Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spay/neuter program or cheaper options in Edmonton?

chloe_close
September 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
My 10 mo kitten has gone into heat. I fully intend on having her spayed ASAP.
Unfortunately money is a big problem at this time. I am currently unemployed due to health issues and have no income coming in right now.
This will be taken care of within the next month or so but I want to help her before that.

This is the second time she has 'cycled', it first happened about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I know she's uncomfortable, possibly in pain. Does anyone in the area know of any places that offer a discount or a payment option place or is cheaper than most places?

I feel so bad for her and guilty as well, I had planned to get her fixed sooner but due to unforeseeable circumstances that was not possible. I feel like a terrible kitty mom. :(

I'm not even sure where I should start phoning/looking?

Also if anyone knows of a ballpark figure on how much the actual surgery will cost that would be greatly appreciated as well. Maybe I can sell or pawn something if the cost is not too much. I really want to get her feeling better NOW.

Etown_Chick
September 22nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
The spay clinic is probably the cheapest alternative. It's at
Spay Clinic
10575 111 Street Nw, Edmonton, AB T5H 3E8
(780) 426-4221

chloe_close
September 23rd, 2010, 02:11 AM
Thank you Etown_Chick.
I really appreciate the help. I'm sure Baby Kitty does too. Poor little girl.

I will give them a call tomorrow. :fingerscr

Marty11
September 23rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Your local SPCA should offer a cheaper rate, they say they will spay in heat. Don't feel bad my kitty came into heat so fast it surprised me. Keep her in and don't let any cats around her. It does sound painful doesn't it.

Rgeurts
September 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
If you check with the rural offices like Devon, Spruce Grove, Wetaskiwin etc, they have much lower rates than in the city. And more caring vets imo. Spay Clinic can be a bit brutal, read some reviews before you make your decision :)

chloe_close
September 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Thank you all so very much for all your help.

Keep her in and don't let any cats around her. It does sound painful doesn't it.

She is a completely indoor kitty and I live in an apartment so she has no chance to escape. Her only other 'friend' is my little dog Gracie. I appreciate the thoughts though. :)
And yes, she seems like she's in agony. :(
She does seem quieter today, I put a heating pad and one of my old shirts down for her, she's been lying fairly quietly on it mostly. It's probably not really helping but in my mind at least I feel I'm able to do something for her.

I did phone the Spay Clinic first and they said it was $75 down at the time I make the appointment and $155 for the surgery itself. Plus extra if she is in heat/pregnant, etc.

Spay Clinic can be a bit brutal, read some reviews before you make your decision

Can you be more specific or let me know where to find reviews? I guess I don't really need to know (just being snoopy) as it will not pertain to me personally because:

I phoned the SPCA, they do NOT have a surgeon on site, however they DO have a wonderful program called PAL (Prevent A Litter) for low income families (you must have proof of this) that want to adopt or just have their own animal spayed but don't have the funds for the large cost of the surgery/vaccinations/etc.

For $50 dollars I fill out an application form and provide my proof of low income. If you qualify... which after I explained my circumstances, she assured me that I definitely will... they then set you up with a participating vet close to where you live. Also if you don't qualify they will refund you the $50.
The $50 will also include any vaccinations needed (she doesn't) and a microchip, no extra costs for anything.
So that definitely seems the way to go. I will likely be able to do this next week. YAY!!! By then this cycle should be done, so the risks should be lower as well.

I'm amazed that such a great program exists, and feel very lucky that I will be able to utilize it. I wish more people knew about this program. I have donated money to the SPCA in the past and definitely plan to donate again once I am back on my feet.

I shared all this extra info with you guys in case someone else can benefit from my experience.

Again, I really appreciate all the help and info, I truly did not have a clue where to start. THANK YOU!!! :)

Etown_Chick
September 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
chloe
I didn't know about the humane society program! That sounds sweet. Glad you called and also that you let us know about it. THat sounds like the way to go.

chloe_close
September 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I know! It IS an amazing program, I just wish more people knew about it.

Marty11
September 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM
It gets better than that. In Ontario it doesn't not matter about income. They want to spay/neuter anything....