Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some pics of the horses, and the new guy

erykah1310
September 25th, 2010, 11:25 AM
While im playing around in my photobucket I figured it was time to update some info about the horses,
I moved them again, this time really close to home (takes me a minute to drive there now)
At the new barn about a month after we were there a new boarder showed up with a horse and it was Fe's baby :D Shes all grown up now and starting her training. I have some pics of her, her new name is Payton.
Also we just purchased a new guy, his name is Jazzy, he's a 17 year old Quarter Horse with old style build ( as apposed to the standardbred look they are breeding towards now)
Enjoy
Miss Fe making funny faces, she is now fully trained and is a wonderful trail mount, she just loves the trails and nothing phases her out there at all.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/Horses/woodland049.jpg

Miss Fe, flexing and showing off her muscles, I roached her mane this spring, and really like how it looks on her, she has the thick neck to pull that look off.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/Horses/woodland034.jpg

Muscle man Jazzy, he does very well in western pleasure showing, and is trained to the 9's for everything western, also a great reliable trail horse
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/Horses/woodland060.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/Horses/woodland061.jpg

Here's Venna ( well now Payton) all grown up
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/Horses/woodland065.jpg

Gonna be built just like her momma thats for sure
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/Horses/woodland067.jpg

And finally Calvin, he is wearing his rain sheet because well... he gave me quite a scare last month, he just started to break down, bad thrush, hives, dropped a LOT of weight and a few other things, he's doing well now, and after having his teeth floated a couple weeks ago, he is picking his weight back up slowly. Also the vet is going to see how he does, but wants to run some thyroid tests if the teeth float doesnt help. He is displaying signs of hyperthyroidism which is quite controversial when it comes to horses
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/Horses/woodland071.jpg

chico2
September 25th, 2010, 11:57 AM
erykah,they are all beautiful,i know zilch about horses,just that they are one of the most beautiful animals on earth:lovestruck:

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Your horses are so darn beautiful :cloud9::lovestruck:. I have always wanted a horse, what a dream that would be.

Dee-O-Gee
September 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Miss Fe has striking eyes! Are they blue or is it just the lighting? :shrug:

Poor Calvin. :( Hope the thyroid tests go well for him.

:sorry: but what does it mean having his teeth floated? :shrug:

JennieV
September 25th, 2010, 08:12 PM
awwww.. what beauties!!! Miss Fe looks great with the new "hairdo", good job!
:D lovely pics of beautiful, majestic animals!:thumbs up

JennieV
September 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
hehe.. Vienna/Payton sticking tongue out! LOL :p

erykah1310
September 25th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Miss Fe has striking eyes! Are they blue or is it just the lighting? :shrug:

Poor Calvin. :( Hope the thyroid tests go well for him.

:sorry: but what does it mean having his teeth floated? :shrug:

Her eyes are both blue yes :lovestruck:

Teeth floating is filing down their teeth so that they will grind evenly, after time they get uneven wear and some horses need this done more so than others. They end up with sharp points that cause ulcers and stuff in their cheecks.
Many different methods of floating, but the vet method involves a DeWalt drill with a metal file at the end of a long pipe that files down their teeth.
:sick:

TeriM
September 25th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I so envy you those gorgeous horses :cloud9:.

Dee-O-Gee
September 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Her eyes are both blue yes :lovestruck:

Teeth floating is filing down their teeth so that they will grind evenly, after time they get uneven wear and some horses need this done more so than others. They end up with sharp points that cause ulcers and stuff in their cheecks.
Many different methods of floating, but the vet method involves a DeWalt drill with a metal file at the end of a long pipe that files down their teeth.
:sick:

Ouch! That sounds painful. :eek: I guess we should be thankful for having a dentist instead of DeWalt drills, metal files and pipes. :D

Good luck with the tests Calvin. :highfive:

rainbow
September 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Your horses are gorgeous. :lovestruck: Miss Fe has always been my favourite ....it must be her beautiful blue eyes. :cloud9:

Good luck with Calvin's tests. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

erykah1310
September 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Ouch! That sounds painful. :eek: I guess we should be thankful for having a dentist instead of DeWalt drills, metal files and pipes. :D

Good luck with the tests Calvin. :highfive:

LOL, never thought of it that way, however he was very VERY sedated for it:rolleyes:
Poor ol boy was jumping in the clouds that day:laughing:

We're hoping that the teeth float will be enough for him to pick up weight and we wont have to worry about his thyroid or diabetes even...
:fingerscr

Dee-O-Gee
September 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
LOL, never thought of it that way, however he was very VERY sedated for it:rolleyes:
Poor ol boy was jumping in the clouds that day:laughing:

My daughter underwent some serious root canals and crowns a while back. The orthodontist pumped her up with some Ativan and man, she could have leaped through the clouds in her drunken stuper! :D

Hope Calvin recovers and pumps up the weight soon. :fingerscr:fingerscr:goodvibes:

BTW... Miss Fe has beautiful eyes. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
September 27th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Good to see Fe again! And what a small world that she was reunited with her foal! Do you think she and Venna...er...Payton recognize each other?

Jazzy is a handsome dude. I was just watching some reining competitions this weekend :D Are you going to compete with him?

:goodvibes: for Calvin's test results! I hope he can ditch his blanket soon. :thumbs up

Goldfields
September 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Erykah1310, unfortunately I can't get all your photo's to download, they are just too big, but gee, interesting how the horse talk differs from your country to mine. Never heard of floating teeth, floating is what we do when we load a horse into a float to take it somewhere. And we get dentists to do teeth, not usually vets. By roaching her mane, do you mean cutting it short? I think that suits horse of most builds, or I've seen it on horses with a lot of different builds and maybe I just like the horses anyway, huh? LOL. We call that hogging the mane here. Oh, when you get your horse's teeth done, do they put a gag on the horse? (The big metal contraption that has plates that fit over their front teeth and can lock their mouth open for the dentist, or vet.)

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM
My goodness they are gorgeous! I love love love horses. I've loved them my whole life. They are just stunning.

erykah1310
September 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Erykah1310, unfortunately I can't get all your photo's to download, they are just too big, but gee, interesting how the horse talk differs from your country to mine. Never heard of floating teeth, floating is what we do when we load a horse into a float to take it somewhere. And we get dentists to do teeth, not usually vets. By roaching her mane, do you mean cutting it short? I think that suits horse of most builds, or I've seen it on horses with a lot of different builds and maybe I just like the horses anyway, huh? LOL. We call that hogging the mane here. Oh, when you get your horse's teeth done, do they put a gag on the horse? (The big metal contraption that has plates that fit over their front teeth and can lock their mouth open for the dentist, or vet.)
Wow, it is different.
We have equine dentists too, just not up here, they're all in the south of the province.
in the north we have to have the vet come and float.
As for moving horses, we call it trailering.
Roaching is shaving the mane right off in a "roached" cut.
And yes they did use the big metal contraption that cranks their mouths opened. It looks so uncomfortable :( but they're so sedated they dont even notice.

erykah1310
September 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Good to see Fe again! And what a small world that she was reunited with her foal! Do you think she and Venna...er...Payton recognize each other?

Jazzy is a handsome dude. I was just watching some reining competitions this weekend :D Are you going to compete with him?

:goodvibes: for Calvin's test results! I hope he can ditch his blanket soon. :thumbs up

I think Fe and Payton recognize each other, they are in different paddocs but they share a fence line and do stand face to face with each other a lot.

Jazzy is a handsome guy, I wont be competing with him at all, he's pretty much just going to be a light riding boy for trails and roads. Might put him in a show or two next spring.

I'm thinking of getting Fe started on cutting, looks like a lot of fun, one of the other girls at the barn wants to get into team penning too so we will see how our horses fair out with cattle:D

Goldfields
September 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Wow, it is different.
We have equine dentists too, just not up here, they're all in the south of the province.
in the north we have to have the vet come and float.
As for moving horses, we call it trailering.
Roaching is shaving the mane right off in a "roached" cut.
And yes they did use the big metal contraption that cranks their mouths opened. It looks so uncomfortable :( but they're so sedated they dont even notice.

Talk of gags reminded me, we loaned ours to someone, I must ring up tomorrow and ask them to return it. That's interesting too that your horses get sedated, erykah1310, ours never do. Mind you, I can think of one incidence where the horse maybe should have been given a general anaesthetic. :D He had to be twitched, he was really not liking having his teeth filed, and I was holding the horse but watching the dentist wash the file outside the stable when I sensed the horse 'reacting', rearing, so stepped back a bit but I had nowhere to go seeing I was next to the wall. Woke up outside the stable, the dentist had dragged me out after the horse, a TB, had struck me right in the middle of the skull, above my forehead. Cut my head of course, knocked me out, :eek: but I was very lucky, I said to the dentist it was probably an accident and he said no, the horse was going to have another go at me, and as it turned out, that horse was missing one horse shoe, fortunately on the hoof he struck me with. Shod he may have killed me. Although he was an all round crazy mixed up horse, (he was eventually put down after seriously hurting two other people) I do think having horse's teeth done is one of the more dangerous jobs seeing you also need to avoid them swinging the head and hitting you with the gag. Kudos to your guys for having the sense to sedate them.
Re trailering, your trailers are our floats. :) I did Google roaching and it's the equivalent to the English(and Australian) term, hogging the mane. We'd probably find a lot of other little differences if we talked horses more. Am I imagining it or could your Fe be an overo? I can only see one side of her.

erykah1310
September 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM
On her one side yes she has the illusion of being an Overo, however she is solid on the opposite side. Shes one of those fun horses that can be a paint or a QH/Draft cross on the flip side :p

Do you shoe horses there regularly? I am pretty big on natural hooves and since we dont do any heavy work and very little road/rock riding we have "naked" feet.
My Hanoverian Calvin had his fronts shod up until I got him, its been a year now and he is toughening up and is less sensitive. Its a long process to get them good barefoot after being shod their whole lives.
The only reason he was shod was because he was used at a school barn for jumping.

Goldfields
September 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Aah well, her markings make her interesting. I was just curious seeing I fluked breeding a crop out overo Welsh Mountain foal once.

Way back when we were showing horses, the hackney would be shod with special heavy shoes designed to make him lift, and my pony stallion was shod seeing I did road work with him . My hacks when I was young were shod because there are no trails as such here, so again it was road work, but the two ponies we have left now have probably not been shod in their lives. I know my stallion hasn't, and assume the mare, being unbroken, hasn't either. I've had him from weaning, her for just the past 10 years . My husband had the hackney's shoes made by his brother in law, who was a farrier, but he shod all our horses himself. Very nice indeed not having to pay to get a farrier here but he's past doing that now, so we do get them trimmed by a farrier nowadays. There's a guy here who calls himself a barefoot farrier, or some such thing, however when I asked him to come do ours, he was okay until I mentioned the word stallion. :D He never did turn up even though I assured him that Digby is as quiet as a kid's pony.(Well .... almost.) We reckon he shouldn't be working with horses if he's scared of them.

That horse I mentioned that clobbered me, he was a racehorse - mad as a cut snake - when I was working on a stud/agistment property many years ago.

erykah1310
October 1st, 2010, 07:47 PM
There are 3 studs at the barn I board at now, all of them are amazing. A lot depends on how much work is done with them.
I find them easier to be around than my mare when she is in heat lol (she can be quite the beast)
Hackneys are beautiful, do you have any pictures to share? this thread has pretty much turned into our personal convo thread :D

Love4himies
October 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
There are 3 studs at the barn I board at now, all of them are amazing. A lot depends on how much work is done with them.
I find them easier to be around than my mare when she is in heat lol (she can be quite the beast)
Hackneys are beautiful, do you have any pictures to share? this thread has pretty much turned into our personal convo thread :D

:eek: What do you do with the males when the females are in heat :eek:, won't they do anything to get to the females? Will males fight other males?

erykah1310
October 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
:eek: What do you do with the males when the females are in heat :eek:, won't they do anything to get to the females? Will males fight other males?
The open mares are never in with the studs, mares are in heat all the time pretty much, the studs would fight if there were 2 together and a mare in with them, but right now 2 of the studs are young and are together with a few geldings and the one stud is with his mare.
Fencing for studs is a lot more serious than mare and gelding fencing, this barn has them double fenced and its 6 feet high. Electric on the inside and solid metal as apposed to wood fencing outside of that. The mares and geldings are just in electric.
However, studs can be ridden with mares in heat with no problems if they are well trained horses, you just keep the mares a bit behind them.