Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New additions.

Goldfields
September 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM
This is what has been keeping me busy lately, orphaned triplets. Oh, as well as floods, ewes with lambing problems, the non-stop work in the garden seeing we are having a bumper Spring. I only have a few sheep and so far we have 3 sets of twins, these triplets, plus a single lamb from a young ewe. I have a feeling the next one to lamb may be carrying twins. The shelties are loving the fact that they can be genuine sheepdogs for a while. :D

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM
Oh, they're darling!! :lovestruck: I love how the dogs are right at face level with them! :D

Frenchy
September 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM
omg they're adorable ! :lovestruck: :cloud9:

luckypenny
September 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM
Omd, it must be so hectic there :eek:! Do you need any help??? I can get on a plane first thing in the morning :D.

Your lambs are too precious :cloud9: :lovestruck:.

Goldfields
September 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
I like it better when they have a mum, like Baa-bie's babies here, but sadly we lost two ewes this year. Couldn't save the lamb(s) from one of them. :( The middle photo here is Shadow with her twins plus one, she's very good at babysitting other ewe's lambs. LOL. The third photo is a favorite, with Baa-bie and her twins snoozing in the morning sun.

Goldfields
September 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM
LP, I'd love some help, thanks. LOL. Ian can't do much as he needs a hip replacement op.. I stable the ewes with lambs at night to keep them safe from foxes, so by the time I prepare 4 beds, refresh their water, give them pellets and hay, then sometimes have to catch lambs to help lure ewes into the stable, I am bushed. I have 4 without lambs wanting to come in too you see, it's bedlam, without having to make sure that the right lamb(s) are with the right ewe. :) The orphans are out during the day, inside in a puppy pen at night, so that involves a lot of paper changing. They'll be out permanently soon. Biggest time wasters ever, next to cute puppies.

Frenchy
September 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
I can get on a plane first thing in the morning :D.

bring me back all the Kelpies will ya ? :cloud9:

the gang
September 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:cloud9: so sweet, brenda and the pins

Dee-O-Gee
September 21st, 2010, 11:03 PM
OMD! The lamies are so beautiful, fluffy white Goldfields.

Are you entering your spring season now? Is it wet or cool? :shrug:

Interesting facts with the different climates as we are approaching fall with cooler temps and leaves changing.

lindapalm
September 21st, 2010, 11:09 PM
The babies are adorable, so snowy white. The Shelties must be in their glory and having a ball.

TeriM
September 22nd, 2010, 01:58 AM
Awwwww, those lambs are just way to adorable :cloud9:.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2010, 02:00 AM
Awwwwwwww, they are just too cute. :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck:

Goldfields
September 22nd, 2010, 05:41 AM
It's getting complicated. :D I put my old mare back in her old stable seeing the yard there had dried out, thinking I could put my orphan lambs into the stable I'd emptied. HA! This is what happened next, another new arrival this evening. This was not the next ewe I thought would lamb, indeed I wasn't 100% she was in lamb, yet she had a decent sized ewe lamb, so go figure. :shrug:

klm, yes, it's Spring here and so far it's been cold and wet. This was our stable paddock (in the background) during the recent floods.(below) The sheep are lying up on top of high dam banks. I stopped a farmer driving slowly through the floodwater over the road to ask if he'd help me get the mother of those orphan lambs up onto her feet - too heavy for me - so I could put her into a shed, and after he'd helped he told me that he had at least 40 just like her in his paddocks, they'd lie down in the wet, be unable to get up, very heavy in lamb and succumb to twin lamb disease(pregnancy toxaemia). He had dead lambs everywhere, and that's apart from sheep swept away by the floods. One farmer shifted some to high ground, came back to get the other 400 and they were gone. The guy who helps with all my sheep work had water 4 feet deep from his sheds right down to the creek a mile away, he was lucky his sheep found high ground to stand on. This was all from 2 inches of rain here where we are, but 4 or 5 inches in the catchment areas. We are due for a warmer, drier spell for maybe a week or fortnight now, thank heaven.

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Oh they are just adorable :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:, but poor you :grouphug::grouphug:. Oh it must be so sad for the farmers :( :rip: sheep :(

Are you in New Zealand or Australia?

Goldfields
September 22nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm in Australia, Love4himies. A friend in NZ didn't get a single live lamb though. I didn't want to ask what happened, he does things differently to us and if it had anything to do with farming practices then he'd be pretty disappointed. Another friend up north was losing her lambs to foxes, so it's never easy. Those that survive could be very short of feed later on seeing they predict the worst locust plague here in 75 years. I've already found baby locusts when I was mowing grass, yet they hoped they wouldn't hatch before mid October in this area. :(

Tundra_Queen
September 23rd, 2010, 01:02 AM
The lambs are so cute and I love their little pink noses and the inside of the ears.

Sorry to hear about the flooding and the poor sheep losing thier lives and getting sick. that is so sad. I hope the locust are not as bad as what they have prdicted. Too bad u couldn't import some big toads to eat them.

Goldfields
September 23rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
More drama tonight, another lamb born to a maiden ewe who decided that, although she knew it was hers, she was NOT going to let it feed! She kept butting it away. Fortunately I only had to tie her to the stable wall using a calf collar and lead twice, guiding the little ewe lamb to a teat, before she woke up to herself. Hope they'll be fine now.

Tundra_Queen, our government set aside 43 million dollars to fight this locust plague, just to give you some idea of what they expect. If farmers don't work darn hard in the week following the hatching, before they fly, crop losses could amount to billions of dollars. I expect my garden to be gone in a flash if they arrive here. Our place is smack bang in the middle of one of the areas they think will be worst effected. Nothing I can do about it, I just have to wait like everyone else. :(