Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some good vibes and prayers for Benni

14+kitties
September 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Benni hasn't been eating lately and has lost some weight. I have been force feeding her for the last few days waiting to get into the vet. We went in this afternoon. All I can say is ....... here we go again. :( She has liver disease. I told the vet if she was in pain and there wasn't much of a chance to put her down. Maybe selfish of me but I don't want her suffering. The vet feels she has a chance to recover.
She is on Amoxicillin twice a day, Metronidazole twice a day, Buprenorphine twice a day, Mirtazapine to get her appetite going, and sub Q's for her dehydration. I have her in the house in Dart's crate. She is not a happy girl but she has no choice.
Please say a prayer or two for her. I don't know if I can handle losing another one so soon.

pbpatti
September 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Oh, 14+, there has been too much sadness on the board this summer. I will send lots of prayers for Benni in hopes that she gets well soon. patti:pray::grouphug:

diandpat
September 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM
:pray::pray::pray: :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: :fingerscr

Hopefully if the vet says she has a chance he feels it is not too far advanced.

There has been too much sadness here lately...hopefully Benni will be a success story :pawprint:

Love4himies
September 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Oh no, this is just too much this summer :cry::cry: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Hopefully Benni will make a quick recovery :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: and tons more :goodvibes::fingerscr:pray:

Koteburo
September 13th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Aww Benni <3

I'm very new here don't know people around yet but it does make me sad to know that a kitty is sick, plus I've been there in hard situations with pets and as the owner is very hard.
I have so many prayers pending and I will remember Benni as well.

Take care and be strong.

Sylvie
September 13th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Oh no, :grouphug: for you and Benni

:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for Benni

She will be in my prayers.

LittleMushroom
September 13th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Lots of kisses and hugs for Benni! What type of liver disease does she have? Thanks for helping me while you are going through this rough time. Be strong and positive, and hopefully things will get better! :pray::pray::pray:

Winston
September 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: mf.....

Dee-O-Gee
September 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Oh 14+ Sending you, Benni and the rest of the gang lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: and a bunch of :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Please keep us updated on her conditions. :pray:

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Sending good wishes and :goodvibes: for Benni's complete and swift recovery!! :grouphug:

mastifflover
September 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Oh poor Benni I am sending lots of good thoughts and vibes your way.

14+kitties
September 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Thank you everyone for your good vibes. I admit I have been a bit of a mess with this coming on the heels of losing Brownie in April. I've been doing some more reading and looking for answers. All I've come up with so far is second guessing the worm meds that the vets have prescribed/sold me for my gang. She asked about regular worming which I have always done. I have recently started using WormGuard in their food as well. Every time I have had them checked for worms there has been no infestations so I am a little confused.

All we can do is to hope that these meds do their job and Benni is back to her normal self. I am missing her growly, snappishness. :(

krdahmer
September 13th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Oh no Benni...you hang in there tough girl! :goodvibes::pray::goodvibes::pray: that all those meds do their thing and she recovers quickly!
:grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
September 14th, 2010, 02:07 AM
When you say liver disease did the vet give a more definative diagnosis? Hepatic Lipidosis (Fatty Liver) or Cholangitis/cholangiohepatitis complex or Portosystemic shunt (Liver Shunt) or Toxic Hepatopathy (damage by toxins)?

Ask your vet about getting some Denamarin (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/vet/products/Denamarin.aspx) it includes SAMe and Silybin an extract of Milk Thistle both liver supportive.

:goodvibes: for Benni

Liver Disease in Cats - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment of Cat Liver Disease
Overview:
The liver is the largest internal organ of the body. It is located in the abdomen, under the diaphragm. It performs many functions which are essential to life.

•Cleans the blood by removing medications & toxins
•Regulating chemicals in the blood
•Produces & secretes bile, which aids digestion & absorption of fats. Bile is a greenish-yellow fluid which consists of bile acids & waste products such as bilirubin. It is made by the liver & stored in the gall bladder.
•Produces specific enzymes which aid digestion of food
•Converts most sugars into glycerine which it stores up as glycogen until required
•Fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K need bile in order to be absorbed by the body
•Production of blood clotting factors
•Manufacture of certain hormones
•Breaks down haemoglobin creating metabolites that are added to bile as pigment.
•The liver changes ammonia, a toxic by product of protein metabolism into urea, which is excreted in the urine.

The liver is divided into sections (known as lobes), each of which is composed of thousands of structural & functional units (hepatic lobules).

Two blood vessels enter the liver. The hepatic portal vein contains de-oxygenated blood from the spleen, pancreas & digestive system & the hepatic artery contains oxygen rich blood from the lungs.

Liver Disease:
There are several causes of liver disease in cats, which include:

•Hepatic Lipidosis (also known as Idiopathic Hepatic Lipidosis or Fatty Liver Disease). Hepatic Lipidosis is a common liver disease which is caused when a cat becomes anorexic (stops or reduces the amount of food it's eating), the body begins to use fat stores as fuel. These fat stores are sent to the liver, to be broken down to supply nutrients. Unfortunately, the liver sometimes becomes overwhelmed & is unable to process this fat as quickly as necessary, leading to a build up of fat in the liver, which interferes with normal liver function.

•Cholangitis/cholangiohepatitis complex: This is a number of related inflammatory & or infectious disorders of the liver and/or the biliary tract. Cholangitis relates to infection or inflammation of the bile duct & cholangiohepatitis is inflammation of the biliary system & by extension the liver. Causes of infection may often include FIP, Pancreatitis, IBD, bacterial infection, parasitic infection (including toxoplasmosis).

•Damage by toxins (Toxic Hepatopathy): This is caused by exposure to drugs, toxins or lack of blood to the liver.

•Cancer: There are many different types of tumour which affect the liver. Primary liver cancer (liver beginning in the liver) is uncommon in cats. Most cancers of the liver originate from some other site & spread to the liver.

•Portosystemic shunt (also known as liver shunt): Portosystemic shunts are abnormal communications between the portal & systemic venous system which allows intestinal blood to be delivered to the systemic circulation prior to hepatic detoxification. A shunt means that blood bypasses the liver, resulting in blood not being detoxified by the liver & a rise in toxins. Portosystemic shunts may be congenital or acquired, most shunts in cats are congenital & cats demonstrate clinical signs within 12 months of age.

What are the signs of liver disease in cats?
Symptoms may vary depending on what has caused liver disease, but common symptoms include:

•A common sign of liver disease is icterus (also known as jaundice). Signs of icterus are yellowing of the eyes, skin & mucous membranes.
•Loss of appetite
•Abdominal effusion
•Weight loss
•Polyuria (increased urination)
•Polydipsia (increased water consumption)
•Enlargement of the liver
•Lethargy
•Diarrhoea
•Vomiting
•Seizures
•Bad breath

How is liver disease diagnosed?
Your veterinarian will perform a physical examination of your cat & will want to run several tests, including a biochemical profile to look at;

•ALT (alanine aminotransferase) is an enzyme produced in the liver cells. The ALT test determines the level of this enzyme in the blood, which increases when damage to the liver cells has occurred.
•AST (aspartate aminotransferase) is an enzyme also found in skeletal & cardiac muscle cells, the brain & red blood cells. Elevated AST in the blood is also an indicator of liver disease, although as it is found in other organs, it is not as specific for liver cell injury as elevations in ALT.
•Bilirubin: This is a major breakdown product of red blood cells. When red blood cells wear out they are trapped in the spleen and destroyed, releasing bilirubin into the blood. This type of bilirubin is called unconjugated. This bilirubin is transported in the blood to the liver, where it is taken up & conjugated (joined with glycuronic acid). This conjugated form may either be stored in the liver cells or excreted into the bile. Bilirubin levels are increased in cats with liver disease, gallbladder disease or have excessive destruction of red blood cells (known as hemolysis).
•Low blood urea nitrogen.
•Low blood glucose.
•Low potassium (hypokalemia).
•Low cholesterol.
•Albumin: This is a major protein of the blood plasma. It is manufactured by the liver. Low levels of albumin in the blood can be a sign of liver disease.
•Complete blood count
•Urinalysis
•Thyroid testing
•Bile acids tolerance test
•Ultrasound: An ultrasound can give your veterinarian an idea of the size & shape of your cat's liver & gallbladder, and detect gallstones & biliary obstruction (blockage of the flow of bile from the liver).
•X-Ray: An x-ray may be taken to give your veterinarian an idea of the size & shape of your cat's liver. X-ray may also detect the presence of tumours.
•Biopsy: A liver biopsy is taken to determine the exact type of liver disease. This may be done at the same time as the ultrasound.
•Serologic Testing: Testing for diseases such as FeLV, FIV, FIP & toxoplasmosis may be taken as these diseases are associated with some liver disorders in cats.

How is liver disease treated?
Treatment depends on the cause of liver disease.

Hepatic Lipidosis:

•Intensive nutritional support. Most frequently this involves feeding a calorie dense, high protein food via a feeding tube either directly into the stomach or esophagus. This type of feeding will usually be required for 6 - 8 weeks.
•Fluid & electrolyte therapy if the cat is dehydrated.

Cholangitis/cholangiohepatitis complex:

•Supportive care with IV or subcutaneous fluids & nutritional support.
•If the cause is bacterial, antibiotics will be prescribed.
•Medication to control vomiting if necessary.
•Corticosteroids may also be helpful in cats.

Damage by toxins:

Supportive care.

Portosystemic Shunt:

•Surgical ligation.
•A prescription diet which is restricted in protein may be recommended.
•Supportive care, where necessary.

14+kitties
September 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks kr and growler.
Growler - Cholangitis/cholangiohepatitis complex is the one that I *think* she is leaning toward only because she asked about worming the cats. This vet is the one who does not give lots of info unfortunately. When I go back in I will have more questions. As I said when I heard liver my mind kind of shut down.

I have that same link in my favourites. I also have Denemarin, Milk Thistle and Sam-E here from Brownie. :rip: I have LiverTone as well but think I will get a new bottle of it. Not so sure how effective it is now.

chico2
September 14th, 2010, 08:21 AM
14+,Rocky too had obvious Liver-problems,as his liver was huge,I don't know if that caused his high calcium-levels,or if the tumor on his Para-Thyroid caused it,the vet did not know,but it's of no importance anymore.
I hope Bennis problem has been caught early and hopefully can be cured:pray:
I don't understand why they have to be on worm-meds if no evidence of parasites have been found,but I suppose with so many cats,the vets want to be sure:confused:

I feel for you my friend:(:grouphug:

Frenchy
September 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm so sorry 14+ :( good luck to Benni , I'm sure with all the good meds she's getting , she'll be better real soon :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Rgeurts
September 14th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I'm so sorry you have to go through this 14+ :(
I hope benni recovers. I don't know alot about the different liver diseases, but I sincerely hope this is something the liver can repair itself from. :grouphug::grouphug:

We are looking at Denamarin for monster as well, but can't find it where we live and none of the vets have even heard of it :shrug:

14+kitties
September 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks ladies. :grouphug: The support means a lot. :thumbs up

We are looking at Denamarin for monster as well, but can't find it where we live and none of the vets have even heard of it :shrug:

Rgeurts - Our Canadian vets don't seem to sell Denamarin. At least none that I have found. I order mine online.

Here's some info on it.....
http://www.drugs.com/vet/denamarin.html

And a site to order from......
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Denamarin+Tabs+-prod11008.html

Chris21711
September 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Sorry to hear about Benni 14k...saying my :pray:'s that she recovers just fine.

BenMax
September 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Geezz 14+K. I pray that Benni bounces back quickly.

My thoughts and prayers with you and Benni. Keep strong.:grouphug:

ancientgirl
September 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
14+, it sounds like the vet is optimistic about Benni recovering, so I'm taking that as a very good sign.

I'm sending positive thoughts and many prayers your way for Benni to get well quickly!:grouphug:

rainbow
September 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Sending lots of prayers and good wishes for Benni :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: and big hugs to you. :grouphug:

Masha
September 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: are being sent ur way!!

CarolynInPEI
September 14th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way....

loopoo
September 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM
:goodvibes: and prayers that your sweet kitty gets better real soon

Love4himies
September 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
How is Bennie today? Is this anything similar to sweet, beautiful Brownie?

luckypenny
September 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM
:2huggers: hang in there, 14+.

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray: for Benni.

14+kitties
September 14th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks again everyone. It is truly appreciated. :cloud9:

How is Bennie today? Is this anything similar to sweet, beautiful Brownie?

She is fiestier today. I guess the meds are helping a little. Unfortunately she isn't eating. I am still force feeding her. I've tried her regular food, tuna, baby food. Most of the time she would wolf those things down. Now she licks her lips and turns her head. I'm assuming the lip licking is nausea. Hopefully tomorrow she will try something on her own. :fingerscr
L4 - when the vet said liver I immediately thought that. Knowing how hard Brownie fought only to lose in the end and with the vet saying Benni is in pain from the liver I said if she wasn't going to make it to put her to sleep now so she wasn't suffering. The vet said the two cats were nothing alike. Brownie, my angel, also had anemia. Benni doesn't. It was the anemia that got him in the end. :( All I can do is to keep praying Benni pulls back from this. :pray:

growler~GateKeeper
September 15th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Raise her food dishes up a bit - head above the stomach while eating.

Have you tried purebites treats (http://www.purebites.com/ProductsCatEng/productschicken_cat.html)? They're easy to crumble ontop of other food. What about cooked meat? The bbq chicken from the deli counter in the grocery store seems a near irresistible food for cats. Tried raw w/her?

Was she tested for Helicobacter?

Update on the Diagnosis and Management of Feline Cholangiohepatitis 2003 (http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMTNAVC2003&PID=3671)

Feline Cholangiohepatitis - Mar Vista Vet (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_feline_cholangiohepatitis.html)

14+kitties
September 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Raise her food dishes up a bit - head above the stomach while eating.

Have you tried purebites treats (http://www.purebites.com/ProductsCatEng/productschicken_cat.html)? They're easy to crumble ontop of other food. What about cooked meat? The bbq chicken from the deli counter in the grocery store seems a near irresistible food for cats. Tried raw w/her?

Was she tested for Helicobacter?

Update on the Diagnosis and Management of Feline Cholangiohepatitis 2003 (http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMTNAVC2003&PID=3671)

Feline Cholangiohepatitis - Mar Vista Vet (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_feline_cholangiohepatitis.html)

At this point she has not been tested for anything growler. The vet made her diagnosis from the jaundice she saw and Benni's reaction when she explored her belly area. She wants to see if these meds will do their job and we will go from there. This is what they would normally prescribe.
Benni hates raw. She has been turning her nose up at cooked but haven't tried the chicken yet. My store doesn't sell it and I hate going to the other store in town. They are expensive. Will look for the treats when I buy the cat food this week.
I am still force feeding her. At least this way she is getting something down her.
Thanks for the sites. I will read them shortly. :thumbs up

JennieV
September 15th, 2010, 10:44 PM
:sorry:
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

I hope benni pulls through.. :pray:

rjesak
September 16th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Best of luck 14+. I've been going through a lot with my cats lately but no liver disease yet (though Oscar recently got over a liver infection). Anyway, I really do know how hard it is - especially on the heels of a loss (I lost my baby Gus just a few months back). Hang in there! And Benni too!!!
:grouphug::grouphug:

Love4himies
September 16th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Awwww, poor Benni :(:grouphug:

I think the worm meds are pretty harmless, the only ingredient would be the grape seed extract, but I thought that was harmless to cats.:shrug:

14+kitties
September 16th, 2010, 08:22 AM
:grouphug: Thanks Jennie and rjesak. Your support and prayers mean a lot.
L4 - I didn't mean the ingredients in the worm meds. I meant the meds themselves and how effective they were. I have found out lately that Strongid does not get rid of all types of worms. So it is possible Benni has one that it doesn't cover. I gave her a Melbamax this morning. It covers most worms. We'll see. :fingerscr
She, like Puddles, isn't eating yet. I am force feeding her a few times a day. She's not liking it much. :rolleyes:

shirley1011
September 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Unfortunately I have no advise for kitties...only prayers and good vibes coming your way...you sure have your hands full my friend!

14+kitties
September 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Unfortunately I have no advise for kitties...only prayers and good vibes coming your way...you sure have your hands full my friend!

:grouphug: Thanks Shirley. I thrive on stress! :rolleyes:

chico2
September 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
14+,when you force-feed her she's not vomiting is she and that's a good sign(I think)I tried feeding Rocky with a syringe,but it came back up,the little bit I got him to swallow.
My diabetic Peppi,was jaundice when he was first diagnosed..

I cannot believe what is happening with our kitties:(
:pray::pray::pray:Benni will get better:grouphug:

rainbow
September 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that Benni isn't improving. :( :grouphug:

Sending lots more prayers and good wishes your way. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

14+kitties
September 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Benni still isn't eating on her own. :( I have been force feeding her for over a week now. All I see is her wasting away. I keep praying I will get up in the morning and she will have eaten something on her own. I will be phoning the vet again tomorrow.
I have had Benni and her son Snoopy in my life now for somewhere around 14 months or so. She is the cat the customer foisted on me last year by telling me she was going to take her to be put down if I didn't take her. Only after I agreed did she tell me about Snoopy, her kitten. She also never told me Benni was pregnant again. After 14 months today was the first time I heard her purr. :cloud9: I am praying I will hear many many more of them. :fingerscr

rainbow
September 16th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm praying with you. :grouphug: :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

loopoo
September 16th, 2010, 10:57 PM
still saying prayers for your kitty that she eats.. just wondering do you think the metronidazole could be causing the appetite to go down even more? I have heard it is a really really nasty tasting drug, need to really hide it or it will make a cat nauseaus... used lots for gum, teeth, skin and bowel infections,worms or giardia. I am sure its used for a couple other things but those i am most familiar with. Just wondered if the taste, or perhaps the extra antibiotic isnt agreeing with her?

Koteburo
September 17th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I just thought of something...
Maybe parallel to Benni's meds and traditional treatment you could research and try some alternative healing techniques as long as it doesn't oppose to her regular treatment. It wouldn't hurt and it might even help, and you have nothing to lose with that.
There's aroma therapy, digitopuncture, even reiki, and a number of other alternate treatments. I haven't tried this but I would if I need to.
It's just a thought.

Let's all pray for Benni, the more people sending good thoughts and/or prayers the better it is.

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
14+, many prayers and good vibes coming your way from me and my gang. I hope she shows some improvement soon.:pray:

chico2
September 17th, 2010, 07:57 AM
14+,I remember when you got Benni and her son...I was hoping for some good news this morning:(
Hopefully she will help you fight what's ailing her and eat,I tried everything with my boy,anything from Ham(which he used to love)to canned Tuna but to no avail...

Please little Benni,turn around and fight for your life,a life in kitty paradise with the best kitty-mom:pray::goodvibes::fingerscr

BenMax
September 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
:pray: Come on Benni...

Hang in there 14+K.:grouphug: Love you Girl. Keep up the strength.

Love4himies
September 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Oh no, Benni, please eat something :goodvibes::pray:.

Don't give up hope, I know somebody whose cat wouldn't eat on her own for 6 months. 10 years later that kitty is an active, happy kitty. :cat: :grouphug:

14+kitties
September 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM
She ate a whole three treats today. It's a start. It's the first food she's eaten on her own in a long time. I'm heading downtown soon to get the cat food and will look around for some tidbits for her. Meanwhile it's more forced feeding. She did greet me this morning with a lot more interest than she has since I brought her in the house. I'm hoping that's a good sign. :fingerscr
I have her on a whole whack of homeopathic meds and Denamarin besides what the vet prescribed. I'm sure with all of that she is sick of seeing meds period. The metronidazole is applied directly to her gums from a syringe. No hiding it in food.
Koteburo - Unfortunately with my budget a lot of those alternative measures can not be used. I have a whole slew of other kitties to feed/vet. I do the best I can but at some point I have to say stop. But thanks for the suggestions. I will look into a couple of them.
Trying to get hold of the vet. So far she hasn't called back.

Chris21711
September 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Saying :pray:'s for Benni 14k....maybe she will go for the FF fishy flavors mixed with some water :shrug:....I'm happy to hear though that she seemed a bit more chippy this morning :).

14+kitties
September 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Saying :pray:'s for Benni 14k....maybe she will go for the FF fishy flavors mixed with some water :shrug:....I'm happy to hear though that she seemed a bit more chippy this morning :).

Nope. No FF. I've been using that all week long. I leave some available in her crate all the time so if she is hungry she will eat. She doesn't. :( I'm about to go do her feeding now. See how much she fights. :rolleyes:
Thanks for your prayers Chris and everyone. I am sure they are helping. :angel:

Chris21711
September 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Hmmm, no FF, that is the one flavour I can tempt Herbie with......so far :rolleyes: also there is a fishy Wellness one that he goes gaga over.

Love4himies
September 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
She ate a whole three treats today. It's a start. It's the first food she's eaten on her own in a long time.

That is a very good sign. Cat's when they get sick can become anorexic and dehydrated so quickly. If they associate food with feeling nauseous it may take some time to turn that around.

Another fact about cats is they require a high amount of B vitamins that assist with nerve functions. Cat's central nervous system phernoma plays a huge part in getting a cat to eat. An increase in B vitamins can be of some help. Raw egg yolks are an excellent source of Vitamin B and perhaps adding some to Benni's food will help :pray:

14+kitties
September 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
That is a very good sign. Cat's when they get sick can become anorexic and dehydrated so quickly. If they associate food with feeling nauseous it may take some time to turn that around.

Another fact about cats is they require a high amount of B vitamins that assist with nerve functions. Cat's central nervous system phernoma plays a huge part in getting a cat to eat. An increase in B vitamins can be of some help. Raw egg yolks are an excellent source of Vitamin B and perhaps adding some to Benni's food will help :pray:

I came home with beef/liver treats and freeze dried fish treats. Benni turned her nose up at both. The other kitties loved them though! Dart was growling at TT and Moewzer because he thought they were too close to his treat. :rolleyes: :laughing: I also got, beside the normal stuff, Weruva (PV just started stocking it :thumbs up), Taste of the Wild canned, and Chicken soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. All of them are smelly so I hope she will dive into at least one kind.
I have VB here. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I gave her some after I read your suggestion L4. Still waiting for vet to phone back. Hope she does before I leave for work.
She has to eat soon. She's fighting the force feedings. I guess that's good in a way. Means she's getting stronger.

rainbow
September 17th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Glad to hear that she at least ate some treats. :thumbs up

Hopefully that is a sign of more improvement to come. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

cpietra16
September 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
14+...I just read your thread...I am so sorry to hear that Bennie is having such a hard time. :grouphug::grouphug:to Bennie

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you cpietra. :grouphug:
No food yet. :( I finished off one med this morning. Hopefully now she doesn't have that taste she may eat. I am going to give her another feeding before I go to work today. :fingerscr it's the last one I have to do. I did notice her jaundice isn't as pronounced so that is great! She will be going back for a recheck this week. Vet never phoned yesterday and they don't work on the weekend so I wait till Monday.
On top of this there has been a bacterial infection working its' way through the whole gang for the last month. Lots of diarrhea. It started with Kearn and the gang and moved out to the rest of the catuary. I thought I was being so careful not to bring it into the house to everyone by taking my shoes off in the porch and washing really well but I should have changed my clothes too. Most of them have had it or have it now. Poor Dart is not feeling well today. He just wants to sleep. I think I need a bit of a break. :o Not from looking after kitties. :cloud9: From cleaning!!!

Frenchy
September 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
omg I'm so sorry about the diarhea 14+ :eek: you didn't need this on top of everything else ! :yell:

:fingerscr that the diarhea goes away pronto !

Dee-O-Gee
September 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Sure hope the infections can be contained soon 14+. :pray:

Be strong and next thing you know, this will all go away. :highfive:

:grouphug:

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks ladies. :grouphug: Things will get better. :thumbs up
I just fed Benni 24 ml of watered down Fancy Feast. Well, more like 22 ml. The rest of it either her or I wore. :D That will hold her till I get home from work. She did manage to have a normal poop though. That's a first in a while. :highfive:

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear about the diarrhea, 14+, not something you need on your plate right now. :grouphug:

Yay for the jaundice going away :thumbs up.

Kitties are so particular about eating that even being off just a bit turns them off, then of course meds can really stop them from eating. Hopefully she is just associating the bad taste of the meds with putting all food into her mouth and will soon realize food doesn't taste bad :pray:

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 10:25 AM
She's fighting the force feedings. I guess that's good in a way. Means she's getting stronger.

That's what happened with Puddles as she was getting better she was clenching her teeth tighter :frustrated: But it needed to be done, because combining illness with dehydration really affects a cat's appetite.

rainbow
September 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
So sorry to hear about the infection that is going through the catuary :( .....that's something you sure don't need right now. :grouphug:

Now that Benni is finished one of the meds hopefully her appetite will get better. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
September 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
14+,I hope the catuary-kitties get over the diarrhea,just having one cat with that problem is terrible..I cannot imagine that many.
Something you really did not need right now:(
Cats and meds,I wish someone would come up with something that did not bother the cats,they take meds to get better,but then they get sicker from not eating:confused:
I hope Benni will have a complete turn-around once the meds are done:pray::fingerscr
I also hope sweet little Dart and the other indoor kitties will not get sick:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cats and meds,I wish someone would come up with something that did not bother the cats,they take meds to get better,but then they get sicker from not eating:confused:

I agree :thumbs up.

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I also hope sweet little Dart and the other indoor kitties will not get sick:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr

Too late. They got it about the first of the week. Naddy and gang would have been ok because I had been working at keeping them apart but Chrissie snuck out the other day. So now they have it too. :shrug: Oh well.
I am giving them all probiotics and a homeopathic cocktail for bacterial infections. It seemed to help the catty cats.
No eating yet with Benni. I guess it's another feeding tonight. Hubby says she's foxing because she's enjoying being inside. :rolleyes:

Chris21711
September 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Sorry to hear that you're having to deal with all of this 14k :grouphug:

That Chrissie :rolleyes:

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear that you're having to deal with all of this 14k :grouphug:

That Chrissie :rolleyes:

It's ok. We'll get through it. With this many I have to expect it.
You are right. That Chrissie. She's the tiniest of the bunch and she sneaks out pretty fast!! I have been sterilizing everything but obviously not well enough. Good thing I have tons of syringes!!

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
How is her colour?

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
How is her colour?

I think the jaundice is not as bad now but her meds are almost gone. I think she may have to be on them longer. Once I get her back in to the vets this week hopefully we will know more. When I bring food out she smacks her lips together and then starts foaming. :shrug: That's why I wonder if she has a bad tooth or something else that is stopping her from eating. :confused:

Chris21711
September 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM
It's ok. We'll get through it. With this many I have to expect it.

I know you will get through it, but it is very draining m/f. You are only "1" person.

You are right. That Chrissie. She's the tiniest of the bunch and she sneaks out pretty fast!

:evil:

I have been sterilizing everything but obviously not well enough. Good thing I have tons of syringes!!

It's pretty well impossible in a house 14k, too much stuff around, carpets etc it's a tough battle.

Winston
September 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
14+ Tabitha used to do that when I had her on some meds last year.l It was crazy too because it was instant foam!! Good point about the tooth though! it wouldnt surprize me and thus making her not want to eat??

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I think the jaundice is not as bad now but her meds are almost gone. I think she may have to be on them longer. Once I get her back in to the vets this week hopefully we will know more. When I bring food out she smacks her lips together and then starts foaming. :shrug: That's why I wonder if she has a bad tooth or something else that is stopping her from eating. :confused:

That may be OK, the liver will heal on it's own, it took about 6 months for Puddles after she got into the paint thinner. The important thing is to stop whatever was causing it to fail.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Sometimes she may associate the food will feeling nauseated and will start to foam at the smell of food.

Is your vet sure she didn't get into something toxic?

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Or could it be she is anticipating those :yuck: meds?

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM
It's pretty well impossible in a house 14k, too much stuff around, carpets etc it's a tough battle.

:grouphug: Thanks mf.

14+ Tabitha used to do that when I had her on some meds last year.l It was crazy too because it was instant foam!! Good point about the tooth though! it wouldnt surprize me and thus making her not want to eat??

I am going to get the vet to look at her mouth this week if I can get her back in. And you are right. It is instant foam.

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Sometimes she may associate the food will feeling nauseated and will start to foam at the smell of food.

Is your vet sure she didn't get into something toxic?

That would have been darn near impossible L4. Benni was one of the kitties in a smaller enclosure. Nothing there to get into. I would think that if it was one of the ones with the full run of the catuary.

Or could it be she is anticipating those :yuck: meds?

I don't know. She was doing the foaming before she started the meds. It was like everything tasted bad to her. And it might well could have.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I thought it was just when you were coming with meds or food.

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I thought it was just when you were coming with meds or food.

Nope. She was doing it before I got her in. Basically while I was waiting for my appt to get her in she started it. That's what makes me think maybe there is a chance she has a bad tooth.
It's time to go feed her. Hope I can get more down her tonight. :fingerscr

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Evening meal consisted of about the same amount as this morning. But I made it a little thicker and used a better quality food. I'm hoping that might put some weight on her. Now she is zonked. I keep leaving food in her crate with her hoping in the morning I will see less of it.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evening meal consisted of about the same amount as this morning. But I made it a little thicker and used a better quality food. I'm hoping that might put some weight on her. Now she is zonked. I keep leaving food in her crate with her hoping in the morning I will see less of it.

I know it is so disheartening when you check on a sick kitty and it hasn't eaten :grouphug:.

Come on Benni :pray: please eat something to keep up your strength.

loopoo
September 18th, 2010, 10:19 PM
oh dear... still saying prayers for the poor girl... hope you find some answers when you take her in, and I hope her appetite comes back. Any possibility of doing a partial blood test just kidney liver and such? Its cheaper, may give you bit more of an idea of any problem area... someone also mentioned valium as an appetite stimulant. Now of course it depends on what is exactly going on with Benni, liver, kidney, tooth infection etc. but it does work amazingly given on a short term basis. Had a kitty with a bad infection stopped eating all together gave her antibiotics, only clavamox though still didnt eat, then gave her some valium for a few days and it worked wonders.:goodvibes::pray: that things get better here, and that the other fur kids are feeling better in the house too..

krdahmer
September 19th, 2010, 12:25 AM
sooo I'll come monday with a fresh set of scrubs and some disinfectant to help with poop duty! ;) man...there must be something in the air... four of my guys have the poops, and palomine is turning his nose up at everything (i have a feeling because of how he's barfing he's working on a stubborn hairball) I went and got some new cat grass for them and have cut out the treats for the time being till i figure out whats going on....i'm not super concerned about the diarreah here, that happens now and then due to food changes (we had tuna today to try and get palomine to eat) but if I don't see a furball soon i'm taking him in (i check him often for signs of dehydration- the skin test dr b taught me and his gums)

I'm starting to wonder though if there's a bad batch of something floating around though....

i hope that benni eats some on her own tonight:goodvibes::pray: and that the catty cats just have a 24 hour flu or something....i can't even imagine that many cats all with diarreah!!! :yuck::eek:

Magicwildwolf69
September 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM
:fingerscr that she eats something for you tonight 14+. You are such a strong person to do this so many times. hoping she gets better soon. and many :grouphug::grouphug: to you. wish i was closer and i could help.

Love4himies
September 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Any updates, I hope her jaundice is better :pray: :goodvibes:

chico2
September 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
14+,I think you might be on the right track about a tooth,it would be an easy enough problem to fix,but expensive:(as I am sure you know...
I wish I could help you,I cannot begin to imagine having so many kitties sick..if you need help,I am only 30min away,ok:grouphug:

Frenchy
September 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'm wondering if satin balls would be ok for cats too , if it would help ? I know they "work" great on dogs. :dog:

hang in there 14+ :grouphug:

Rgeurts
September 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I'm so sorry you're still having a rough time with Benni :(
I hope she gets better soon. You definitely deserve a break :grouphug: :grouphug:

14+kitties
September 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Well, no change with my stubborn girl. I hope to get in to the vet late afternoon tomorrow or Tues. I will phone first thing in the morning. The mouth will be the first thing I ask them to check. She "ate" about 30 ml of watered down food this morning before starting to fight the syringe. :thumbs up At least I know she's getting some nutrients. There is a possibility she is eating a very small amount of kibble. I leave some in a bowl in her crate. But it's really hard to tell unless I count them one by one.
Satin balls for kitties - mmmm, maybe would work Frenchy. Can you give me a quick recipe for them? Thank you! :grouphug: I think the diarrhea is almost at the end with the catty cats. It's been just about a month since the first sign of it. Now it's getting the kittens in the house over it. Dart is feeling better this morning. More playful. For that I am very grateful. But he is still sleeping a lot so I know he is not back to 100%.
Thank you everyone for your continued support. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you gals to complain to. Hubby is getting a little tired of listening to my litany of who has diarrhea and who isn't eating now. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you all!!

Frenchy
September 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I just posted this in another thread , you might want to change the amounts though , cats would only need tiny satin balls :p and also , ask sugarcatmom if those would be ok for cats , just to make sure. :)

here's how I make mine :

2 lbs raw ground beef
4-5 raw eggs (with or without the shells , shells are full of proteins , when I do put them in , I crush them first)
500 ml cottage cheese
canned pumpkin , the whole can (not the pie filler)
overly cooked rice (about 2 cups)
bread crumbs (to make it all "stick")

Everything is raw , other than the rice. You make them tennis ball size. Since this recipe makes a lot of balls () I wrapped them individually , in saran wrap and keep them in the freezer. You can give 1-2 a day , put them in the fridge the day before so they will be unfrozen when meal time.

for skinny dogs that need to put weight on , the satin balls are fed as supplements. You feed the usual meals , and personally , I would feed the satin ball around 8 pm , once they digested their kibble.

oh and you can also mix melasse (sp) to them.

rainbow
September 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear there hasn't been any change with Benni but at least 30ml is better than nothing. :grouphug:

The end of the diarrhea in the catuary is good news though. :thumbs up And, of course, very glad to hear that Dart is feeling better. :goodvibes:

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
September 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks Frenchy. :grouphug: I don't see anything in the SBs that will hurt the kitties. I will pick up the ingredients soon and make some up. I may have to cook them lightly as most of my catty cats don't like raw. :rolleyes: I saw in the other thread that you said they can be cooked. I may eliminate the egg whites.
Actually, they sound quite tasty. Nothing saying they aren't good for us either. :D
Benni still isn't eating on her own. I need something to break for her. :(

Love4himies
September 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM
30 mils is a lot for a sick kitty, good going :thumbs up. I can't tell how big Benni is, but Puddles is 8 lbs and I can only get 12 mils in her at a time when she is off her food. If you weren't feeding her, she would only get weaker and weaker :(.

Can you leave only 10 kibble in her bowl to see if she eats any? Though, if she had 30 mils of food and is not feeling well, she may not be hungry enough to eat them :shrug:. I know Tempation treats are :yuck: not so good health wise, but most kitties just love them, have you tried them? I think there is a fish flavour one.

Glad to hear about Dart and the decreasing of diarrhea :thumbs up:thumbs up.

Sending more :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: your way.

chico2
September 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM
:thumbs upFor Dart,:pray:all the others are recovering too:fingerscr
I think that since Benni eats a little and keeps it down,she'll eventually get better.:fingerscr
Hopefully your vet will discover,Bennis problem is easy to fix:grouphug:

Frenchy
September 20th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Actually, they sound quite tasty. Nothing saying they aren't good for us either. :D

I make mine raw so .... I never tasted them :yuck: :laughing:

rainbow
September 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Were you able to get an appt for Benni today? :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
September 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Were you able to get an appt for Benni today? :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Benni goes to the vet at 9 tomorrow morning. I hope something can be found. :fingerscr She has been out of the crate and in the bathroom this morning. I can't let her with the others as she does not like other kitties. I am thinking if she was back in her outside home she would be doing better. That's another thing to talk to the vet about.
Wish her luck gals. :pray:

Love4himies
September 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
The change in environment can cause stress on a lot of cats :(. Is she moving around at all?

How are her sleeping levels?

I hope you get some more answers tomorrow :pray: and of course sending lots and lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

14+kitties
September 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM
The change in environment can cause stress on a lot of cats :(. Is she moving around at all?

How are her sleeping levels?

I hope you get some more answers tomorrow :pray: and of course sending lots and lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

I knew she would be a little stressed in here but it was necessary, may be still necessary, so I could give her Sub-Qs. She sleeps well. In face, that's all she seems to do. When I take her into the bathroom she explores for a few minutes and then lies on the bathmat. I'm really hoping to get some answers tomorrow.

rainbow
September 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I think out of the crate would help her to not feel so confined. :thumbs up

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Magicwildwolf69
September 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear she's still not feeling well. Good luck at the vet tomorrow 14+. hope maybe its something with the mouth. Glad the other kitties are getting better from the diarrhea thing.

hazelrunpack
September 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I hope you get some good news tomorrow, 14+! :goodvibes: for Benni!

Koteburo
September 20th, 2010, 09:25 PM
How's Benni doing?
nvm I was reading the wrong page when I posted this.
Well I'll pray for Benni as well today <3

Rgeurts
September 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I hope the visit goes well tomorrow :fingerscr
Lotsa :goodvibes: and :pray:'s coming your way. I really hope Benni starts to eat and recovers soon. You must be so stressed :( :2huggers:

Love4himies
September 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
GOOD LUCK TODAY!

Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Rgeurts
September 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM
GOOD LUCK TODAY!

Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Ditto!!!
Good luck today!!! :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

Love4himies
September 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
I see your back, I hope you have good news :pray::pray::pray:

14+kitties
September 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
Thank you so much for your :goodvibes: ladies. :grouphug:
Well, nothing has changed. The vet is still saying Cholangiohepatitis complex. Benni is now on Prednisone, Hepato support vitamins, more antibiotics for another two weeks, and (I know) I buckled and got two cans of the AD to try to feed her just to get something down. She did do some bloodwork but I can't remember what it said. :o I will get a copy soon. The vet wants me to feed her smaller amounts more often and to continue the Sub-Qs. So.... it's a matter of she will either start fighting this thing or she will have to be put down. I am praying very hard for the former.

ancientgirl
September 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
14+, at this point as long as she eats something, I don't see anything wrong with buying her that food. Hopefully she will start to eat and the meds will help her get better.:pray:

diandpat
September 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM
Aw 14+ I am sure she is going to rally. I hear you on the AD but I have to say that when we got Ziggy last fall and he was so so sick and had not eaten I brought him to the vet (again) and she opened a can of that stuff...he was climbing all over himself to get at it and finished the entire 5.5oz can in probably 10-15 mins. I did buy a can to bring home because I just wanted him to eat anything so we could get the pills in him. Hopefully Benni will have a similar reaction too :goodvibes:

Fight sweet Benni, fight :fingerscr

Love4himies
September 21st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Awww, 14+ :grouphug:. In one of the articles that Growler posted, it did state that it can be a long time on antibiotics.

I had good success with AD when my foster kittens got sick and wouldn't eat. They loved it and it was easy to water down.

aslan
September 21st, 2010, 12:36 PM
14+ haven't posted in this thread but i have been following along,,,add our good vibes along with the others,,and who cares at this point what she eats aslong as she eats,,,her appetite should increase with the prednisone.

Chris21711
September 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm thinking positive 14k :pray:

rainbow
September 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I also don't see anything wrong with feeding the AD. It is often the only food that will get them interested again and that's the main thing right now so I hope it works for Benni. :pray:

Sending lots more good wishes your way for her improvement. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
September 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
A/D is probably the only Hill's product I'd ever consider using, and because it's a really smooth texture, it's great for syringe feeding when mixed with a bit of warm water. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes, and making sure all the cats in my house are crossing their toes too, hoping that Benni pulls out of this soon (and that's a heckuva lot of toes, with 2 polydatyls here). :fingerscr

loopoo
September 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Best wishes and prayers for Benni pulling through and hoping that the antibiotics clear this up and that she gobbles the A/D down!

14+kitties
September 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks everyone. It means more than I can say that I have Pets as an outlet. I don't know how I would get through some of this if I didn't have a place to vent. As I said, hubby gets a little tired hearing about poop consistency and how many pees they've peed vs how many they are supposed to pee.....
Benni turned her beautiful nose up at the first feeding. She even gagged on it which she has never done with any other food. :( I'm hoping the pred kicks in soon and she will get a bit of an appetite. :fingerscr
L4 - I remember the part about the antibiotics and the long time. I'm thinking she needs to hang on to let them work. :thumbs up
Oh yes, she hadn't lost any weight either. :highfive:

Sylvie
September 21st, 2010, 03:09 PM
My prayers are with you MF. I know what it feels like when your pet won't eat. :eek: It just tears at your heart.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: for you and of coarse for Benni.

rainbow
September 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Well at least she hasn't lost any weight :highfive: but sorry to hear she's refusing the AD food. :(

Have you tried smearing a little on the roof of her mouth? Maybe she doesn't like the syringe. :shrug: If not, hope the pred helps her appetite soon. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Glad to hear that she's holding her own in the weight department, anyway :thumbs up

We're all crossing our fingers and paws here that her appetite perks up! C'mon Benni! Eat and get better! :goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
September 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Come on Benni feel better soon. eat for your mommy! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you 14+. i know this must be so hard for you.

Love4himies
September 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM
She hasn't lost any weight :eek:, that is wonderful news, 14+ :thumbs up. I am thinking she is getting enough from your force feedings that she won't be hungry enough to eat :shrug:.

It may be the different food making her gag, but all my sickie cats have loved the AD, or the fact she thinks you are :evil: for taking her to the vet.

Frenchy
September 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'm so glad she hasn't lost any weight ! That's a good sign :thumbs up

will keep sending :goodvibes:

Rgeurts
September 21st, 2010, 10:22 PM
So happy she hasn't lost anymore weight! And I know what you mean re: A/D. I don't like the vet diets at all, but you do what ya gotta do. We have monster on Hills D/D right now :o
and may have to put Thorin back on the Gastro. It's the only food that kept him from bouts of colitis... go figure :shrug:

14+kitties
September 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM
Thank you all so much for your continued support. :grouphug: It means a lot!
Benni had about 2/3 of a can today. The vet wants me to feed her 3 or 4 smaller meals a day. She also mentioned a feeding tube. I don't think I want to go that far. If I can just get her to start on her own. I am going to go searching for some treats and things that might call her name or something. She didn't like the Purebites. The others enjoyed them. I crumbled some on top of food but she turned her nose up.
rainbow - Benni is a biter. You put anything in her mouth she bites. Not so sure I want my finger bitten that badly.
I'm hoping if I leave food in her crate with her and I am slow with a meal she will get hungry enough to try it. Maybe with the Pred she is on it may help too. :fingerscr

aslan
September 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM
good luck finding something that will kick her appetite into overdrive 14+..:fingerscr

Rgeurts
September 21st, 2010, 10:37 PM
I sure hope the pred helps!! Glad to hear she ate a bit today. Hopefully her full appetite will return soon and she will be on the mend. I'll keep you both in my :pray:'s :grouphug:

14+kitties
September 21st, 2010, 10:39 PM
good luck finding something that will kick her appetite into overdrive 14+..:fingerscr

Thanks aslan. I am so beat I'm not sure I'm even making sense any more. I think it's time for bed. :o

rainbow
September 22nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
No, I guess you don't wnat to smear if she's a biter. :D But 2/3 of a can sounds pretty good ....is that the most yet? Hope the pred starts to help soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
2/3 of a can is a lot for an inactive kitty. Puddles will eat about 1/2 of can on a good day, the others about 1 can (if that), but they are tearing around the house.

Sending more :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:.

14+kitties
September 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
The vet said 3/4 of a can. I figure 2/3 wasn't too bad for the first day. She really didn't want much with the last feeding. The morning one and mid afternoon she doesn't fight as much. Last night she clenched her teeth together after about 5 or 6 mls. :rolleyes:
Right now she has a few Temptations, a few pieces of kibble, some tuna packed in water, and some AD in her crate with her. She has ignored it all. When I let her out for an hour or so this morning she ignored everything too. Stubborn!! But you are right L4. She is being force fed so much she probably isn't hungry. Maybe I'll skip tonights' meal when I get home from work and see how she is in the morning.

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
When Snowball was sick, my vet thought he should be eating a whole can too. He hadn't eaten that much since he was a young adult. He would only eat half to 2/3 a day depending on how active he was.

When I was force feeding Puddles, I could only get just under a half of can a day.

14+kitties
September 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
I am not going to stress over a few mouthfuls. She will eat when she is ready. We just have to maintain weight, or gain, and get her better. :fingerscr

rainbow
September 22nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
I think skipping her evening feeding is a good idea since it stresses her so much. Maybe she will surprise you and eat whatever you leave out by morning. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
September 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
i am glad she's eating,the pred did nothing to my boys appetite,but he had difficulty swallowing,because of the growth.
so.there was nothing wrong with her teeth and she has not lost weight,sounds really encouraging:thumbs up

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
I am not going to stress over a few mouthfuls. She will eat when she is ready. We just have to maintain weight, or gain, and get her better. :fingerscr

Absolutely. I guess my point was to not get too upset about her not eating on her own because she is getting enough from the feedings. :grouphug: I know how disheartening it is when you check on your babies hoping they have eaten and they hadn't :( :grouphug:

14+kitties
September 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Cross your fingers she will eat something tonight please. :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
September 23rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
Have you tried a teensy pinch of catnip or parmesan cheese on her food? Have you tried offering a small bit of scrambled eggs or meat based baby food w/no onions? Are you warming the catfood slurry before assist feeding?

I wouldn't leave her too long without feeding even if you have food in the crate for her, even though she is telling you she's had enough of you feeding her by end of day she still might not be getting enough calories. Maybe you can add another small feeding just before bed so she has at least a little something in her stomach overnight as nausea can occur from not enough food. If she is showing any interest at all in the food left out for her I wouldn't be too concerned about skipping a feeding, but if she has no interest at all I wouldn't risk it with her already having liver issues :2cents:

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#calorie_needs
Average Feline Calorie Needs

Whilst it is hard to be precise, a cat needs approximately 30-35 calories per day per pound of body weight, or possibly more if the cat is particularly active. As an example, a 9 lb cat would need 270-315 calories a day. Therefore, as you can see, feeding a teaspoonful of food a day is not going to be enough to maintain your cat's weight, let alone increase it if your cat is too thin.

:goodvibes:

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
I hope she ate last night :pray::pray::pray::fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:g oodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
September 23rd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Wow 14+, I haven't been on lately and missed so much it seems. I sure hope Benni picks up soon and feels better. I know you must be so stressed out over her being ill. Stay strong my friend, with you on her side Benni has no choice but to get better. :pray::grouphug:

krdahmer
September 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
I'll have another meowy talk with benni tonight.... and maybe the pred will work like it does on me....I can't shovel food in fast enough when I'm on that stuff! :fingerscr:goodvibes:

rainbow
September 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Did Bennie eat last night? :fingerscr How is she today? :goodvibes: :grouphug:

14+kitties
September 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
Have you tried a teensy pinch of catnip or parmesan cheese on her food? Have you tried offering a small bit of scrambled eggs or meat based baby food w/no onions? Are you warming the catfood slurry before assist feeding?

She isn't much for catnip. She does enjoy the leaves occasionally but not the dry stuff. I will try that. Parmesan I will have to buy. Scrambled egg she turns her nose up at. Baby food too. And yes, always warmed.

Wow 14+, I haven't been on lately and missed so much it seems. I sure hope Benni picks up soon and feels better. I know you must be so stressed out over her being ill. Stay strong my friend, with you on her side Benni has no choice but to get better. :pray::grouphug:

I'm ok. Just need to get my gang all healthy again. :grouphug: Thank you!

Magicwildwolf69
September 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
:grouphug::grouphug: to you 14+ i hope she really eats on her own soon. Glad she hasn't lost any weight yet!

rainbow
September 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM
How's Benni doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
September 24th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Well, it was rather disheartening today. I put a couple of Purebite treats in front of Benni tonight. She tried so hard to eat them. I could see she wanted to. Then she started foaming and turned away from them. Shortly after that she threw up a small amount of food. She hasn't thrown up before. I'm wondering if it's the Hepato Support vitamins. That's the only new thing she's had. If I coat them with food so she can swallow them she gags. If I open the capsule and add it to her food she gags. I'm giving her Denamarin. Maybe that would be enough. :shrug:
Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow. :fingerscr

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Have you pm'd Dr Lee? He may have some insight into this :pray:

14+kitties
September 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
SHE ATE!!!!!!!!
Not much. Only about 6 or 7 treats. But she ate on her own!!!!!! :cloud9:
I am so hoping this is the start. :fingerscr She turned her face away from "real" food but I will try tempting her with different things today to see if I can spike her interest.
L4 - Pming Dr Lee is a great idea. :headslap: Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Frenchy
September 25th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Finally ! :highfive: yea Benni ! :clap:

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM
OMG, I was just in the middle of posting below when I saw your post!!!!!!!! :thumbs up:thumbs up I am crying now. :grouphug::grouphug:

I was thinking the liver disease along with the antibiotics may be making her feel really nauseated so when food hits her tummy, she starts feeling sick.

The other way to get vit B is raw liver and raw egg yolks and add the milk thistle.

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Yay, Benni :highfive: I am so happy!

14+kitties
September 25th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I watched her eat a couple of the treats and I cried too. It's so hard to see them go through this. I can't tell you how relieved I am.
She is on Vitamin B as well as all the other meds. I'm sure it has to have an effect on her belly. Last night when I gave her the Pred she foamed so badly most of the pill came back up. :(
I tried her with raw liver the other day. I will try again though. Brownie :angel: loved it so maybe now she's eating a bit she might try too. I was told Milk Thistle tastes really bad too. That's in her vitamin.
Now I am going to give her a small force fed meal. Let's hope. :fingerscr

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 09:10 AM
None of my cats will eat raw liver on their own, not even Rose. The only way is to have it ground in their food.

I am a person who believes that vitamins in their natural form are always better than the chemical kind. I will pm you why.

Frenchy
September 25th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I am a person who believes that vitamins in their natural form are always better than the chemical kind.

Amen sista ! :thumbs up

Rgeurts
September 25th, 2010, 11:14 AM
14+, I'm so happy she ate a bit! Let's hope this is her turning point and continues to eat. Poor little baby, with all the meds, it is so hard on them :(

I will continue to keep you both in my :pray:'s. :fingerscr that things will do nothing but improve from this point on!

Magicwildwolf69
September 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm so glad she ate something!!! will keep my fingers crossed that she keeps going! :grouphug::grouphug:

diandpat
September 25th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Good girl Benni!!!! Maybe now that there is something in her tummy she won't have the yucky feeling and will be able to eat more. Hopefully she is open to you force feeding her a wee bit too 14+ :thumbs up

It is so difficult to see them so miserable and not really know what to do...hopefully she has turned a corner and will start to eat on her own again soon :fingerscr
:goodvibes: and :pray: going out to you both!

chico2
September 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
14+finally some good news:thumbs up
i suppose,since their tummies are so small,several meds can cause problems,when they don't eat.

benni-girl,you be good now and eat some more for mommie,you'll make a lot of people happy,ok:cat:

14+kitties
September 25th, 2010, 12:07 PM
It's a huge relief to see her eat something. :cloud9: I could only get about 15 mls down her when I fed her. I didn't push it. I figured she had a bit on her belly so she probably wasn't too hungry. I tried another flavour of Weruva(sp) which is very smelly. :yuck:
She did some exploring in the house after I fed her. First time she's been curious enough to do that. :thumbs up Of course I was right behind the whole time in case she got too close to another kitty.:rolleyes: She does not like other cats at all. I have wondered if bringing her son in to see her for a few minutes would help her attitude. I may try that later.

rainbow
September 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
WOOO HOOO for Benni .....that is promising news. :highfive: I hope she has finally turned the corner and will soon be eating completely on her own. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Thank heavens she ate! I hope this is the beginning of her road to recovery.

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 02:08 PM
That is wonderful news :cry: :highfive: :thumbs up :grouphug:. Perhaps she just needed to be on antibiotics for a long time to start clearing up what ever was affecting her liver. :thumbs up. The pred will bring down the inflammation.

I think it is a great idea to bring her son to her. She is probably lonely without him :(.

krdahmer
September 25th, 2010, 05:25 PM
:goodvibes::thumbs up good job benni!!!!....and good luck catching Snoopy!!! ;):laughing:

rhartjr
September 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Hang in there Benni, good vibes coming your way. Dang 14+, between Benni and all the fecally challenged felines there's some coming your way to.

loopoo
September 25th, 2010, 09:39 PM
that is great news to hear!:goodvibes::thumbs up

TeriM
September 25th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Hope Benni ate well today :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

14+kitties
September 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Hang in there Benni, good vibes coming your way. Dang 14+, between Benni and all the fecally challenged felines there's some coming your way to.

RJ! It's nice to see you posting again. Could you please give us an update on your gang and how they are all doing? :pray:

Thank you everyone for your continued support with Benni. She is only 3 or 4 years old. She needs a break.

Well, it's back to the force feeding again. Benni tried to lick at her favourite food yesterday and managed to get a couple of licks in (no pun intended). Then she just turned her back on her food. Again this morning :(. So I gave her a few small feedings yesterday and a fairly good sized one this morning. I am closing the store tonight so will give her a small one before work and another one when I get home around 10:30 or so.
I couldn't reach the vet the other day so will phone tomorrow morning and ask about more antibiotics. Hopefully they will put her on a long term one to kick this thing. Benni is showing lots of interest every time I open the door to go out. I know she wants back outside. I'm just afraid she will slide back again.

Chris21711
September 26th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear Benni's eating habits are not improving 14k...the stress of being inside maybe a factor in her slow recovery......Would you consider moving her back to her enclosure and monitoring her a closely to see if it speeds up her recovery?

14+kitties
September 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear Benni's eating habits are not improving 14k...the stress of being inside maybe a factor in her slow recovery......Would you consider moving her back to her enclosure and monitoring her a closely to see if it speeds up her recovery?

Yep, I've been thinking about that. I am concerned about the weather getting colder now when she is already weak. That is about the only thing stopping me. I can close off half off the enclosure she is in so I can monitor the food intake and, need be, can bring her back in to feed her and give her sub-qs every day. I suppose extra straw in her bed would be ok to keep her warm. I think tomorrow is a good day to try that. :thumbs up I have a short shift and am off Tues and Wed so can keep a close eye on her.

Chris21711
September 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
It's worth a shot 14k, it will probably lift her morale :pray:

14+kitties
September 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM
It's worth a shot 14k, it will probably lift her morale :pray:

I think so too. Right now I have to boogie. Lots to do before work at 4. Including showering. :yuck: Force feeding makes me smell so purdy. :D

Love4himies
September 26th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Showing an interest in food is good, something is still making her nauseated and could very well be the antibiotic and the liver issues.

Have you had a follow up blood panel done to see if there is any improvement in the liver?

14+kitties
September 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Showing an interest in food is good, something is still making her nauseated and could very well be the antibiotic and the liver issues.

Have you had a follow up blood panel done to see if there is any improvement in the liver?

Not yet L4. The blood was only drawn last week. The first visit they did nothing. Benni didn't react the same when the vet squeezed her this last time. The first time she reacted with pain.
The one article says a long course of antibiotics. Right now I am out. I gave her the last round on Friday. First thing tomorrow I will phone and request more. :fingerscr

rainbow
September 26th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Sorry to hear about Benni refusing her food again. :( :grouphug: Hopefully, once she's back on the ABs it will pick up again. :pray: :fingerscr

14+kitties
September 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Well, I haven't updated this thread because Benni is still the same. Except she is getting some of her old cranky attitude back. :cloud9:
I have tried - salmon, tuna, just about every kind of canned cat food available except Whiskas :yuck:, liver, both raw and lightly cooked, Parmesean cheese, catnip, Purebites, Temptations, and cheddar cheese sprinkled on her food, chicken, egg yolks, and hamburger. She will eat approx 20 pieces of Kirkland dry and a few pieces of Luvs treats a day. Other than that - nadda. So, I am still force feeding. I must admit I am getting pretty adept at her Sub-Qs. I can put the needle in without her flinching and get her to sit for a few minutes. Usually growling softly the whole time. Not from pain. She just doesn't like being held in one spot for that long. Hubby says it's her purr. :D
She IS doing better. We just need to get her eating again. :shrug:
:lightbulb: Maybe I should buy a small pkg of crab meat?????

Rgeurts
September 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Oh, I'm so happy she is doing better!! :cloud9::D
Hopefully she will start eating on her own soon and stop worrying you!! :grouphug:

Love4himies
September 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
ALL my cat's favourite raw meat is pork, so perhaps lightly cooked piece of pork :shrug: cut up very finely so it is easier to eat. Jasper and Rose go crazy for cooked shrimp :crazy:, but won't touch crab or salmon :shrug: (it all smells the same to me :confused:).

Anyways, a cranky attitude is a sign that she has the energy to let you know how she is feeling :laughing: :goodvibes::goodvibes: :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Normal cranky 'tude is good! :highfive: Must be feeling a bit better, anyway! :fingerscr her appetite comes back now!

MissPurryJess
October 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM
14+ Daisy and Fitzy and I are sending you our love - we hope Benni gets her appetite back! :cat:

14+kitties
October 11th, 2010, 09:42 PM
14+ Daisy and Fitzy and I are sending you our love - we hope Benni gets her appetite back! :cat:

Thank you MPJ! Nothing has changed. Benni is still being force fed. But she has her cranky 'tude back in full force and has not lost any weight. I have a very very scratched up shoulder to prove it! I just need her to eat. Until she decides to do it on her own I will continue to feed her. :thumbs up

rjolly1967
October 12th, 2010, 01:58 AM
prayers for Benni
:pray:that the meds kick in and no suffering :sorry:

Love4himies
October 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Now that is one stubborn gal, isn't she :frustrated:.

Benni, time to eat, enough is enough, you are putting mommy through hell :yell:!!!!
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr::pray: :pray:

BenMax
October 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Just a shot in the dark here 14+K...did you try Cat's Milk or yogurt? Remember that little abby I had a while back that ended up dying from kidney failure? Well she would not eat either, but she did drink the Cat's Milk and dabbled in the yogurt. I know it's not ideal, but maybe worth the try to get her digestive system craving again.

Sorry I cannot add anything real concrete, but I thought I would share this just in case.

Hang in there.:grouphug:

marko
October 12th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Sending good vibes your way 14+ and Benni's way :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :pray: :pray: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

krdahmer
October 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Oh I was so hoping to come back to good news about Benni... :( So sorry she's still not eating on her own, :pray::goodvibes: she will soon! :grouphug:

14+kitties
October 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Just a shot in the dark here 14+K...did you try Cat's Milk or yogurt? Remember that little abby I had a while back that ended up dying from kidney failure? Well she would not eat either, but she did drink the Cat's Milk and dabbled in the yogurt. I know it's not ideal, but maybe worth the try to get her digestive system craving again.

Sorry I cannot add anything real concrete, but I thought I would share this just in case.

Hang in there.:grouphug:

She turns her nose up at yogurt. Haven't tried the cat milk but I may grab one from work to see what she does. I haven't tried pork with her either so maybe will grab a small amount of it too. You would think as much as she hates being force fed she would eat on her own. She does a small amount of dry but that isn't good enough.

Oh I was so hoping to come back to good news about Benni... :( So sorry she's still not eating on her own, :pray::goodvibes: she will soon! :grouphug:

Nope nope. Stubborn!!! :rolleyes:

BenMax
October 12th, 2010, 11:54 AM
14+K - I would try the Cat's Milk. I put alittle on her nose and she was hesitant at first but then went crazy on it.

I hope that it works...whatever that may be. So sorry that you are struggling with this.:(

14+kitties
October 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks BM. I still say there is something stopping her from eating. One day I hope she just gobbles down a whole bowl and shocks the heck out of me. Her back end is getting weaker and weaker because she doesn't walk around or do anything. Several times a day I put her in one spot and walk away from her just to get her to follow me and get some exercise.
I'm ok. Just keep keeping on. :thumbs up

Chris21711
October 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM
14k I still have those appetite stimulants if you need them...that girl has got to turn around one of these days....sigh.

ozball If you open a thread of your own, I think you will get more advice :o

Love4himies
October 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Am so sorry to hear about your kitty! I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with mine! He was a stray found him 3 weeks ago, have taken him to my vet (Glenora) and to the Spay clinic to be neutered. He has diarrhea I know very serious, I am very unhappy with the service from the Glenora and don't know where to go next. Can anyone suggest a good vet in Edmonton reasonably priced? A very kind member offered to drive me to Spruce Grove but I can't impose. He is eating well, very playful, in all areas a great cat! Thanks am new to this website and still unsure how best to navigate, sorry...

If Dr Boisvert is still practising in St Albert I would go see him.

ancientgirl
October 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
14+ I can't remember if you stated anything about this, but could her teeth be bothering her or maybe something in her mouth? A sore maybe?

Love4himies
October 12th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Pork is my cat's favourite raw. Another thing is venison, if you know of any hunters that can give you a tiny bit of meat. I think it may have a stronger smell :shrug:.

14+kitties
October 12th, 2010, 01:08 PM
14+ I can't remember if you stated anything about this, but could her teeth be bothering her or maybe something in her mouth? A sore maybe?

I asked the vet. She looked in her mouth as well as Benni would let her :evil: and couldn't find anything. She said the symptoms (not eating) are familiar with cats with liver issues. Brownie :rip: loved liver and I knew if I couldn't get him to eat anything else he would that. Benni won't touch it raw or cooked.

Pork is my cat's favourite raw. Another thing is venison, if you know of any hunters that can give you a tiny bit of meat. I think it may have a stronger smell :shrug:.

Funny I have ground up pork for my guys before and tried feeding it to them. They all to a cat turned their noses up at it. :shrug: I don't know any hunters anymore except my ex hubby. Maybe I'll ask him. :D But I'm too far away from him and I don't think his new wife would allow him to deliver. :laughing:

chico2
October 12th, 2010, 04:07 PM
14+,at least she's keeping the food you manage to give her down,
hopefully she'll feel stronger and want to eat:pray:

i remember i was in tears when rocky would not eat and i yelled to him"do you want to die"and all of a sudden he ate..but it was the last time he ate.:(

Love4himies
October 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Another food that Rose goes crazy for is cheese balls. I buy the ones at no frills (veggie one) and I can barely keep her off the coffee table :laughing:

14+kitties
October 27th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Just an update on stubborn Benni for those of you still following. Tried the cat's milk. Nope. Tried the cheese balls. Nope, but they were pretty good. :D Tried not force feeding her till noon hoping she would get hungry enough in the morning to try on her own. Nope. So we are now back at full out force feeding, lactated ringers to keep her hydrated (although she is drinking on her own), and another round of Mirtazapine (appetite stimulant) to try to get her interested in food. Chris - the ones you sent she had no reaction to. The last time she took Mirtazapine she didn't eat either so I'm not expecting a whole lot.
If I put down a few treats or a few pieces of dry food in front of her and stand there scratching her she will eat them. I tried that with canned food. No go.
Her jaundice is receding. I can see pink in her ears again. :thumbs up And she is moving around a little more. I added pumpkin to her food yesterday as I haven't seen much in the way of BMs. Last night she had a good one. So... I guess we keep on keeping on. One day I pray she will decide it's much better to eat on her own rather than have Mommy feeding her. :fingerscr

Love4himies
October 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the update, Benni is always on my mind :grouphug:

I think I mentioned to you, that my old boss's cat who had a liver issue at about the same age as Benni, took 6 months before she started eating again. The cat is now 14 years old.

The receding of the jaundice means the liver is starting to function and get those darn toxins out of her blood, which is what is probably making her feel nauseated all the time.

Sending more :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:, You are such a good kitty mom :angel:

BenMax
October 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Geezzz this is daunting. Come on you little monkey...we are all worried about you...EAT:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
The jaundice receding sounds really positive, 14+! :goodvibes:

14+kitties
October 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Now if she could only read and realize she has lots of people pulling for her....

Dog Dancer
October 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I hope Bennie comes around soon. It sounds good though for the time being. Shadow still wants me to hand feed her sometimes. She'll stop eating and I have to hand feed her to get her to take food every now and then. It can be frustrating for sure. But you're such a good mommy, you'll get Benni fixed up.

krdahmer
October 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Well that all sounds like good news...minus the not eating yet of course... hopefully soon!:goodvibes::pray:

rainbow
October 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Glad to hear the jaundice is receding. :thumbs up

C'mon Benni ....we're all pulling for you. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

catlover2
October 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM
:sorry: to hear what you and Benni have been going through. The receding jaundice sounds like it might be the beginning of a turnaround. I certainly hope so. :pray: for you and Benni.

chico2
October 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
i think of benni often and i am glad we got an update,so she's not totally off food,if she'll eat treats ever now and then:shrug:
she's still hanging in there,which is great news to me,she certainly is getting the best of care:grouphug:
come on benni,your mommy loves you,we love you,
EAT:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes::cat:

tklow
December 6th, 2010, 02:33 PM
All I've come up with so far is second guessing the worm meds that the vets have prescribed/sold me for my gang. She asked about regular worming which I have always done...

Interesting: is this more of a regional concern in Ontario, or something because you have many cats?

I have had cats for 25 years and have never dewormed any cat after the initial deworming when they are kittens. My vets have never suggested deworming or wormguard. Once they are dewormed they are only in contact with my own cats, so they don't seem to be at risk.

I know in different locales there are different parasites to worry about.

I wonder if that is what caused the liver problems? I hope not, but deworming meds are a form of poison to kill worms and they can cause diarrhea and vomiting, so I guess it's possible!

14+kitties
December 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Interesting: is this more of a regional concern in Ontario, or something because you have many cats?

It is not because I have many cats. It happens with one cat in the right situation.:rolleyes:

I have had cats for 25 years and have never dewormed any cat after the initial deworming when they are kittens. My vets have never suggested deworming or wormguard. Once they are dewormed they are only in contact with my own cats, so they don't seem to be at risk.

I have had cats for well over 30 years as well. The ones who were/are strictly indoor do not need to be wormed on a regular basis. However, if they happen to get fleas then yes, it is a good idea to use worm meds. I am sure you are aware that fleas can be brought into a home on clothing and cause tapeworm. I would prefer to have all of the cats indoor only but I do not have that choice at the moment. That will have to wait till I win my lottery. :D

I know in different locales there are different parasites to worry about.

I wonder if that is what caused the liver problems? I hope not, but deworming meds are a form of poison to kill worms and they can cause diarrhea and vomiting, so I guess it's possible!

I did not say it was the worm meds that I suspected. I said the effectiveness of the meds is what I thought may be at fault. I had only started the wormguard for a short time before Benni got sick.
Because my cats are in an indoor/outdoor sanctuary they have access to any unsuspecting mole/mouse that ventures in or too close to their fence line. They also have many trees where birds land. Occasionally one of the cats may nab a bird. :( Normally it is one of my ferals that does that. It is rather difficult to worm a cat you can't touch. Any time cats are indoor/outdoor there should be a concern for worms. Also, as mentioned earlier, fleas are a concern.

Good news is that Benni is healthy again. She is back to her normal grouchy self that earned her her name and is eating a variety of canned foods. She still likes her tuna the best though. ;) Her ears are nice and pink again. She will be going in after Christmas for a recheck. :thumbs up

Love4himies
December 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Cats don't even need to go outside to get worms. Fleas can come in on your socks, go on your cats, cat eats flea, cat gets tape worm, mom has a huge vet bill buying worm meds :frustrated:

Yay for Benni :thumbs up :highfive: I just can't believe she is not forever grateful for the hours and hours you spent saving her life :rolleyes:. Always a great feeling when they get back to their normal selves, isn't it? :laughing: :grouphug:

14+kitties
December 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Cats don't even need to go outside to get worms. Fleas can come in on your socks, go on your cats, cat eats flea, cat gets tape worm, mom has a huge vet bill buying worm meds :frustrated:

:thumbs up Thank you.

Yay for Benni :thumbs up :highfive: I just can't believe she is not forever grateful for the hours and hours you spent saving her life :rolleyes:. Always a great feeling when they get back to their normal selves, isn't it? :laughing: :grouphug:

Grateful? No, I don't get that feeling at all. :D Spoiled? You betcha! And I would do it again in a heartbeat for the same results!! :cloud9::cloud9::grouphug:

Rgeurts
December 6th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I'm so glad to read she's back to herself!!! :thumbs up :highfive:

You are such a wonderful mama :D
I'm sure she knows what you did for her :cloud9::lovestruck:

chico2
December 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
That's great news 14+,your perseverance and love did it:thumbs up

Marty11
December 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
What an amazing Kittymom. I have been following this. Yeah for Benni :)

14+kitties
December 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Thank you ladies. :o I'm sure Benni's tenacity had something to do with her getting healthier as well. Now she is itching to get out and explore again. :cloud9: I'm working on giving her more room. :thumbs up

rainbow
December 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Woooo Hoooo for Benni :highfive:

That is wonderful news :thumbs up .....you must be beyond ecstatic. :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Love4himies
December 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Grateful? No, I don't get that feeling at all. :D Spoiled? You betcha! And I would do it again in a heartbeat for the same results!! :cloud9::cloud9::grouphug:

Sounds like she has the same attitude as Puddles :laughing:.

You are just wonderful, 14+ :angel: :grouphug:, very, very special human who few could fill your shoes.

Tundra_Queen
December 7th, 2010, 11:43 PM
14+ that is wonderful news about Benni!! I'm so glad she is back to being a grumpy pants! 70767