Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SPCA Spay/Neuter Clinic in Newmarket

LauraK
September 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hello!

I am just wondering if anyone here has had pets fixed at the SPCA Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic in Newmarket and if they were happy with their experience?

I have a wonderful vet who spays/neuters cheaply for me and I will continue to use her for my own cats/kittens but I've become known as "the crazy cat lady" to a few barns/racehorse training centres in the area (where cats tend to collect and reproduce quickly) after helping to re-home a bunch of kittens and cats this summer and am continuing to get calls from barns who have kittens that needs homes. The $50 spay is looking pretty good right now, especially when they're not my cats (and I am a full-time student!). It breaks my heart to see these poor young things have litter after litter so while I can't take them all in, people at these barns are willing to feed them (and even chip in for vaccines/deworming/spays) so I figure at least I can help break the cycle.

So if anyone has any opinions or insight on this clinic, please let me know!

Thanks so much!

aslan
September 21st, 2010, 07:47 PM
hey LauraK,,,i had my big boy Quincy snipped at the clinic in newmarket,,,I have nothing but good things to say with the experience,,i had to drop him off by 8am i think it was and had to pick him up by six..he was still abit woozy but was good to go,,he had no pain problems,,no incision issues,,all went well..Only thing i would suggest is go in in person,,explain the situation and see if they can help you out with scheduling..they usually have a lengthy wait list.

14+kitties
September 22nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Have you thought about getting in touch with Toronto Cat Rescue and becoming one of their trappers? They are always desperately in need of people to help in any way they can. They do not charge their trappers for t/n/r so your cost would be the cost of getting them to the vet and picked up again. May be worth your while. :fingerscr

http://www.torontocatrescue.ca/store/index.asp

LauraK
September 23rd, 2010, 01:07 AM
Aslan - thanks for your input! I figured they would have a long wait-list - good idea getting in touch with them first to see if we can work something out. I'll just book the whole day and bring a car-load! ;)

14+kitties - I didn't know that about TCR. I would love to help them out and if one of the perks was free spays/neuters, I'd be more than happy to help trap and drive to and from the vets! Thanks so much for the suggestion, I will definitely look into it. :)

Marty11
September 23rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Had my kitty done in Newmarket, no problems at all. As well when I had concerns they called me right back and addressed it right away. Very nice people to deal with.