Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Caring for my dogs incision.

sld21
September 18th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hi! My dog was recently spayed and I have some concerns. Over the stitches are think dark brown scabs. I read from one site to soak it with a warm cloth then try to clean the scabs off and then apply benadine. Now if it were normal bloody scabs I would just leave it alone but I think it is dried discharge mixed with a little blood. Its not oozing anymore but I am wondering If I should clean it off in before I put the benadine on it. I cleaned some off that had dried town the side of her belly and it was not like crusty scabs it was really gooey when I got it wet, like half dries glue, thats the only way I can think to decribe it. Now is this going to make it harder to heal if I dont remove it ? Should I just leave it alone and put the benadine on top?? Help would be appreciated.

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
It would be a really good idea to phone your vets office and ask their opinion. Personally, I would leave it alone. But vets have far more experience in wound recovery than I. Especially if you think it's infection.

skyeonphyre
September 18th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Most vets offer a follow up consult for free of charge. I personally used sterile equipment from the hospital as I am a nurse, otherwise I wouldnt have touched my babies incision. I wouldnt touch it, pick it, clean it... if it oozes, swells up, feels warm, you see streaks coming from it, reddness then go straight to the vet!
Good luck

hazelrunpack
September 19th, 2010, 09:46 AM
How long ago was your dog spayed? It does sound like something you should at least touch bases with the vet about before trying to clean it up or treat it any further.

kathryn
September 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Doing anything without consulting your veterinarian is a bad idea. I have worked for/with or volunteered for/with many different organizations, animal hospitals, spay/neuter clinics etc, and all of our post operative instructions are the same -NEVER mess with the incision. Doing so can cause serious harm and often times once you start messing with it and something happens, vet offices don't appreciate that and will charge you full price for everything vs. for free or for a significant discount. That's just from my personal experiences though.

My advice would be to call your vet up right away. What you did would be equivalent to if you had a bad cut that was healing over and you ripped the scab off it - not good. You could easily accidentally open the incision back up and cause a major infection. Scabs are the bodies way of healing a wound.

Discharge is actually relatively uncommon, either from the incision or from the vulva. If it's green and smell's gross- that's an infection. Mixed with blood? Could be a sign that she was in heat at the time of surgery. Clear liquid? Could be a seroma. All of which can be properly diagnosed from your veterinarian :)

nicolemc
September 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
using a clean face cloth soak with warm water as a warm compress to the site to loosen the currently scabs is fine. once the site is clean again, keep it clean and dry and warm compress it once a day.
be sure she isn't able to lick at it and if it starts to (or already is) looking angry, I'd pop her in to your family vet as she may have a small infection starting. They can also give you (if they think it's appropriate) a gentle cleaning soap for the wound.