but it never hurts to ask them to give alittle. Worse they can say is no...and if that is what they say then move on. You did the best you could.

Good luck!:thumbs up

I think we've moved on...I don't see what choice we have. I just hope I don't have to see her languishing in there for months on end.

bendyfoot
September 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
All's well that ends well. TeeDee was adopted.:thumbs up

Love4himies
September 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM
All's well that ends well. TeeDee was adopted.:thumbs up

That is good news, bendy :thumbs up. no fibbing required.

BenMax
September 29th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Good news.

Just a thought....if you ever want another pupper...you know I am here and I will bend backwards for you dear friend as I know what a great home you would provide. Hey - infact I do have 2 yorkies that may come my way.....interested in fostering?:)

bendyfoot
September 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Oh maaaaaaan, I would LOVE some yorkies, actually...I'll have to talk to DW first, though. How old are they?

BenMax
September 29th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Oh maaaaaaan, I would LOVE some yorkies, actually...I'll have to talk to DW first, though. How old are they?

Waiting to hear all details. I will confirm once I get full history, age etc.:).

You never know Girl. When one door closes, another opens...in this case 2 doors.:laughing: (tiny doors).

bendyfoot
September 29th, 2010, 01:40 PM

DW thinks she doesn't like yorkies :rolleyes:...at leat that's what she's told me in the past...but then she's never lived with any...:D

BenMax
September 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Well Bendyfoot - if you ever need help in finding a great rescue that I network with...I can hook you up. I can arrange for a 'foster with intent to adopt'. This way you will be able to see the dynamics in the household and if it's a good fit. If not, no harm done.

Let me know in the future and know I will help you anyway I can.:thumbs up. You can count on it.

Frenchy
September 29th, 2010, 03:00 PM

DW thinks she doesn't like yorkies :rolleyes:...at leat that's what she's told me in the past...but then she's never lived with any...:D

I used to think the same about small dogs :rolleyes:

bendyfoot
September 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM
She also once said she didn't care for poodles...and then she saw ratty little TeeDee, sooooo...there's hope yet :D (btw, that's an ADORABLE picture!!! :lovestruck:)

BenMax
September 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hey Frenchy...where did that dog come from?:laughing:

bendyfoot
September 29th, 2010, 04:43 PM
:cry2:
DW says "no yorkies" :(

Frenchy
September 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hey Frenchy...where did that dog come from?:laughing:

from hell ! :evil: :mwaha: :laughing:

:cry2:
DW says "no yorkies" :(

you're going all wrong about this , she has to meet one !

we have a say in french : "on veut pas le savoir , on veut le voir !" :p

bendyfoot
September 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM
There's the problem...the only ones she's met are the :evil:, yappy ones next door :wall:

BenMax
September 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Ok Bendy...I currently have the most adorable shih tsu. She is 2 years old, spayed, loves big dogs, little dogs, and cats. Not yappy, almost house trained and the most cuddly little thing you ever saw...

(Just a thought....):D

Frenchy
September 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Bendy Bendy !!!

look at this one , he's up for adoption !! :lovestruck:

BenMax
September 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Who is this Frenchy? What a cutie!!!

Frenchy
September 30th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Who is this Frenchy? What a cutie!!!

I posted about him on my facebook page. Comes from a pound in Asbestos , now at spca emergency shelter (mtl) they said he has been "tossed around". :( Makes me think of Jack.

look how cute he is !!!

BenMax
September 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I posted about him on my facebook page. Comes from a pound in Asbestos , now at spca emergency shelter (mtl) they said he has been "tossed around". :( Makes me think of Jack.

look how cute he is !!!

Oh yes...I know this one Frenchy. I had a rescue take a look to access...

However apparently he is doing much better now. He is cute.

Frenchy
September 30th, 2010, 09:43 AM
However apparently he is doing much better now. He is cute.

But he's still looking for a home. I think Jaida would like a little blond BF. :rolleyes:

BenMax
September 30th, 2010, 09:45 AM
But he's still looking for a home. I think Jaida would like a little blond BF. :rolleyes:

I know. What I meant is that he was distraught in the beginning but they have been working with him since. He is doing great now. I hope he finds a home soon. Regardless, they will not put down as he has potential...but he needs out and into a stable family.

kiara
October 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I know this industry well and have been around for many years. Rescue groups should bend their rules, especially when it comes to animals that would otherwise be considered "unadoptable" and needing a lot of work. This is what this type of industry is known for, that the people running these places want to play God. By all means, lie, give this poor dog a chance. Bless you for wanting to adopt a dog from a bad situation. It really deserves happiness and peaceful, warm surroundings.

Love4himies
October 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I know this industry well and have been around for many years. Rescue groups should bend their rules, especially when it comes to animals that would otherwise be considered "unadoptable" and needing a lot of work. This is what this type of industry is known for, that the people running these places want to play God. By all means, lie, give this poor dog a chance. Bless you for wanting to adopt a dog from a bad situation. It really deserves happiness and peaceful, warm surroundings.

Exaclty, the end result is what is important :thumbs up