Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pedigree in other countries

melanie
September 12th, 2004, 05:34 PM
there is a newspaper article on some asian countries pedigree products above. .
pedigree (pal) here is aussie owned and made. it is a top product and is the main brand of dog food and dog products sold in australia (competition growing slowly). they have many products including those with no added colors, preservatives and flavors and also food for older dogs.
what im wondering is what is pedigree like in your country?? what is the qualitly like and is it a leading dog food brand?? :D

moontamara
September 12th, 2004, 06:43 PM
As far as I remember from Canada (Canadians in Canada correct away at abandon!) it is a top grocery store dog food -- but not a top dog food (vet clinics and real pet stores wouldn't carry it). The ingredients are not all that impressive, but better than some other grocery store dog foods.

In Korea, it was considered good food (also grocery store available and not in vet clinics however) until it killed a bunch of dogs!!! But I guess you heard about that...

I have no confidence in it as a brand, and wouldn't buy it in any country, EVEN if it seemed okay some places. Any brand that has to spend that much money on advertising (rather than on making quality food) is NOT a good brand of dog food in my opinion....

Luba
September 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Well I"m sure the product list and ingredients are the same whether made in North America or elsewhere. I don't think they would change their manufacturing methods per country but you never know.

It may just be 'cheaper' to make it there then to ship it there after it's already made.

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Well, I couldn't find the ingredients on-line at Pedigree.au, but they certainly offer different products, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that the ingredients are different/better.

moontamara
September 12th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Melanie, are you sure the ingredients are good there? I just looked online, and they seem rather awful (corn being a first ingredient can't be good) even in Australia (although I don't know which particular product you're buying). When I first got Casey, I was told to feed him Science Diet, which I thought seemed like a good, high quality choice -- but when someone clued me in on this forum and I checked the ingredients I discovered it was terrible!!!

melanie
September 12th, 2004, 08:29 PM
:D it is 100% aussie owned and made in nsw, it must be a franchise or similar. due to the fact that they sell most snax, on the shelf meds etc it is hard not to buy of them. i have their denta stix, bones, jumbones, toys, dog bowl, 3 mth wormer and the list goes on. but i do mix it up with other aussie companies products such as Natures Gift but they all have limited prods.
the bag of dry i have now is chicken,rice, garlic and kelp with no added flavor, color or preservatives for older dogs. the exact ingredients are;

wholegrains and cereal products (rice and natural fibres)
tallow and vegetable oil
meat
kelp, garlic, essential vitamins including vitamin E and A + B groups
essential minerals- calcium, phospherous and zinc
antioxidents

thats it. i only use their products with no additives and never use their wet food, it just doesnt look very good., i have heard the additives and colors make dogs fart and poor bowel motions so never used them. i mix this with other natural products but have always used pedigree products for 8yrs now, never had a problem.
but i coudnt find out the structure of the company or anything on the website explaining how it works.

they also have low calorie dog food for older more rounded girls and boys, i have found it is fantastic when charlie gets a bit chubby :D . it has similar ingredients to those above.

thanks for the info everyone :D

moontamara
September 12th, 2004, 08:33 PM
mmmm garlic... gotta go check and see if Casey's getting any of that good stuff!!! hmm, very strange. corn is definitely the first ingredient here! how could it be so different! anyway, does sound pretty good!

GsdDiamond
September 13th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Personally, I would rather feed Diamond food that has a first ingredient of meat. The more meat the better. I can always add in fibre if the food she's eating is lacking.

iRONKNiGHT
September 13th, 2004, 04:29 PM
no offence mel :) pedigree already lost their case in my book!
no money for them!! LOL

heidiho
September 13th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Pedigree is cheap food here...

melanie
September 13th, 2004, 04:59 PM
dont worry i will never buy it in another country, boy sounds dodgy. but i do believe the aussie company are good and supply quality products. again it is only the australian company i speak of. but essentially charlie loves it and i like the preservative free aspect which is hard to find in many other dog foods and is important to me for dogs health, so what she wants she will always get :D :D (spoiled bugger) :D :D

but the only problem i can find in the asian pedigree was an unfortunate contamination of mold from a storage facility which is unfortunate but feasable, the mold caused the illness in dogs, problem fixed now. but if the corn thing is an issue i very much understand, i dont have that in mine.

it sounds like you dont get the quality i get here in your pedigree. that is a shame, but there are only a handful of dog product companies here (never seen diamond food at shop or vet, you can get some pretty fancy dog food at the vet though but stupidly expensive) so a quality product sells well and pedigree australia know that.. oh i wish i was rich, i would send you all a sample bag just to show how good it is here. :D

ironknight was it the asian thing or the corn that did you in (ps i dont work for pedigree so no offense taken and i dont mind if you disagree, im not a monster mister :p )??

but thanks for the info, interesting to know the other sides of the story. :D

iRONKNiGHT
September 13th, 2004, 05:07 PM
ironknight was it the asian thing or the corn that did you in? :D
No what did me in was how it was handle and the responce of the company! let's see i'll get some highlights!

"Pedigree denied the charge, but put up NT$1m to help authorities and health officials find out the cause of the dogs' deaths." (http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1496805,00.html)

Yet they've -

TAKEN OFF THE SHELVES

EFFEM Foods advises customers to avoid feeding their pets these recalled products:

Pedigree Dry dog food

Whiskas Dry cat food

Pedigree Dog's Delight Ringo

Pedigree Dog's Delight Tasty Bone

Pedigree Puppy Biscuit dog treats

they should not DENY it when we all know it ended to BE THEIR fault!

Mel my dear i am not going to waste my time talking about "Pedigree" anymore!

BigDog
September 13th, 2004, 05:13 PM
In Russia pedigripal was promoted really actively, and it is not a cheap product for dog food I must say.
We tried it for our dog (dry food), but he did not want to eat it at all. Maybe it was because our dog was used to home made food and prefered it, but we did not believe pedigree was worth the money they asked for, IMHO it's not cheap because of advertising costs, not because of higher quality.

BTW, I heard, some manufacturers of dog and cat food add in their products some components that make animal to eat it more and more and reject another food - it's something that causes addiction... Can it be true?

melanie
September 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM
hard to tell, i think my dog is addicted to food full stop :D only joking, i switch her food around alot for variety and use another dry food product from anther australian company as well as pedigree, charlie never minds what she eats, and believe me she will eat anything if it fits in the mouth. na no addiction here, just pure glutony :D :D :D :D

heidiho
September 13th, 2004, 05:58 PM
I just have to say my mom when i was little always fed our dachshund good ole regular food,not sure which one,but it was nothing fancy and he lived a very long,healthy life,i would not feed my dog alpo,and such,but my parents did and our dogs were always fine........and lived long lives...