Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help with Wound Care

Staciewells1
September 14th, 2010, 02:04 PM
We just brought Ellie (8 year old Min Pin) home from the vet. She had a lump removed from her face just above her mouth. It had grown in one year from a small mole to something that looked like a marble hanging down. We were concerned less about the actual growth than the possibility of her biting down on it when she ate. It was literally just hanging on by a small piece of skin, and she was only at the vet's office for a few hours today.

She has a small open sore now. I guess there wasn't much they could do to cover it. It's not bloody but it looks painful. At the moment, she's still numb, but I fear that when the feeling comes back, she's going to start licking it. She's in the middle of a 3week course of antibiotics for another issue (Baytril), and she got some pain meds today (Rimadyl).

My question is: what can I safely put on this wound that's so close to her mouth? In her first aid kit, I have some hot spot remedy, some antibiotic spray, some triple antibiotic cream (like Neosporin) and some various wipes. Will any of these work, or should I pick up something else.

The vet was out when we picked her up, or else I would have asked there. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

rainbow
September 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't put anything on it. If it starts to look like it's infected or is really bothering her then give your vet a call.

Speey healing to Ellie. :goodvibes: