Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog chewed off his nails!

Shanes Mom
September 16th, 2010, 04:51 PM
A month and a half ago we brought home a 10month old lab mix puppy. We've had no problems really until this past week. I started working full time so now we have to leave him home all day on his own. He's been getting into things so we put him outside, we have a huge patio area. I came home today to find him curled up in the corner, covered in blood! There were bloody marks all over the wall. Upon closer inspection I found that he had chewed off his nails on both of his back paws. They are down to the skin, the quick I think you call it is showing. Its quite a bloody mess, literally! I feel so bad for him, I don't know what to do? He seems to be in good spirits considering but I'm so worried that it could cause major problems and that he'll get infected badly.
Any suggestions on what I can do for him? He's not limping but you can tell he's in a bit of pain.
Has anyone else had this happen with their dog? Any suggestions on how we can help him?:pray:

the gang
September 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
get him to the vet, he will needs some meds and than go get a second hand crate, put him in it after a walk with a cong and leave t v or radio on, you could also get a dog walker or a neighbour to come in at lunch time, good luck brenda and the pins.

chico2
September 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I think the first thing you can do,is take him to a vet,the vet will have something to put on his nails so the quick does not hurt as much.

As for leaving him alone all day,most people have to work,so if you leave him something to keep him busy,like a Kong with treats,if you have those in Malta,it will keep him busy for a while.
Also maybe getting a dog-walker,to tire him out a bit,is a good idea..
I don't have a dog,but I walk my neighbors dog every day,I am sure it is a nice break from her monotony of beeing alone all day.

Winston
September 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I second the vet opinion! it must hurt for sure. I read somewhere that if there is a yeast type bacteria under the skin and alot of dogs are prone to yeast type infections that they will chew at the area. Please get him checked though I am positive its painful!

Good Luck

Love4himies
September 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Yes, it would be very painful as there are nerve endings in their quick. Hopefully you can get him to a vet ASAP. :pray:

hazelrunpack
September 17th, 2010, 12:04 AM
There is also a condition that causes the nails to slough off. I forget what the name of it is, but one of hubby's friends has a dog that has it. Regardless, a vet visit is in order!

I hope your baby is better soon! :goodvibes:

rainbow
September 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
You are right to be concerned about infection so please get hime to a vet asap.

The chewing could be allergy related ......what are you feeding him?

.unknown.
September 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Is this one of the first few times he's been left outside? You said there was blood all over the wall? Maybe he was scratching to get in and wore his nails down to the quick?

But yes, a vet visit is necessary :)

Good luck!