Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First time cat owner - is he trying to kill me or play with me?

fernian
September 16th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hi I am 22 and actually have never owned a pet (parents). My roomie brought up her cat for the year and he's pretty nice and very playful. He is only about 1 year old. My question is this: he usually plays with his toys, but sometimes he "plays" with my hand/arm. By play I mean biting the crap out of it, although I really doubt he is biting hard. It's very tolerable for me but I'm not sure if he is like, mad at my arm and trying to kill it or just having fun. I watch his ears and they are typically upright, but every now and then they go back. He gets really aggressive on it. Today he went pretty wild using his feet as well.. I don't know what he was trying to accomplish but he was really aggressive, although he stopped when I got up and left.

Any thoughts?

Longblades
September 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
LOL, IMO it sounds like play and I have usually found the boys to be rougher than the girls. I do not allow rough play like that with me. It hurts and cat bites can be very, very dangerous. We just learned that a distant relative was extremely, seriously ill this summer from a cat bite.

I think if he was really mad at you you'd be hurting. But they can get carried away when they play.

I substitute a toy and let them go at it. Something like a teddybear that's big enough for them to grab with their front feet/claws and dig with the hind feet. Or mine like a roll of carpet.

Play with me will be chasing a string or a paper ball. Or I'll poke a stick under the carpet roll and entice them to jump on top or through the roll. I love to see them play in a paper bag where I can rustle the stick on the outside and they try to get it from the inside.

fernian
September 16th, 2010, 10:49 PM
sweet okay, thanks for the advice.

driver8
September 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I use an old mitten to play-fight with my 5-month old kitten. He now seems to know to be gentle unless the mitten is on, and he will wrestle the mitten on the ground even when I'm not wearing it. Giving him something else to direct that amount of energy at really helped.

If you stop playing when he bites, he'll catch on too. When a bite means the end of play-time, they learn not to do it.

Here's a fun link on how to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you: :p
http://www.catswhothrowupgrass.com/kill.php

Ozzie
September 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
When Smokey was a kitten , he played very rough. He was a stray .
When he used his claws or fangs too aggressively I would stop playing but keep my hand still and say OWIE. If he still was too rough I would keep still but say OWIE louder, then LOUDER. He got the message.:)

14+kitties
September 17th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Sounds like roomie's cat needs a playmate. :thumbs up