Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kela's mom

kela's mom
September 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Great Morning!!! It feels funny on a networking site for my dog!! Anyway for the past 4 days she has been experincing red eyes. She doesnt appear to be in pain or squinting. Does anyone know of anything over the counter i can purchase or do i need to see a vet?

Frenchy
September 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Hi Kela's mom , when it comes to eyes , I always strongly advise to take your pet to the vet. I know of a dog who lost her eye sight because she had a simple eye infection , but her owners never brought her to the vet. :shrug:

BenMax
September 14th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I have to agree 100% with Frenchy. I had taken in a cat that had an eye problem which resulted in a painful ulcer of the eye. Vet bill was crazy and had it been addressed when she had the initial eye infection it would have costed a heck of alot less.

Good luck.

Koteburo
September 15th, 2010, 02:45 AM
My cat once had gray discharge and a lot of itch one afternoon. I called her vet and he was out until Wednesday (It was a Sunday). So the only thing I did in the mean time was with clean water I made chamomile tea, I used 2 bags for 1 or 2/3 of a cup of water. No sugar ofc. Keep it covered in a clean container. Once it cools off (room temperature) wash your hands, if you have one of those drop thingies use it, if not a sterilized cotton ball, soak it in the tea and let 2 to 3 drops fall in your doggie's eyes. Do it in the morning and before going to sleep at night.
Chamomile is a good auxiliary in light and mild eye infections. Since we don't really know the problem your dog has in her eyes this will only be a temporary assistant to keep the eyes clean and also has anti-inflammatory properties.

But you should have her checked by the vet if you see that the redness doesn't go away since it's been 4 days already and counting.

After a couple of times cleaning her eyes my kitty stopped having discharge (or at least not enough to be noticeable) and it was a relief for her until the vet came back and checked her and got a prescription for her.

kela's mom
September 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks soooo much for the suggestions. I am making an appointment for Friday morning. In the meantime I will try the tea bags. thanks again and please say a prayer for her. we 've only had her @ 4wks but we are very attached.

Koteburo
September 17th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I wish you the best and for your doggy lots of years of health :)
I hope she gets well really soon ;)
Update us to know what she had :D

P.S. Oh! I forgot to tell you, don't use the same tea for more than 2 days. Day 1, then next day use it, then throw it away and make new one.

kela's mom
September 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hey just wanted to inform you that Kela is fine. Just allergies?! Not good but defintely not bad. I guess that just confims that she belongs with our sneezing, itcy eyed family. Lol!!! Thanks for the concern.

Koteburo
September 22nd, 2010, 04:06 AM
http://www.anikaos.com/0038-onigiri_rice_balls/onigiri_cheerleader.gif http://www.anikaos.com/0038-onigiri_rice_balls/onigiri_cheerleader.gif http://www.anikaos.com/0038-onigiri_rice_balls/onigiri_cheerleader.gif
Wee! Only allergies. I'm glad.
Thx for the update :thumbs up