Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Aged Lab end days?

noshyn
September 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM
My Lab is 14 1/2 years old and has enjoyed good health. She has some trouble getting up and down now, has become listless, and yesterday and today she quit eating. She has taken some water but refuses food of any kind. I can't bare letting her go but I want to do the right thing for her. How will I know when the time is right? Thanks!
Norma

Luba
September 12th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Hi Norma first things are you must get this dog to a vet dogs stop eating for a variety of reasons including and mostly because of pain.

There are good pain management tools out there, like Metacam and for arthritis there is glucosamine, shark cartilidge and fish oils.

Your baby may just need some additional TLC :D lets see what the vet says huh!

Bugsy
September 12th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Hi Norma

Luba is right. She needs to see a vet. He/she will probably
perscribe meds. The meds will ease the pain and aleviating
the pain may just get her to eat. Making her a little stronger
hopefully.

Is there "something" telling you otherwise?

noshyn
September 12th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks Luba and Bugsy. I will take Millie to the Vet tomorrow. As far as "something" telling me otherwise, it's just that she's been slowly going downhill for a while, which is to be expected at her age. She's quite old for a Labrador Ret. going on 15. I'll do whatever I can to make her comfortable. Thanks again and I'll update you tomorrow.
Norma

Iggette
September 13th, 2004, 06:16 AM
noshyn
I am sorry to hearabout your puppy.....I too must suggest a vet visit, by the sounds of it your dog is in much pain, and as you said....yes....she is getting up there in years, I would at least try the pain meds if the vet thinks it will help he/she will give you an honest opinion, then it is your choice. "how do you know when it is time?".......your heart will tell you, you love her dearly I am sure and would not want her pain prolonged, it is then that you must make the ultimate decision. I know it's hard I've been there, as many here have as well, it's the hardest choice you will have to make in regards to her care.
Wishing you the best of luck, let us know what the vet says

Goldenmom
September 13th, 2004, 08:20 AM
I think your Baby has had enough. The age span for Labs and Goldens is 10-12 years old. You have done very well! Treasure the years and memories you have of your girl. If the vet says its time, then please let her go pain free. One morning she will wake up and won't be able to move and this is not nice, believe me, I have been through this. We had to put our beloved 13-yr old lab down. We left it too long and then one morning that was it. I have learned a valuable lesson and that is to do it for the dog, not for me. My heart will heal, hers won't.

Good luck and please let us know how the vet appointment will go.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls.

noshyn
September 13th, 2004, 08:15 PM
My sweet Millie died in my arms at the Vet's today after many kisses and hugs. It was her time. I'm going to pick up her ashes next week and do something special for her. She was the most unconditionally loving and faithful companion with whom one could share their life and home, as your pet must be to you She slept on my bed with me and followed me everywhere. I'm going to miss her dearly. Thank you all for your caring. It means a lot to me knowing you understand.
Norma

Bugsy
September 13th, 2004, 08:23 PM
I'm sooo sorry. :(

She was very lucky to have been so loved.

Goldenmom
September 13th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. Many of us here know what you feel like and are here to listen. You had some wonderful years with your dog and the memories will be so great for you.

Something you may want to do in the future is to plant a tree in memory of your friend.

Take care
Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Sneaky2006
September 13th, 2004, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry. :(
I think planting a tree is a great idea.

moontamara
September 13th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I keep trying to post on this thread, but no words are coming. Just want to say I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm glad you had 14 happy years together.

Luba
September 13th, 2004, 09:20 PM
I"m glad the two of you were together to say so long for now....and to give your baby the comfort and love that you've always shown your Millie.

God Speed Millie
(hugs)

Writing4Fun
September 13th, 2004, 09:27 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. I know that nothing I can say here will help ease your pain. Only time can do that. Just know that Millie lived a very full and happy life, and is now in a happy and pain-free place.

Something you may want to do in the future is to plant a tree in memory of your friend.
That's an excellent idea! Another thing one can do is get a memorial rock to put under the tree. You can buy them on-line, but I've been trying to make one myself with my trusty Dremel.

BamaRama
September 14th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I cried reading this.

I'm so very sorry for your loss! *hugs*

heeler's rock!
September 14th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I've been following this thread and I am so sorry for your loss.....
Your baby was lucky to have such a long life, almost pain-free! You must have done a wonderful job with her! Wherever she is now, she will always be in your heart.....never forget that.... :o

krdahmer
September 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM
So sorry for your loss <{{{{HUG}}}}> and know that you were blessed with all those wonderful years together.

wAggie
September 16th, 2004, 10:48 PM
I'm so glad you shared such a cherished relationship with Millie.

She will forever stay in your heart. You did the right thing.

RIP Millie. :(

glasslass
September 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM
I hope you feel all the caring vibes everyone here sends to you. This is the hard part of owning pets. But 14 1/2 years of love . . . . it was worth it! Thank you for staying true to Millie right to the end! (((HUGS)))

noshyn
October 2nd, 2004, 10:24 PM
As sent to family and friends, thought I would share it with all of you loving people and pets. Thanks for caring!

My beloved Millie
March 1990
Sept. 2004
She will forever be in my heart.

Some of you might not understand someone writing a tribute to a dog, but to me, Millie was the most unconditionally loving and faithful companion with whom one could share their life and home. She asked for nothing in return except to be fed and treated well. The bond between canine and master is a special one. Any pet owner can attest to the impact an animal makes on our daily lives. We were very close and our love was mutual. She was such a joy!

Millie was a very special dog. She was smart, loving, and a very good girl. In all these years, she never once took a toy that wasn't hers. I would leave my slippers next to her bed and she never bothered them. Food left on the coffee table was safe around her. She knew what was hers and what wasn't. It's hard for some to believe how good she was ... never leaving the yard unless invited. Millie took great care of her toys and if a child tried to take one away from her, she would just drop it and let them have it. Funny, but she snubbed her own toys after another canine chewed all over them. LOL Once she even snubbed her water dish after big Max drank from it. I don't think she thought of herself as a dog. She was quite the fur-person!

Millie didn't care much for other dogs and preferred to be with her humans. She liked to chase birds but not the peahens and pea****s. She stalked lizards as though she were a cat. Once when she was young, she dragged a baby opossum into the house. She must have wounded the critter and it crawled into the closet where it died. Weeks or months later, I found it after following my nose. Of course, this was AFTER I threw away most of the old shoes in the closet. It proved to be a smart move on her part to get me to throw something away finally. What a shock it was to be searching in the closet in the middle of the night and finding this little possum face staring at me.

When Millie was just nine weeks old, she fell into the spa and I guess that's why she was never fond of water. She was such a cute little fluff ball. I can only think of once when she was really naughty. Around 4 months of age she chewed on the brand new vertical blinds in the bedroom and a few other things. Tsk tsk, naughty but forgiven. With a sweet face like that, what else could I do?

All in all, it's been a wonderful journey with her at my side, comforting me through thick and thin, good times and not so good times ... always ready to love and be loved. How I will miss her. Thank God for allowing us to share our lives with a pet. If you have a pet, give them a little extra love today. If you don't have a pet, consider adopting one so that they may live the good life too. Thanks for listening.
Norma

noshyn
October 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I like the idea of planting a tree in Millie's memory and as soon as I pick one, I'll let you know what it is. Fall is a great time to plant a tree.

As you know, I miss her terribly and I expect to see her on her bed or at the door when I come in. It's so strange to go outside and not have her following me out the door. It's lonely getting into bed and not have her beside me with my arm around her.

My family doctor said something that made me feel a bit better. She said Millie told me it was time and I think Millie did. A lady to the end.

Thanks again,
Norma

chico2
October 3rd, 2004, 07:19 AM
Noshyn,a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog...