Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vinnie is fat,please help!

chico2
September 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I am a little paranoid after losing Rocky,but Vinnie definitely has to lose weight..or he'll get sick too:(

Right now with only 2 cats,I feed them 2 5,5oz can Wellness daily.
Mid-Day they used to get treats(Temptation),but now I am trying some cooked chicken-breast,or a few pieces of canned Tuna for treats.

When Rocky was with us,I gave them Wellness at lunch too,just so Rocky would get his pills,but Chico and Vinnie seem ok with just a snack at lunch...
Any suggestions:confused:

aslan
September 14th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Chico2,,lol you're as bad as Grace...Ok figure out how much the two need for morning and evening meals and that and only that is what you give them. I had to take over Qmans meals because mommy G was going to love him to death..Hon they don't need treats,,,us humans NEEEEED to give them to them. Once in awhile is fine but not everyday at the same time,,etc,,etc. As i explained to G,,,if you feed treats that way they are no longer a treat they are a noon meal.

Frenchy
September 14th, 2010, 09:54 AM
aslan is right. My cats rarely gets treats :o Coco gets a bit more because she's a bit skinny but the boys .... if they were skinny I would but , they're just perfect right now and I want it to stay that way. :cat:

Chris21711
September 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM
The only time I give treats to Herbie and Kale Chico are in winter when Herbie's excercise regime is reduced, I shake the bag from upstairs, that way he has to go up and down the stairs for his excercise....then they get 1 treat......Also I would reduce the amount of food you are giving Vinnie at mealtimes.

BenMax
September 14th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I also do not give any treats to my cats at all. Out of all the cats, there is one that is much larger and fatter than the rest, yet he eats no more or less than the others.

Remember that what ailes one does not necessarily ail another.

bendyfoot
September 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Our 6 pets all gain/lose weight at different rates, so everyone gets (a) carefully portioned meal(s) that have been adjusted according to their body conditions. If one is getting chubby, the amount is lowered a little bit, we monitor body changes for a week or two, then adjust further as needed. Additional excercise is added to help the process (easier with dogs than cats, though IMO). Skinnies are the only ones who get extra bites or treats between meals. We rarely treat at all, with the exception of one baby carrot each in the morning when we make our lunches. I should add, too, that we "police" all meals to make sure that everybody eats the food we intended them to eat and doesn't steal from anyone else...this also makes it easier to notice if someone is off their food or not eating as much...

Love4himies
September 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I can't really offer any advice as I have a "floofy" kitty too that I can't get the weight off. Does Vinnie eat all his food at once and go for chico's? That's my problem with Sweet Pea, so I have to keep them separated all the time. Sweet Pea does not get any treats.

Your portions sound very close to what I feed mine. Puddles a little less because she is not active. I do feed them three times a day, but small portions.

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Chico, I totally understand your worry. My heaviest is Vlad, but he's a big cat, and I've been told he's a good weight for his size. I don't feed mine based on the can so much as I measure their food. I've been doing this for a little over 3 years and they have all maintained the same weight, give or take a pound or two at each weigh in. In the morning I mix 1 can, 13.5oz. with 2 tablespoons of water

At 5:45 I get up and feed them. They all get 1 tablespoon. Before I go to take a shower, Czari has finished her plate, Maks his and moves to Kiska's who has left just a small bit. Vlad has finished his, and moves to Oksana's who has also left a small bit. What is left over in the bowl I use to mix the food, I put in the fridge. When I am ready to leave at around 7:00 I take the rest of the food out, and give each plate another level tablespoon. I leave it cold so it maintains itself fresher.

When I come home, I repeat the same thing. So each cat gets 4 level tablespoons daily, given to them 4 times a day. I do give them treats in between, but not a lot.

The boys will always eat a little from the girls plates, and what each of them doesn't eat in one sitting, they come back for. At first I thought it was too little, but they all get their fill.

Have you ever tried measuring Vinnie's food?

chico2
September 14th, 2010, 02:54 PM
:laughing::laughing:I give my cats (or have been giving)a handful of treats in the middle of the day,today they got 2 pieces each......Chico gave me a funny look,like..."that's it??gimme more,gimme more":laughing:

I don't really have to watch when they eat,none of them finish their food.when Rocky was still with us,I had to watch,since his food had medicin.

BenMax,I am not worried Vinnie will get what Rocky had,but I had another white cat years ago and he got diabeties(sp?)he was also very overweight.

Chico is 16lb's but absolutely not fat,just a big kitty,but I think Vinnie is more than 18lb's:(
They are not going to be happy but that's it for treats,every night they come and sit with me,waiting for their treats after dinner,so,I'll give them a couple of small pieces of chicken......I am afraid I'll have a kitty-revolution on my hands:cat:

Frenchy
September 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I am afraid I'll have a kitty-revolution on my hands:cat:

revolution :laughing:

start with a little less each day , they might get used to it better this way :)

Saru-Tanuky
September 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Hi, I completly understand your situation. I have two cats - a sister and brother. Our male cat, Saru is quite chubby. I too have stopped giving them treats which made a very small difference. I also tried weight control food from the vet, but, the biggest change came in extra exercise. Our cats are indoor and we now spend a lot of extra time gettting them to chase toys which has made a big difference in his weight. :)