Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about my own cat and one feral cat

mysti1958
September 19th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I have a few things to talk about and ask members here.
First one... my cat and treats. When I leave the house in the morning I leave him a few treats (temptations,Friskies party mix) in several places so he has to go from place to place. That is about 15 treats in all. Then a few times he gets up on the coffee table where his treats are in a clear covered jar and kind of taps me on the shoulder (if I am on the computer) or the leg (if i am sitting on the couch). So in all he might get closer to 30 pieces of treats a day. Do members here think that is to much for him ? He is not fat and he plays continually all day long .
Now today when I had Teddy outside he caught a small mole. I have to admit when he has caught something (remember he is on a leash with me on the other end) in the past I made him let it go (moles, chipmunks). This time I just let him do what he wanted. He killed it quickly and then brought it to me ( as a present). Of course then he took it back and proceded to play with it, throwing it around like he does his toys. Is it alright to allow him to play with a animal he has killed for a few minutes ? He showed no interest in eating it just wanted to play with it.
I have a feral cat who comes along most nights to get some food and once in a while he is sitting out on the patio in the morning looking for a meal. I feed him cheaper cat food with a bit of wet food that Teddy doesn't like at the time. Should people feed wild cats? I was thinking when winter comes if he is still around I would build a small sort of dog house type thing for him to stay in in the cold weather. Am I taking this to far ? I have a friend who traps wild cats and takes them to the vet to be fixed and lets them go again. I can't afford to do that but can't stop feeding this beautiful cat either. :)

Thanks for your opinions. Have a great Sunday everyone
Mysti

Love4himies
September 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
If your kitty is not overweight, then I wouldn't worry about it unless it is getting in the way of him eating enough of a quality canned diet.

As for the mole, Jasper goes outside and catches mice all the time. He doesn't always kill them promptly so DH has to stand guard to finish off the job. Many times with prey that small, a cat will do enough damage on the initial catch that the poor thing would only die a slow death if you let it go :(.

Please feed the feral, there may not be enough food around to keep him going :angel: :grouphug:. Are you sure he isn't neutered? Do you think your friend could trap and neuter if you can't? Perhaps you can pay her off over time?

14+ has some great ideas for winter shelters, that don't cost too much, perhaps you can give her a quick PM.

14+kitties
September 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks L4. :grouphug:
This is one of my absolute favourite sites for giving instructions on how to build a cost effective cat shelter. One thing I would change because of our wicked winters is the insulation. Home Depot has a great one that is green on one side, silver on the other. It is wonderful for keeping the shelters warmer.

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_FERAL_CAT_WINTER_SHELTER

I am running late for work.:eek: Will finish this later!

mysti1958
September 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Thank you LH and +14 for your knowledge and suggestions. Will be looking a the link you included +14.
I will continue to feed the outdoor cat. I have no idea if he is neutered. My cat sees him through a screen door and just prrrrrrs at him or gets excited that another cat is around. If they meet outside he just wants to go play with him or run him off. So I have no idea if the outside cat is male or fixed or maybe a female. I can only get within 4 feet of this cat. For now.
Take care
Mysti

Love4himies
September 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Then bring him in your house :lightbulb:, your kitty will have a buddy :cloud9:

14+kitties
September 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM
One thing I would caution you about if your kitty is catching mice. Please make sure he is given worm meds on a regular basis. Mice/moles/voles carry fleas which transfer to your kitty which cause worms. Should he decide to eat one one day he will definitely need worm meds.
Are you by chance in the TO area? I can't remember if you said you were in other threads or not. Does your friend trap for an rescue or on her own? If she traps through a rescue then she is not paying to have the cats fixed and should have no problems helping you trap this fella/girl.
Is the cat truly a feral or maybe a stray that has been on his own too long? It is really hard to tell. If he lets you within four feet that's a great start! :thumbs up Hopefully you can work up to getting him in the house by the time the weather is freezing. L4 has such great ideas!!
If possible keep the outside kitty on wet food for as long as you can. Even the cheaper Friskies is better than a diet of dry food. That would add an additional $4.00 to your weekly budget. Not bad to save a life.
Thank you for feeding him and for being such a good kitty mom and taking your fella out on a leash. :highfive:

mysti1958
September 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
He did catch a mole, but he only played with it (after he killed it) for about 20 minutes then he hid it in a hole lol. This morning I checked and it was gone, we do have a few coons around at night.
He gets the Advantage Multi 18 for cats every month from June till November along with what shots he needs.
I am about 45 minutes west of Toronto. My friend traps the feral cats for her own piece of mind. She has a feeding station set up too. Between her and her sister they have gotten around 7 cats fixed in the last 2 or 3 years.
I was giving the outside cat dry food only but now he gets Teddys leftovers . Because Teddy, being spoiled as he is, usually only eats half of a can of cat food and wants another kind of food. Teddy has gone from wanting Fancy Feast to liking Science Diet wet food. Which , to me, looks more apetizing as some of those cat foods when you get past the gravy seem to look like cardboard "yuck"lol. So the outside cat gets some wet and some dry food.
I can get within 4 feet and the outside cat takes off. Stands farther away from me and sort of meows sort of hisses at me. As soon as I go back towards the door he comes for the food. But he seems to like me to talk to him. So hopefully we can make friends.
I have looked at that site to make a little home for him for winter. Really wont' cost that much and if it keeps him warm in the cold cold weather we can get here that is good. I am not sure Teddy would do real well with another cat in the house but if it comes to it I will bring the other one in.
No need to thank me for feeding the outside cat , who I call Baby for some unknown reason, I am happy to do it.
Have a good night
Mysti

Jim Hall
September 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM
sit down bout a meter and a half away and turn away.. after a few of those start to look and talk to him from the same distance

Love4himies
September 21st, 2010, 07:17 AM
Awwww, Mysti :grouphug:. It sounds like he is not too feral and at one point was somebody's kitty. What does Baby do when he sees your kitty inside? If he is not charging at the door to get to your kitty, they just may get along inside;). It helps when the resident kitty is so welcoming :angel: :cloud9:

Cats will bury their uneaten prey and come back to it later so I wouldn't be surprised if Baby did come back for the mole.

When Baby hisses at you, it means he is scared of you and the meow is thank you :grouphug: