Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got Horrible News Today :(

Kalou
September 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I know I am posting in the wrong section but there's not many people who post on the small animal thread.

I brought my Guinea Pig into the vets today because he was limping on his leg. He was jumping around the cage earlier so it looked like it was an injury from that. I thought at worst he had sprained or broken something.

When the vet got the x-ray he saw that there was a growth around the leg and also that his lungs did not look good.

He said he could biopsy the growth and if its cancer then that probably means it has already spread to the lungs. However there is a very slight chance it is not cancerous but it didn't sound promising since his lungs looked bad. He also said that it could possibly be a fungus but he really said that was unlikely.

I'm not sure what to do, I really don't want to put my little guinea pig through surgery, it seems like it would be too much for him, especially if they found out that it was cancer and they wouldn't be able to do anything about it already spreading to his lungs.

pbpatti
September 13th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Kalou I have no advise but sending lots of :pray::goodvibes:.patti

Love4himies
September 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Can they not tell by listening to his breathing? Poor Guinea Pig :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Kalou
September 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys.

The vet couldn't tell anything by listening to his breathing. When he got the x-rays though he said the lungs were supposed to show up black but in his they had white spots all in them :(

Love4himies
September 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Awwww :( :grouphug:

Sylvie
September 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM
:(I am so sorry.

It is a hard decision you have to make. :grouphug:

I will say a prayer for you :pray:

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your guinea pig, Kalou :grouphug:

14+kitties
September 13th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I'm so sorry. :(:grouphug:

Tundra_Queen
September 14th, 2010, 01:31 AM
awww I'm sorry to hear about your guinea pig, poor little guy.

I remember I had a hamster that ended up with skin cancer and loss all his hair and after trip to the vets I finally had to make the decision to send him to the bridge.

Could the vet put him on antibiotics to see if that will help? Maybe it is just an infection?

growler~GateKeeper
September 14th, 2010, 04:12 AM
:goodvibes: :grouphug:

Kalou
September 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks again to everyone. As for the antibiotics, I don't think that will help the growth. But I am going to call today to see if there is any pain meds they can put him on.

chico2
September 14th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Kalou, Guinea-Pigs are wonderful little guys,only you and your vet can decide what's best for him,but I am sending lots of:goodvibes:and:pray:your way:grouphug:

Kalou
September 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I now have him on pain medication so hopefully within a few days he will be feeling a bit better.

dog_lady
September 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM
since my last visit to the vet, i've become a skeptic

try for another opinion?

good luck! :fingerscr:angel2: