Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

skinny boxer

snewf10
September 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
We have 3 yr old boxer who doesn't seem to gain weight. He is about 55 lbs & is on a raw diet. He is fed 2lbs of mountain dog food a day with digestive emezines (not sure of spelling), slippery elm, kelp & oil added. His poop is also big. Any suggestions? He has been tested for parasites & pancrease problems. No problems there. He also seems to be hungry all the time. Will grab grass whenever he can on our walks especially after someone has mowed their lawn.

LavenderRott
September 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Boxers are medium size dogs so the weight doesn't sound that bad.

Can you feel ribs or see them? On a dog of healthy weight, you should be able to feel the ribs without digging your fingers through a layer of fat.

snewf10
September 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Yes, we can see his ribs.

snewf10
September 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
and 2lbs of raw food is normally fed to a dog who weighs around 80 lbs. Our border collie who is around the same weight, 55 lbs, only eats 16oz of raw food per day & his poops are like rabbit pellets.

bendyfoot
September 21st, 2010, 09:06 AM
Our german shepherd is usually around 55-60 lbs, and that's only if we stuff her with food. 2-3 lbs/day will maintain her at a very lean body condition (fairly ribby). If you've ruled out medical conditions (have you had a full blood workup done?), your dog may just be a "hard keeper".

Marty11
September 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
My two dogs have a more than healthy weight and they chow down the grass clipping after a mow too.

erykah1310
September 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Do you feed him one meal or two or more split up through the day?
Our dogs display hungry behavior when only fed their daily raw in one meal.
I dont think it would hurt to increse the food intake a bit, thats the beauty of raw.
Some dogs metabolize faster, our "boxer mix" Elmo is eating more than Kita our rottie boxer mix and Elmo is maybe 30 lbs where Kita is a rock solid 100. Kita is quite older though where Elmo is off the walls borderline ADHD

cassiek
September 21st, 2010, 06:44 PM
and 2lbs of raw food is normally fed to a dog who weighs around 80 lbs. Our border collie who is around the same weight, 55 lbs, only eats 16oz of raw food per day & his poops are like rabbit pellets.

I think if you have ruled out any medical concerns, not to be worried. I have 2 boxers and I find with this breed it is a very thin line between them being "skinny" and "fat". My female especially is bad... if I notice she is chunking up, I decrease her food by a tiny amount and very quickly she is looking too thin i.e. ribs sticking out etc. I find it difficult to keep her at a perfect weight. Personally, if I have to choose, I prefer my dogs to be more on the slim side then overweight, its so hard on them to be carrying extra lbs. Maybe your boxer is just one of the thinner ones? Is he quite tall? My Brynn is fairly muscular weighing 45 lbs but she is also quite short, whereas Diesel is very tall and lanky and only weighs 62 lbs although he's a solid 6" taller than her!

Is your pup still pretty active? My female is also 3 years old and with all the playtime she has with her new buddy and the summertime, I find I have to increase her food as she is more active than in the winter.

I feed my dogs half raw and half kibble and they always act like they are starved when it comes to their supper (the raw). I don't think your dog eating grass means he is hungry, all my dogs seem to do that on a semi-regular basis.

Would love to see pics of your pup! :thumbs up