Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you see in this dog?

Gail P
September 24th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Someone contacted me today about this dog, they want to re home him and someone gave them my name and said that maybe I could help. I don't know all the details yet but these pictures were forwarded to me and lets just say I was surprised when I saw them, he is not at all what I was expecting based on what I was told he is (not saying what yet so as not to influence any opinions). So my question is what do you see in terms of breed(s)?
69386 69387 69388

I haven't seen him, I only got a call about him this evening and then these pictures were sent to me. The guy says he thought he had found him a home but it wasn't a good fit so he's got him back and says he's desperately trying to find a place for him. He didn't tell me why (yet) but I sent him a reply email with a bunch of questions. He has listed him on kijiji with this description:

He is a three year old _______/________ mix
All shots are up to date
Neutered
Very Healthy and Hearty
He is very hard of hearing, He is able to hear some things but very little
He is trained on hand signals
Fully house trained, No mistakes!
Good in the House and also a great out Doors Dog,
Likes to come in to sleep or stay out in Summer and fall
Been on Invisible fence since a pup and works very well with Boundaries
He walks well on a leash
Free to a home that fits
Enjoys Boats
ATVís
Snowmobiles
Open Areaís
Weakness Children
Willie requires a Couple or Single Person to Be Best Friends an a loyal companion
If you think you are a good fit and can offer a good home to Willie please call me at ___-___-____ To arrange a visit

cell
September 25th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Aussie X for sure

Luvmypitgirls
September 25th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I have no guess at his mix, but I wish I could have him, he's gorgeous.:lovestruck:

Frenchy
September 25th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Aussie X for sure

I had no idea when looking at the dog but now that you mentioned it , yep , I also see Aussie mix. :)

Winston
September 25th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Pyranese & Aussie ?? gorgeous regardless....:thumbs up

Gail P
September 25th, 2010, 10:17 AM
So the guy told me husky on the phone (or maybe husky mix?). Then I went to his kijiji ad and he had him listed as husky/collie. In the email I sent I asked if he knew what breeds, how long he's had him, if he saw the parents and most importantly why he wants to re home him and if he has any issues (I listed a few things like chewing, digging, barking, nipping, separation anxiety, thunderphobia etc.) Here is the response I got:

Hello
He needs to be rehomed because he is not a great family dog with kids, he
is for sure my dog or my wife's. when the kids come into the room or on the
scene he goes the other way. He doesn't enjoy the company of my daughter, she get's in his space and he can't handle it.
He is deaf so if the kids come up and shock him he jumps and bolts the other
way, because he is deaf if he is surprised or un sure of a new person he
will give a growl. the growl is low not vicious but a back off and give me
my space.
He really has no concerns listed below, he will dig sometimes but it isn't
a problem that comes to mind, he virtually doesn't bark due to his deaf
status. he will love and take to some people who come to the house or who
look at him, others he will give the growl and not like other dogs, loves or hates. my neighbor has a Sheppard and he loves her, the other neighbor a lab and he doesn't like and will run off the property.
he is best on his own or with other dogs his type size or female.. We have
a Sheppard pup and we are scared he is going to grab the pup and give him a shake
I take him now daily to the office, clients come in he is fine and greets
them, my staff will take him for walks, he sleeps on the deck and at my
desk

i did not know his parents, he came from the coboconk area, your call on
the breed, He does have collie in him but I always thought more Husky,
My feeling are this, he is an awesome dog, we have had him since 6 weeks,
we found out in the figured out in the first month or so after that he was
deaf. We were told to put him down then but we worked with him vigorously, electric fence training, walking, He has turned out to be my buddy and close to my wife. his disability or his breed or both combined he has turned out to be a adult based dog, best without the kids. I have 100 acre lot in lochlin, i take him out there and he is awesome, he will run,
always keep us in his sight, stay at the cabin and sleep outside. My
friends he loves, he will run up and lick their hands and greet them as
best friends
My serious fear and it is starting to play out its that he is so attached to
me, and the other disability and factors that I am going to have no choice
but to put him down, people don't like the fact he is next thing to deaf, I
found a home last week in Beaverton, dropped him off, he looked at the
people and did the growl. they only gave him 20 hrs and said it wasn't
going to work. really think also people get intimidated due to his look
and his mask and eyes. He will put his head down on the floor and really
look at you, that part is kind of of funny but if people don't know him
they again take that the wrong way. I have been seriously working on this
for a month, I am currently taking him to work and the office to get him
away from the house and I can't keep doing that. I will take him virtually
anywhere if someone will give him a chance in the right circumstance.
let me know your thoughts

Can anyone help this dog?

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
He is a beautiful dog :lovestruck::cloud9:.

I do have one comment about what he stated:

He doesn't enjoy the company of my daughter, she get's in his space and he can't handle it.
He is deaf so if the kids come up and shock him he jumps and bolts the other
way, because he is deaf if he is surprised or un sure of a new person he
will give a growl. the growl is low not vicious but a back off and give me
my space.

Of course he is going to be startled, he is deaf :wall: and why aren't they training their daughter to stay away from him :frustrated:

Gail P
September 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Of course he is going to be startled, he is deaf :wall: and why aren't they training their daughter to stay away from him :frustrated:

Exactly! I sent him back another reply and asked seeing as how he's a great dog in a lot of other ways and attached to them if there wasn't a way to make it work, like teaching the kids to be more careful and give him his space. And as for the pup, I also told him that unless the older dog is being vicious about it, may be just teaching him some manners.

But if they're determined to rehome him I'd like to try to help find him a place, I hate the thought of them euthanizing him.

Rgeurts
September 25th, 2010, 12:07 PM
What a beautiful boy he is! The first thought that popped in to my head (because of the coloring on his face, and expression) was Burmese Mountain, but he's very small for that. I guess I could maybe see a bit of Husky, and definitely can see a bit of Aussie. Whatever he is, he has a very stunning face :lovestruck:

rainbow
September 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I don't see Husky but thought Bernese Mountain Dog as well as Setter .....would love to see what his tail looks like.

shirley1011
September 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I almost see Leonberger...but maybe he isn't as big as he looks in the picture......he sure deserves to find a forever home that appreciates him!

JennieV
September 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM
could he be a malamute/aussie? he seems a lil big for either Aussie or Husky, but I've seen big huskies before..
poor guy...:(
they'd rather rehome than teach their daughter properly? :wall: How is it always the dog's fault...?:wall::wall:

JennieV
September 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
also... he is best on his own or with other dogs his type size or female.. We have a Sheppard pup and we are scared he is going to grab the pup and give him a shake I take him now daily to the office, clients come in he is fine and greets them, my staff will take him for walks, he sleeps on the deck and at my
desk
So... he hasn't done virtually anything yet? they THINK he's going to? what happened to supervised intro and ummm so on and so forth? :(
He doesnt sound like he is threatening, people come and go and he is fine with them.. so I dont get it. You know your dog is deaf, make adjustments, teach your freaking kids the right way, warn people that come to your home..

Sparky also doesn't like kids, I am just very careful where kids are concerned, including having him on leash next to me...

its SO not fair!!! :yell::( When will people stop? At least he's trying to find him a home... :rolleyes: