Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 puppy walking questions

Jumajum
September 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
I have two questions.

Firstly, am I walking my pups too much?
I have a pair of Pointer Cross puppies, the daughters of sled dogs. I got them at 9 weeks and within the first few days, they were cool with being collared and leashed :thumbs upand we started going for walks around the block. We’re now at 13 weeks and they’re doing about 1 to 1 ˝ hour of walking a day each. I take each out separately for 15 minutes for their post breakfast walk and again at lunch on a 6 foot leash. Then after dinner we all go out for about an hour or so. They’re on a 10 foot training line which is attached a shoulder sling. It gives them a chance to explore but not get out of reach. They stay close (within 2 strides) 80% of the time. There is a little bit of walking on pavement but most of it is on trails or on wide open fields. Usually afterwards they’ll play for a bit in the yard. They still have enough steam to puppy fight for a good spell once inside before flopping onto someone’s lap or foot or their bed for a nap :sleepy:.

I mentioned this to a neighbour and he said that I’m exercising them too much and that it’s bad for their bones and muscles to be stressed out so much, which makes sense. He informed me of the 5 minutes per month rule twice a day exercising rule :confused:.
I’m thinking that since they’re walking mostly on softer ground it is less impact. We don’t really run except for a short game of ‘come and catch me’. We’re not walking non-stop, they make sure to gather all the gossip at all the sniffing posts they find.

I’ve never had puppies this young before. Most of my dogs have either been adult or older puppy (5-6 month) when I got them.

Secondly, should I be walking them together at all? They seem fine to walk together. There is the odd puppy fight that breaks out but they soon get things sorted out and we’re back on the trail. However, I’ve been hearing that I shouldn’t be walking them together at all.

Any advice? At don't want to be harming my girls especially at this stage but at the same time they seem to enjoy it.

Thanks in advance!

mikischo
September 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hi, I am just bringing your question back to the top so it doesn't get overlooked.

There are many more dog savvy people who can answer your questions better than I, but to start things off, in regards to your first question I have heard of the 5 minute rule, but I think it might apply more to walking on hard surfaces like pavement. Here is a thread where it was discussed previously on this forum:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69000&highlight=minutes+month+walking+puppies

I'm sure others will be on shortly to give you some better feedback.

JennieV
September 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I am not sure, but it seems to me like a lot of walking. Having said that, I think I am still to hear about a dog that was harmed due to walking... I am sure others will comment shortly, but if you are worried - reduce the time for a while, then gradually increase it.
Also, why would there be any problem of walking together? :shrug: I have no doubt that it is beneficial to both your babies..!
:shrug:

TeriM
September 25th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I would be sticking to walks no more that about a half hour long at this age. Puppies have tons of energy but the reason for the rule is that walking/running in straight lines puts stress on those joints because it is a repetitive motion. Puppies can play endlessly without harm because the motions are varied and therefore do not stress any one particular joint or area.

I would also recommend walking together sometimes and apart others. The puppies are littermates so will have a natural dependency on each other so you want to be sure to walk them without each other so that they learn to look to you for guidance and confidence. You also want them used to being apart so there isn't problems when they need to be seperated for vet visits and/or other real life situations.

Good luck :goodvibes:.