Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found gray/brown/tabby in Bankview, Calgary

Koteburo
September 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I heard a kitty meowing very loud and insistent outside and went to check and found this super friendly kitty that jump to my deck and went through the door.
She's mostly gray with some brown. The line of the back is darker, she has white paws (all of them), chest and belly, brown spots by the whisker and nose pad areas.
She's a very friendly and loving cat, seems to be very used to humans, trusting and well behaved. She doesn't seem to tolerate other cats though.
She's wearing a black collar with no tag, no tattoos and I didn't feel any bump on the back of her neck.
At the moment I'm keeping her in one room of the apartment with litter, and food, and I spend good time with her, at the beginning I assumed she was a neighbor's cat but I asked around and no so far and she doesn't seem to know where to go I had a walk with her outside.
I have another cat but she charges when she sees her that's why I keep them separate, I wouldn't like any of the 2 kitties to get hurt.

"Luna" (her temp name) is really adorable, friendly, she likes to groom a lot, lick your hand and sniff your nose, well behaved, doesn't destroy the stuff in the room. She just doesn't like other kitties. I would really love seeing her finding her home.
Please help her to find her way back
I included a pic of her.

You can email me any time at cbruneski@email.com I'll be checking daily
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8065/lunanq.jpg

chico2
September 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
She's a little beauty,hopefully you can find her owners,or else a good home:fingerscr
Most cats when they first meet will not be agreeable,if you decide to keep her,we can help you to properly introduce them to each other.

NoahGrey
September 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
You won't able to feel the chip, if this cat is chipped at all. Also have your contacted shelters in the area and fill out a found report. Also also vet clinics in the area. Some people contact them as well. I would put up posters in the area that you have found this cat.

Koteburo
September 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am in a dilema...
For me it takes like 2 mins to become attached to an animal so I'm already sad to think about letting her go (unless I find her rightful owners) but on the other side I have a kitten waiting for me from a former neighbor her cat had a litter and since birth we agreed I was keeping one.

I have a cat, Scully. My place is not big so I thought 2 cats would be OK but 3 cats seems too much. BTW Luna just jumped to my lap purring and giving me her little kitty kisses on the nose.
I will do the posters in the area thing, it might work. And I did fill out a found report for a very used thing called "Petlynx" and on another site.

Also she doesn't just hiss at scully she charges >.<

If the owners don't call then what should I do?
I want to keep her but what about the kitten :(
Any advice? I sure could use some.

Koteburo
September 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Update!!!
I looked more carefully while she was relaxing and with light I could see that inside her right ear there's a tattoo!!! :cloud9:

Please what can I do to find her owners. Do you know how to proceed once a tattoo is found?

growler~GateKeeper
September 14th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Update!!!
I looked more carefully while she was relaxing and with light I could see that inside her right ear there's a tattoo!!! :cloud9:

Please what can I do to find her owners. Do you know how to proceed once a tattoo is found?

Write down the letter/number combination exactly as written & triple check you have the right ones.

You can either call your vet or the SPCA, they will have a registry book of what clinics have the tattoos combinations.

In Alberta there will be 2-4 letters first, followed by number(s). The first letter designates the year, the rest of the letters (there will be either 1, 2 or 3 more) designate which clinic, the numbers that follow are the individual number for that cat.

Once you determine which clinic spayed this cat & what year it was done you can then contact that clinic & give them the info on the tattoo & they will check their records on the year/individual numbers which designate the cat. The clinic will have contact info for the client. If this cat is no longer a patient of that clinic they should have a record of which clinic the records were sent to.

You can then make arrangements to return this girl to her family :thumbs up

Koteburo
September 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I will try this tomorrow morning :D
I'm hopeful now :thumbs up

Thank you!

growler~GateKeeper
September 14th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Your welcome :goodvibes:

Koteburo
September 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Last numbers of the tattoo are kinda smudged a bit. I'm going to take her to Scully's Vet for help reading it.

14+kitties
September 15th, 2010, 09:43 AM
If you are still interested in keeping this kitty, depending on if family has been found or not, this is an excellent site for teaching you how to do proper introductions. These intros can take a very short time or can take months. The most important thing is not to rush them. :thumbs up Good luck!

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Koteburo
September 15th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Thank you so much for the info 14 and chico2.
Well atm after calling the SPCA as soon as I mentioned the tattoo they told me I had to take her either to them or the City immediately because that means the cat has a legal owner, so with a bit of tears I did. (And not because I don't want her to find home I want that a lot, but because I wanted to spare her all that stress of going to the vet and then they pick her up, and have her there, etc)
Anyways I left all my info and if after 10 days they are unable to locate the legal owner they will call me back. (I'm sure I will calling back to check on her before that time :3 )

I appreciate the help and the information. Even if Luna goes back to her original home <3 I have an incoming kitten so it will come handy.

I'll update this thread with what happens in the end, to give it some closure ;)

chico2
September 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Koteburo,I am sorry to hear that,they could at least have let you keep her until an owner is found..,I'd think it would have been better for her to stay in home rather than a cage at the shelter:(
Hopefully there is an owner out there who loves her and misses her:fingerscr:cat:

NoahGrey
September 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hopefully there is an owner out there who loves her and misses her:fingerscr:cat:

You would think that. Also, that the local shelter would have a lost report on this cat.

Koteburo
September 17th, 2010, 04:03 AM
They confirmed she's spayed and about 3 years old, which matches what I calculated in between 2 to 4 because of the smeared tattoo.
She seems very used to humans and well taken care of. Tattoed, spayed, collar. You'd think there's someone out there missing her.
I keep hoping they find each other again.

I went around the neighborhood putting found signs on the light posts yesterday. On the Community Online Bulletin Board and a number of online classifieds.

Does anyone know of a newspaper that offer LOST and FOUND pets ads as a free social service, and if not free for a reasonable price.
I want to put an ad on a newspaper in case her owners are not too fond of the internet.
(I live in Calgary)

And btw thanks for your replies :D

Koteburo
September 19th, 2010, 04:49 AM
:( Luna still at the Shelter. She hasn't been picked up yet. I'm not as hopeful as I was before. There's still time I really need some serious good vibes for her :goodvibes:

NoahGrey
September 19th, 2010, 03:55 PM
hopefully the owner comes forward. If not, you know she is in a safe environment, until she finds a new home. If her owners are not looking for her, then better for her..she can go to a home that wants her.

chico2
September 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Koteburo,I am sorry to hear that:(
What happens to her,if the owners are not found and nobody adopts her,is the shelter a no-kill shelter??
Did you find out if she's spayed??

Koteburo
September 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
She's in the Calgary Animal Services Shelter (The City of Calgary). I've been doing research until I found a report from 2009 I downloaded the Word file and it says that CAS policy is never to kill an adoptable animal regardless if they're at full capacity. Although I saw the report can anyone confirm this?

@ Chico2: Yes she is spayed. She's a big girl, she has the size of a male. I'm worried because she's very loving but defensive when you do certain things, like when I put her in the carrier she went a little nuts growling and hissing but I know she can be a good pet for sure, she's just stressed.

I married a year ago and we're starting and all that so I don't know if we can afford 3 cats. God I feel so responsible for her since she came to me I fed her, she was so loving to me :( I really want to do more for her.

Too bad I don't have my parents budget for a Catuary like theirs hehe :(

I've seen so much animal suffering in my life, I can't leave one that came to me defenseless or unprotected. Geez why do I had to be such a softie.

chico2
September 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Koteburo,we are all softies because we love and care for animals and like you,if you meet one and care for her just a little while,you love her and feel responsible,I absolutely know the feeling:grouphug:

My cats are loving and sweet,but when the carrier comes out,panic-attacks happen and they will all hiss and cry,that does not make them mean cats,just scared...

Koteburo
September 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
:) Thanks. For me this hasn't been easy, I have that worry in the back of my mind all the time (and sometimes not just in the back but front page ;) ), additional to the everyday worries that we all have.
Today or tomorrow at the most I'm going to call the person that is keeping the kitten for me because I can't let that little guy down either I will also call to ask how Luna's doing even if they're not very cooperative on the phone :p
We'll see how this solves...
In the mean time thank you for your replies I find certain comfort in coming and reading your posts about Lunatak (yeah she even had a nickname already).

growler~GateKeeper
September 21st, 2010, 02:13 AM
You can also pop down to the shelter & visit Luna during viewing hours ;)

Koteburo
September 21st, 2010, 07:34 AM
You can also pop down to the shelter & visit Luna during viewing hours ;)

OMG Why didn't I think of that before... Good idea :p

Koteburo
October 2nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
I am anxious this morning. I called the shelter a day before yesterday they knew who we were, they said they were still calling clinics trying to figure out that smeared tattoo.
Yesterday Luna was no longer on their website nor on the adoptable cats list.
I don't know if I should feel good or worried. I'm calling today. Well my husband, he gave his name for adoption in case no one claims. (even when we got the kitten 6 days ago. she and scully are getting along)
Anyways, I'm concerned about my Lunatak I guess I'll find out today...

Love4himies
October 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Maybe that means the owner was found :pray:. Good luck today :goodvibes:

14+kitties
October 2nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
:fingerscr:goodvibes: for today.

chico2
October 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
i can't see that they would euthanize her,when they know someone will adopt her:pray:

Koteburo
October 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Well you were right about that (all of you)
They wouldn't do that because they knew we were up for adoption.
Well today I called and owners went to pick her up (they even said in plural ownerS) so that leaves me happy and with a hint of sadness <3 my Luna I was almost picturing how I was going to do everything to have her here.
But my original goal which was to get her back home happened.
My prayers were heard I guess :lovestruck:
I'll miss you Luna, be good and have a long and healthy life <3